THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    What the hell is going on with Marlin prices???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What the hell is going on with Marlin prices???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Obviously I’m out of the loop....I was looking at various models of Marlin 1895’s online today and am totally in shock by the prices I’m seeing. Rifles that were literally $700-$900 three or four years ago are now selling on the used market for $1,500-$3,000?!?!

What the hell is going on???

I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy that I’ve wanted to sell for some time, in order to buy one of the shorter 1895’s....but just haven’t gotten around to it. Guess I should have done it earlier. Does anyone know what is causing this seemingly random increase in demand on these guns?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Before October you could find them for $900 or less...even the JM stamped.

When Remington sold Marlin I think production halted and you couldn't find them on the shelves. The XLR's are bringing over $1500/ea for a few years now..missed out on a stainless XLR earlier this year in .4570.

I remember your 1895 Cowboy, You had hunted with it years ago and posted a report on here. You should keep it and see if Ruger takes care of the Marlin name and quality control. I hope they do, but if they go through 6mo-1yr of bad quality then the JM Marlins should shoot up in value again. (Like they did when the Remlins came out)

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
mmmm?

At those prices, you could afford a Winchester!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I bought a marlin Xlr in 30/30 for $650 in Brooklyn, NY in 2007.

I was going to give it as a gift to someone. At $1000 plus I will keep it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The Marlin Company is out of business. Many of the interesting versions and chamberings will never be made again. The cowboys, XLR's and many of the 500 run Limited rifles and the 410's are now marlin collector guns.
Remington butchered the rifles they made with poor quality and lower quality parts.
Now, Ruger will be making the guns.
Just as Pre 64 Winchesters are valued more than post 64 and WRAC riles and now off shore manufactured rifles..... Marlin is just following the same path. I have actually been quite happy as XLR's and 308 and 338ME guns I bought for $500 to $700 new, are selling as fast as I price them at $1700 to $2000. Makes my gun buying fund pretty full.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
I picked up 5 Cowboy Limited rifles before Christmas. This post makes me feel a hell of a lot better about that chunk of cash spent!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin went tits up, so expect all Marlins to go sky high, going to be a great investment, ala the mod. 70 pre 64 win..it just the nature of the trade.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the then-new model 1895s in 45-70 in 1976 at Gibsons sporting goods store. I don't think I spent much over $200.00.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
It hasn't been too many years ago that I saw 1895's going for $650 at Bass Pro Shops.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Of course in this day + time everything gun related is going for a premium.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Of course in this day + time everything gun related is going for a premium.

Yessir, so I've noticed!
This would have to happen after I'd been out of gun buying for several years and finally decided to jump back in. Mad

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
All the stuff from the "Good Ole Days" are going up in price. Guns, cars, etc.....

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Want prices to go wild on any gun in general, discontinue it, history is repeating itself once again..that applies to about anything, its the American way..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote