Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 39 vs Henry .22's..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Which do you prefer? I've owned a few Marlin 39s but have never had a new Henry. I sold my last Marlin when there was too much slop (from wear) on the bolt/lever causing excessive play..which in turn caused a failure to eject.

I like the action of the Henry and they seem well built. Also Henry has built a good reputation for customer service...also available in 17hmr and 22mag. I'm sure some members on here own at least one of them?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 39 is the Cadillac/Mercedes of lever action 22's, the Henry? Maybe a Ford Fiesta.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry heavy octagonal barrel, shoots as well or better than my bolt guns!

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Coiuragez The Marlin 39 is the Rolls Royse in a centerfire. (along with my Aschuttz 54, but that's different, right?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 39D from 1971 and the action is really smooth. It is one of my few lever actions that I can actually use the stock buckhorn sights. At some point, I would like to have a Henry in a 38-55 or 44 mag.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They both work and both will fling 22 bullets equally well.
As stated, Henrys are of lower quality, whatever that means to you, but, like a Yugo, it will get you from point A to point B.
As far as the centerfires, the Henry is a rip off (Ok, copy) of the Marlin operating system.
Do not confuse Henry, with the original Henry repeating rifle. Just the name.

Posts: 17020 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion there is no comparison. The JM stamped (pre Remington) 39A's are far superior to any Henry. Again just my opinion. I have handled both side by side and fired both. The Henry gets the job done but it has an alloy frame and is clearly of lesser quality than the Marlin. I own a 39A and an 1897 (precursor to the 39). Both run like well oiled machines.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is called a comparison.

Posts: 17020 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep you got me. It is indeed a comparison.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
The Marlin 39 is the Cadillac/Mercedes of lever action 22's, the Henry? Maybe a Ford Fiesta.

Pretty accurate assessment. I own both. The Henry has some plastic parts and the blue is dull and dingy. I feeds and functions just fine. The Marlin 39 ( have to point out it is 60's manufactured) is much smoother and finished much better. Both shoot accurate and feed well.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the old guns too, but I hate to see Henry get beat up. They make their guns in the US, they have great customer service, the guns work and are often super accurate. They're not all steel hand-filed works of art, but I'm glad they're around and I'll eventually buy one of their octagon-barreled lever actions. They're also doing some interesting things with the lever action magazine centerfire (Long Ranger?) and single shots. They've got a factory up in Wisconsin that seems to machine pretty well. They're doing the Marlin copies up there, I think.

I'm glad they're in the market, producing good, accurate, inexpensive guns. Offered a Henry 22 Mag or an original Winchester 9422M, I'd take the Winchester, but it'd also be 3x the price.

Posts: 1717 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
original Winchester 9422M

Nice looking and good shooting.

All my 22s are Winchesters!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its just opinnion and what the intended use is to be..

Personally I like the Win. mod 63 and the Marlin 39 in that order, but those little win lever actions are neat as are the the Win and Rem mod. 61, 62 and 12 pump guns of yesterday..

The Henry is a tad cheapo in my mind, they took some short cuts and they are not for me.

lots of folks just dont shoot enough to care, as long as they shoot and are fun to play with, and there is nothing wrong with that, or the farmer who packs a 22 in his truck every day can get by fine with a Henry. Just the way I see it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a big lever guy, but my son-in-law was considering a Henry .22 and asked my opinion. I compared the Henry to a Marlin 39A that was also for sale. I was impressed with the Marlin 39A and bought it for him. He loves it.

Again, I'm not a lever guy, but the Marlin 39A is a very nice rifle.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You made the right move and that Marlin is now a collectable and will increase in value on a daily bases so far, and that will continue throughout its life..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
To be fair, compare a Henry with a modern day .22.Anything made 50-75 years ago will be far superior. Is the 39 currently produced? My only .22 is a tube fed Weatherby. Someday I would like to try a 63 Win and an early 39.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Picked up another Marlin 39a (1977) on Saturday for $400.

Life is good

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a very good price! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll say thats a good price. I sold my last one for $700. I don't know what it is but I just can't get behind the Marlin 39. I had a Remlin and an old Marlin 39A. For me I like the little Browning but that is off subject.
The cowboy action shooters in my neighbor hood shoot a lot of Henry's. They seem to work faster with a lighter action than the 39. That's how they felt for me too.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 39 new from Jack McBride himself at McBrides Guns in Austin in 1977 for $120.00. Still have her + she still puts them in the same hole (mostly). Any variance is an operator error.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

I wholeheartedly agree~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
I prefer the old guns too, but I hate to see Henry get beat up. They make their guns in the US, they have great customer service, the guns work and are often super accurate. They're not all steel hand-filed works of art, but I'm glad they're around and I'll eventually buy one of their octagon-barreled lever actions. They're also doing some interesting things with the lever action magazine centerfire (Long Ranger?) and single shots. They've got a factory up in Wisconsin that seems to machine pretty well. They're doing the Marlin copies up there, I think.

I'm glad they're in the market, producing good, accurate, inexpensive guns. Offered a Henry 22 Mag or an original Winchester 9422M, I'd take the Winchester, but it'd also be 3x the price.

I agree with the "older gun' statement, but now the choice boils down to "do you want a collector or a shooter?" The "collector" buys the Winchester where the shooter buys 3 Henry's.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

I agree with the "older gun' statement, but now the choice boils down to "do you want a collector or a shooter?" The "collector" buys the Winchester where the shooter buys 3 Henry's.

No, the collector buys a Marlin 39. Just take a look at what they go for now! Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a fact~! I've owned my 39-A for less than a year. Now I see sellers asking twice what I paid for mine which was made in 1957 and in pristine condition~!!

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have a 39 Mountie that's a bit newer than yours. It's always kept ready for coyotes that show up around the house. It has its scratches and the blueing on the barrel is thin in places but I can't imagine it ever becoming a safe queen, it just handles and shoots so well. I got it from my ex wife's father years ago.

I can't believe what a model 39 goes for even before Marlin quit production. But they really don't have any competition for same the quality.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Thank you, Coiuragez The Marlin 39 is the Rolls Royse in a centerfire. (along with my Aschuttz 54, but that's different, right?

Never saw a 39 centerfire. But agree it is a Rolls Royce in rimfire, I have 3 the 39a my father bought for me back in 1952, I think I was second grade at the time, and then a couple of Mounties, a 57 year model and finally a 1964. I have gotten to like the Mounties better, they just handle better. I put the Marlin tip off mounts on them and a couple of vintage Weaver K scopes on them, one a 2.5x with German post , the other a 3x with post and crosshair. and quick detachable mounts. On both I have old Lyman receiver sights tucked under the scopes.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't say it was a 39. I said it was a 97 in .32 caliber. The .32 cal was sold with two fining pins, one for rim fire and one for center fire. A very interesting rifle to own if it was in any kind of decent condition. I own and occasionally shoot a S&W hand ejector in .32 Long. and I could reload for it. However there is still plenty of it on the market. I started buying my first at a LGS. Not expensive either.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'll be getting a Henry H001 for $240 next week, i'll finally be able to compare them side by side.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I sold my M39 Mountie carbine a while ago. Got to shoot a Henry a few week ago. I was impressed how smooth it was and very nicely finished. High polished.

At 50ft it was very accurate :-)

Posts: 6355 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJK, you are right of course. Not rechecking what I've written before posting. 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about every nice american made 22 made. Most I inhereted from my father. Win 61,62,63 and the 61 22 mag. Two Old savage 22 pumps (octogen barrels). probably 4 9422's / 94 22 mag, Browning T bolts, Browning BL 22's, Browning 22 auto bottom eject, Remington 241, Winchester 52, BAR 22 (my current favorite)
BUT.. Before all these I had a JC higgins semi auto, and a Winchester 290.
I shot litteraly 1000 upon 1000's of shells through that 290 when I was a young boy. It was really a cheaply made semi auto but when I was a kid it is all I wanted.
It finally gave up the ghost when the barrel began moving out of the receiver.
It was not actually threaded into the receiver but there was a nylon type bushing that held them together.
None the less I had a great time with that old gun. Honed my shooting skills shooting at turtle heads in stock tanks
I do not have a 39. Guess I should add one to my collection.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I’ll add is that it very possible to shoot a Henry to death. The marlin.......well I’ll let ya know.

I'm what you call your basic famous.

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CAl,
Every gun nut shoul have a Win. mod 63, I grew up with one, they all shoot as accurate as a bench gun, they feed like poop thur a goose..I killed dozens of deer in Mexico for my dads fencing crew on a 100,000 acre ranch he leased...A fine gentleman on AR ( most know as Norman Conquest) now owns that fine rifle, He caught me in a weak moment, a character flaw with me over the years...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ownership of a 63. I have 4 in my safe, an original, two repros made for Winchester by Miroku of Japan, and even a Taurus copy. I simply love the looks, the weight, and everything about them. You should definitely get another one, and don't overlook the ones made in Japan. The stuff made by Miroku really shoots well~!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think that the Henry is smoother than any of the Marlin 39's I own (& owned)...as well as cheaper. I think Walmart sells the H001 for around 280$ if anyone is interested.

Ordering a skinner sight for it and one of my 45/70's...but I can tell this one is a keeper. The Marlin 39a may be trading material...that's what they normally turn into for me.

Just like what RichJ said....Smooth and Accurate! I may need to look into their Big Boy / 4570 lines because of how impressed I am with this .22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Each person buys a particular item for his own particular and sometime peculiar reason. Some people tke better care of their possessions than others, I buy nice, nice, and I really give them loving care. I'm also retired from the accounting profession so I am a "value seeker". My 39-A from 1957 is as near new as you will find, AND right now it's value is sky rocketing. Henry values will never go anywhere. I like what I call a "back door" which means that if I eventually want to sell an item I'll get all my money back plus a few bucks to boot.
I see nothing wrong with buying a Henry. If I was driving around in the country with my rifle banging around and getting beat up in my truck, I'd probably buy a Henry. Sadly I don't live in the country, places to shoot are getting harder and harder to find. so now all I own are "jewels" to admire, clean, polish, and only get to shoot occasionally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
CAl,
Every gun nut shoul have a Win. mod 63, I grew up with one, they all shoot as accurate as a bench gun, they feed like poop thur a goose..I killed dozens of deer in Mexico for my dads fencing crew on a 100,000 acre ranch he leased...A fine gentleman on AR ( most know as Norman Conquest) now owns that fine rifle, He caught me in a weak moment, a character flaw with me over the years...

I agree with what you said about the Win 63. I love mine BUT, it's not a lever gun.Choosing 1st and 2nd place for a .22 lever gun is tough. Both the 9422 and the 39-A are very accurate with the 39-A being a bit easier to take down and clean from the breech. The 9422 has a bit smoother action and is prettier, so I'd have to close my eyes and pick. My Taurus 62LA has an receiver that looks like their pump but is a lever action. It's all steel, is nioe and light, and shoots quite well. I'm not afraid of getting nicks and dings in it. Some day I'll get a Henry. I like lever guns because I'm a lefty. It's just a shame that Winchester doesn't get Miroku to start making the 9422 again and leave all the safety crap off. I'd buy one engraved without the gold wash, no checkering, and nice wood~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I love that 63 that I bought from Ray but as lever guns go I love my Marlin 39 as well.

one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'll take steel over ZAMAC for receiver metal any day but that being said I did own a Henry 22 levergun, and it was a joy to shoot. It fed 22LR, 22L, and 22S equally well. I picked it up for $175, and I think it was worth every penny, maybe even more. My young nephew admired it, and loved shooting it, so it became his.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
today my favorite two 22s are a Mauser mod 1 sporter, and a Sako Riihmaki both miniture bolt clip fed actions that are etremely accurate..

I love the win. 63, 61 in 22 magnum, Marlin 39 to name a few...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120