Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 for Cape Buff?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted
Who has taken a Cape Buffalo with a .45-70?
What was your load/bullet?

Planning a buffalo hunt in the Caprivi in 2022 and thinking it might be neat to use my Marlin Guide Gun.

Thanks!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks have but here is my experience:

1. African bullet test project with 1886 45-70 and 45-90, both loaded rather warm, but safe.
45-90 with 450 grain Kodiak FMJ at 2150 fps was certain killer and usually shot through and bullets not recovered.
45-70 with 450 grain Kodiak FMJ at 2000 fps always killed buff and often shot through.
Both rifles shot Punch and North Fork solids through ele heads and into body - DRT.
45-90 with Nosler 300 grain PP at 2200 fps pinned big leopard into the sand - one shot and DRT

2. 1895 .405 WCF with 400 grain Woodie Weldcore at 2076 fps took Cape Buff with shot from behind left rib through guts, heart, and out between front legs and on into the woods. Tried to walk into woods, so 400 grain solid took out pelvis and dropped buff to the sand. Game over.

WRT loads, I have that data for my 1895 .405, but the Winnie 1886 project was a team effort with some custom loading, so I do not have details.

Also, we used cast, jacketed , FMJ, and mono metal bullets, but I mentioned the top performers above.
Also, be careful with Punch and NF bullets as they usually shoot through on all shots but possibly lengthwise.
Be sure of what is behind your target buff so you do not have to pay two or more trophy fees for one shot.
Happy hunting!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Rather B Hunting,
One more comment.
Not all African outfitters or DG PH have experience with big bore lever guns with modern ammo and hand loads. Some over on other forums have actually shown their ignorance with their statements and comments, often looking down their noses at anything other than old traditional rifles and calibers.
If you like, I can provide an outfitter name or two that I personally know have taken on a lot of levergun hunters and do want more.

Interesting aside= every land owner and knowledgeable PH that has seen my .405 400 grain loads or 45-90 450 grain loads seem to readily compare them to cartridges they know. Even more so when they see the results. Smiler
Real life versus BS.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the great info!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote