New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skinner sights ON A marlin 336
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any one used skinner peep sights on a Marlin 336?
Is there a better sight to use?
Thanks

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Skinner sights on a few marlins. Skinner sights are great. Their service is outstanding. You will be well satisfied with a Skinner sight.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Marlin 336 is old. Way before the crossbolt safety. The older the Marlin the better in my view. I just e-mailed Skinner, would like to know if the Skinner Express along with the front sight will fit.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the lyman or William foolproof. They just look better to me.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The skinner sight is indeed well made and should fit your 336 no problem you just have to know your front sight height. As far as the 336's go i have a newer 336BL(big loop) in 30-30 and it shoots great, no problem with fit or finish. I also have a m375 with no safety and it also shoots great, love those marlins....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Skinner armored peep on my Marlin 1895 Guide
Gun in 45-70 Works great. Give Skinner a call,
Andy will get what you need. You will be happy.

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Not on a 336, but on a newer production 1894 in 32-20 and a 1895 in 45-70. Neither came drilled and tapped for the Lyman sights like the older guns. Skinners are fine, although not the easiest to get adjusted, They do look slim and trim as compared to the Lyman or Williams type sights, although I do prefer the Lyman sights.

I just installed a Skinner express sight on a Ruger 10-22 and was lucky in getting it zeroed. I eyeballed the windage before shooting and got that perfect. Even with a high front sight, it still shot high at 50 yards, so I took it home and filed enough off the aperature sight so I could screw it down and extra 1/2 turn and that did the trick.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finaly got the Skinner sights on my 336.
Good fit on my 1959 336 and it shoots where I'm pointing it. I need to do the same to my other lever brush guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody got a picture of this sight or a email or web page..Never heard of Skinner!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I decided to install the Brockman Generation III front sight and a Wild West Guns Ghost Ring rear sight on my 1895. I chose those because I wanted to get a sight picture similar to what I was used to with the M16/M4 rifles. I also wanted to make sure the front and rear sights would be protected from bumps and falls. For a better view in the woods, I opted for the tritium model front blade. The pair works out very well. They are both adjustable. It was easy to adjust them to hit point of aim at 100 yards. They are robust yet sleek. Coming to target with my 1895 is just as easy as it would be if I were holding an AR.

These pictures show the sight combination I used.

Brockman's Generation III front w/Tritium insert:

Wild West Guns Ghost Ring rear:

Together they create a sight picture like the M16:

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pulled up that Skinner web page..That is really a nice looking sight, slim, trim. lean and mean. Looks like I could get one to fit my Win. mod. 63, 22. might have to do a little fitting.

I really like peep (receiver) sights, particularly on a DGR or saddle gun. I use the tang sights on my Win. 94s.

I had a Win. 71 with a modified bolt peep, the peep was removed and a trimmed low talley base was attached and the Talley peep slipped off an on the bolt. It was slick. I kept the base just in case I come across another Win. 71.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Skinner makes several options for your 336.
The Lo=Pro will let you keep your front sight (most likely) but any windage adjustment would be through drifting the front sight. There is a barrel mounted sight that fits in the rear dovetail (I have one on my 1886 SRC). The Express sight uses the scope mount holes on the 336 and give windage and elevation adjustments. You will most likely need a new front sight.

XS Sights are great, as well. I have the early version (AO) on my 1895 GS. Includes a new front sight when you order it.

Receiver sights like Williams and Lyman are great (I have several) but some people don't like the bulk on the side of the receiver. They are very precise and the settings are repeatable if you move them for different loads.
Skinner sights give a sleeker look.
My ony complaint with them is the cheesy outline font engraved brand. I don't mind him branding his product, but would prefer a simple rollmark. He will make you one with no markings for 35 dollars extra.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote