New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 71
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a Winchester 71 of 1954 vintage headed my way. Dies and all the components enroute too. The first thing on arrival will be to pull off the scope and mount. It will then be headed to Bobby Tyler to have the holes filled in and for his beautiful case coloring and a red recoil pad. Need to find a Lyman or Williams receiver sight still. Can’t wait!

Here is the before pic. We will have to wait on the after

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you did good!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,you will like your 71,It would be interesting to see how accurate it shoots with the scope?all the best.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love 71’s! I bought my first one last November and shot a doe with it in December. Looking forward to seeing updates on yours.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hope you can have that pad fitted while preserving the original butt contours. That looks to be a really lovely specimen.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16344 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice 71. Please show us the rifle when finished. I love 71's.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the original M71 with a bolt peep took a lot of extra machine work to mount the sight. Unless your breech block is already machined for one it will take some work. I would ask pedersoli what it takes to mount one on a standard block?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
As I understand it the original M71 with a bolt peep took a lot of extra machine work to mount the sight. Unless your breech block is already machined for one it will take some work. I would ask pedersoli what it takes to mount one on a standard block?
C.G.B.

SOME had the machining for a bolt peep, even if they didn't come from the factory with a bolt peep. It requires complete disassembly of the rifle to mount or remove one. A reproduction one is $450 and an original will set you back $600 or more. Factory rifles could be had with any combination of barrel sights, bolt peep, or receiver mounted peep. A vintage receiver mounted peep will cost $40 to $250 depending on what you want and how patient you are.

I have receiver mounted peeps on my reproduction 71s and an original bolt peep on my 1937 era Winchester 71. Mine had the machining and captive nut but not the sight when it came from the factory.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to wait until the rifle arrives to see if the bolt was milled for the peep sight. If it was the Pedersoli for under $150 is an option, if not I will go with a receiver sight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it.s drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and the receiver sight is more accurate than the original bolt peeps by good bit..I like the Williams as it has screw slot adjustments and ignorant hands can't ruin your hunt..Ive never broke a Williams as some claim, guess I use a smaller hammer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well it drilled and tapped or a receiver sight and the receiver sight is more accurate that the original bolt peeps by good bit..I like the Williams as it has screw slot adjustments and ignorant hands can't ruin your hunt..Ive never broke a Williams as some claim, guess I use a smaller hammer.

I would be willing to bet that all your Williams peeps are made of steel? The current generation are not, made of Aluminum. The new ones can be broken if you try hard enough.... or let an airline baggage handler near it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the dies, brass and bullets in! Any favorite loads for the Barnes 220 gr bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
you can break anything if you try hard enough! Airlines can break an anvil with a powder puff..

The first thing I would do with this rifle remove that 'offset" scope and mounts and have the holes filled with a white hot plug then tig welded and rust blued..they don't show unless you get out in the sunlight on a hot day and look carefully..Jack Belk did one for me an it turned out awesome, awesome..I added an old Lyman receiver to it..

Adding a recoil pad to this gun won't hurt the value, the damage was done when they drilled and tapped the receiver, its not a collectors gun and that ain't all bad anyway..

My experience with 71s is most don't shoot for beans, if you get one that does, and a few do, hang on to it for life, you have a diamond in the rough.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the rifle today. It is not milled for the bolt peep sight so I will be putting a Lyman or Williams receiver sight on it. I just spoke to Bobby Tyler and am sending the rifle off to him Monday. He is going to weld up the holes and attach a sling loop to the forend cap and then color case the receiver, butt plate and forend cap and blue the loading gate, hammer and lever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can break anything if you try hard enough! Airlines can break an anvil with a powder puff..

The first thing I would do with this rifle remove that 'offset" scope and mounts and have the hoes filled with a white hot plug then tig welded and rust blued..they don't show unless you get out in the sunlight on a hot day and look carefully..Jack Belk did one for me an it turned out awesome, awesome..I added an old Lyman receiver to it..

I like the lyman peep, but not too easy to find these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent it to Tyler Gun Works this morning. Decided to go ahead and have the barrel, mag tube, lever, hammer and loading gate blued with the receiver, butt plate and forend cap case colored after welding up the scope mount holes. I cant wait!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby let me know that the rifle arrived safely so now the waiting begins!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Redfield receiver sight for it

one of us
posted Hide Post
That bolt peep sure looks a lot like the original, It would look great on your gun, and Im betting its better than the orginals..as I recall the machining was just two slots, and most of the work is breaking down the 71 to get the bolt out...I like it..A case hardened butt plate sure beats a recoil pad and held snug the .348 recoil isn't bad at all..Just my opines and you have a super nice rifle there, it should turn out great..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! I held one at the last gun show and it had the factory compass in the buttstock and was an early model. I really wanted it but the gentleman selling it wasn't interested in a handful of high end rifle scopes for trade. I think he was wanting between 1900-2100$.

One of these days I'll get one. .348WCF is interesting although I'd probably have to work hard to find components to reload so I could shoot it.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
What are you going to do with the Weatherby scope?

As long as the elevation and windage adjustments have not stuck together, it is a good old reticle-movement model made by Hertel & Reuss in Germany in the 1960s.

While putting the adjustments on the same turret was a dumb idea for the reason indicated above, having no erector tube to rock around makes those scopes tougher than most of what's around now.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a lever rifle guy, but have an interesting 71 story for you. A year ago, my wife, son, and I were in Kodiak, Alaska, waiting to fly out for a hunt. We shared a hanger building with an Alaska brown bear guide who was preparing for his hunter to fly in for a hunt. Although I'm a M70 man, I do know old winchester lever guns and noticed a very, very beat up M71 lying on a box. It had a saddle ring welded or brazed on the side of the receiver, and a new looking rear sight. I told the outfitter it was a neat old rifle. He was taking it with him as a back-up. He said he loaded Barnes bullets for it and said "I've tried them all ( bullets) but the Barnes ( 250 gr. I think, but not sure) works the best. So: there is still one 71 still working on Kodiak island, and probably many more thu-out Alaska. I heard from one of his assistants that the outfitter is a real gun guy and could have taken lots of different rifles with him, but chose his old 71.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well it.s drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and the receiver sight is more accurate than the original bolt peeps by good bit..

the factory switched from the bolt mounted sight to the receiver mounted model at some point. The later sight gave better accuracy. Sold my Model 71 last year, kinda' sorry I did.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you may have the original sling swivels with it. Those are very hard to come by.
I had an "almost perfect" 71 deluxe. Blueing was 99% and no marks on the stock. However some cut about 3/4" off the stock. I ended up selling it.
Bought a Browning reproduction some years later. A special run of a standard grade with the higher grade wood.
Still would not mind finding another 99% original.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The swivels are after market

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Did you ever find a receiver sight? I can't remember the gents' name but he used to advertise in the older version of Gun Digest (when that actually posted individual ads) from Ft. Worth, Tx. that carried rare + odd peeps. I bought a tang for my Win. 63 from him. Might be able to google his contact. Not much help, I'm afraid that I hope this helps a bit.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pacecars,

Would you mind sharing what type/manufacturer of swivels you are using? The Model 71 has 0.500" wide swivel mounts that don't fit the standard Michaels opening etc. I have some nylon/polymer swivels from a tactical sling that I modified, but I am not comfortable trusting them after modification. The original swivels are incredibly expensive as a result if you can find them.

Thanks

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did find an old Redfield new old stock peep sight on eBay at a decent price so it will be going on it.

Bobby Tyler is making the stud for the forend and putting an original style from the deluxe model on the rear

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
quote:
Well it.s drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and the receiver sight is more accurate than the original bolt peeps by good bit..

the factory switched from the bolt mounted sight to the receiver mounted model at some point. The later sight gave better accuracy. Sold my Model 71 last year, kinda' sorry I did.

So what was the problem with the bolt-mounted peep? Was it that the breechblock doesn't always lock up in the same position? As you may recall, the concept appeals to me at least because it does not require a cross arm that may get bent down against the rifle in the event of a fall. Can't happen? Well, don't trust such a set-up to your 12-year-old son, because if it does occur, he may not tell you.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to say what the problem would be with the bolt peep, as 71s are not famous for accuracy, most shoot poorly, a good one is a crown jewell..

bolt peeps will get you as good a group on a 71 as any other sight but if you get a good accurate one it will not, so Id test it and see and go from there, there is usually some movement in a bolt peep from one degree to another. probably in fit, A custom fitted one with a new bolt from Wisner would be my first step to accuracy I think..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
The Winchester M-71 is a hunter's timber rifle.
In that role, it has accuracy and knock down power that beats many of the newer cartridges. The 348 WCF can be handloaded with premium bullets, and this gives the cartridge an extra edge that was not available 60 years ago.
Woodleigh, Swift, Alaska Bullet Works all produce
heavy 250 gr bullets. They really do work in my 348 Ackley Imp, and really swatted a bull moose in
the interior of Alaska near Wien Lake.

I have found the Model 71 or 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF to be amazingly fast handling on moving
deer-moose-or bear at timber ranges.

Gary Fellers of Ft. Worth, TX will help you
with any receiver or bolt peep sights. The Lyman 56, 66 or Win 98 A does the business.

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hard to say what the problem would be with the bolt peep, as 71s are not famous for accuracy, most shoot poorly, a good one is a crown jewell..

bolt peeps will get you as good a group on a 71 as any other sight but if you get a good accurate one it will not, so Id test it and see and go from there, there is usually some movement in a bolt peep from one degree to another. probably in fit, A custom fitted one with a new bolt from Wisner would be my first step to accuracy I think..

Listen to Ray, you don't want some ugly sight on the side of a 71. When a factory type sight is available. Best looking lever peep sight ever! They make the rifle! Sorry to be blunt, but listen to Ray!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
https://patentimages.storage.g...ad0194/US2112268.pdf

I found this years ago, always wanted one, and don't even have the rifle.

Repro is $105
https://www.taylorsfirearms.co...bolt-rear-sight.html

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Patent wording is always good reading before bedtime but the type makes me nostalgic; I think they were still using the same Linotype font and setting when I had a go at it about 1983.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I always like trying to figure out what they called there project. Cause they sometimes make it very hard to find. But if you want to know how something is made, patents are the first place to search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 71s. When I had my machine shop, I fabricated a bolt peep for one. I had to reverse engineer an original and generate a set of fabrication drawings. The other had a side mounted scope that I removed and designed a scope mount to replace the side mount. My scope mount holds the scope in SCOUT configuration forward of the bolt, thereby allowing sighting directly above the barrel.
I had to disassemble the rifles, so I wrote a complete set of disassembly/reassembly instructions. Those instructions are on AR in a post under Lever Rifles.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
I have two 71s. When I had my machine shop, I fabricated a bolt peep for one. I had to reverse engineer an original and generate a set of fabrication drawings. The other had a side mounted scope that I removed and designed a scope mount to replace the side mount. My scope mount holds the scope in SCOUT configuration forward of the bolt, thereby allowing sighting directly above the barrel.
I had to disassemble the rifles, so I wrote a complete set of disassembly/reassembly instructions. Those instructions are on AR in the technical section.

Bob, I like to see how things are made, looked for your drawings, but need help finding them.
Can not find "AR in the technical section.
AR is Accurate Reloading?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoreBS:
quote:

bolt peeps will get you as good a group on a 71 as any other sight but if you get an inaccurate one it will not, so Id test it and see and go from there, there is usually some movement in a bolt peep from one degree to another. probably in fit, A custom fitted one with a new bolt from Wisner would be my first step to accuracy I think..

Listen to Ray, you don't want some ugly sight on the side of a 71. When a factory type sight is available. Best looking lever peep sight ever! They make the rifle! Sorry to be blunt, but listen to Ray!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120