Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336 35 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
I think I have located a good gun. This one has what appears to be a Lyman peep sight setup connected to the left wall of the receiver. One of these guns has long been a fantasy project for me. What I would really like to do is get a nice bit of wood and have the factory stock duplicated, swap out the lever for a medium sized one, and rust blue the metal. Current price
Is $650. I know without pics it's tough to ask about value but the gun is in excellent shape and I think may be from the 60s. Thoughts?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think $650 is a reasonable price. Seen quite a few locally going for more, even over $800. I’ve got a pre-safety 336 in 35 Remington that I bought several years ago. It is the straight grip Texan version and it set me back $800.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. Research shows this one was made 1952. Would have to find brass bullets and dies.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Is this one what we marlin folks call a waffletop? Meaning not drilled on the top and the top has lines on it? If so, you did very well.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bluefish, I found one of these -- a 336A "Waffletop," not long ago for about your money. It had seen honest use, but not abuse, and the Ballard-cut rifling and bore were in excellent condition. This one dates to 1950, the first year Marlin chambered the .35 Remington. I have only shot cast in it so far, but did mount a Lyman side-mount receiver sight and fiber optic front for my 69-year-old eyes. Classic American post-war levergun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Is this one what we marlin folks call a waffletop? Meaning not drilled on the top and the top has lines on it? If so, you did very well.

Confirmed waffle top.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are nice rifles for the thick stuff, but not much in open country Im told...I had one in a Rem pump, shot a few deer with it, and liked my 30-30 better, but those Rem. m-14s were classic rifles and oh so well made..Myfavorite was the 25. The Marlin 35 is a nice rifle, just not my cup of tea. for the black timber, I like the 348 Win.71 best..Just my two bits and only my opinnion..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Confirmed waffle top.
well worth what you paid. The older ones also have a higher fit and finish level than newer rifles. Enjoy it!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
You did well. There are regional differences, but these guns have become very popular in AL. Have seen several in .30-30 and .35 Rem go for over $1K locally. I've got a 1963 in .35 and it's a great short range thumper.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the rifle. Good deal on a Friday: $600 and a box of cartridges thrown in to boot. Going to shoot it this afternoon.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fine job, Bluefish! Eager to hear your range report. Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Shot it this afternoon. Obviously mild to shoot. Shooting slightly low and to the right about 2.5 inches off bull. Dead deer no doubt but I want to keep shooting it to get it centered. If someone will send me their email and be willing to update a couple pics I can at least show what it looks like.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
A couple of pix for bluefish:

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Shot it this afternoon. Obviously mild to shoot. Shooting slightly low and to the right about 2.5 inches off bull. Dead deer no doubt but I want to keep shooting it to get it centered. If someone will send me their email and be willing to update a couple pics I can at least show what it looks like.

Take a 1/2 step to the left and stand on the tip toes a little and you should be right on! archer

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Ha! Think I am going to replace the front sight element since it is a bit fine and raise the peep and move to the left a skosh. After that, it's probably a lousy operator!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That Marlin is in fine condition. Very capable lever gun you have there, Bluefish.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved my M336 .35 Rem.----NOT a waffle top. Loaded it with 200 gr. Rem. or Hornadys with 35 gr. I3031. Sure worked on the New York whitetails. Had a Redfield peep on it with a BIG Ivory bead.

Good Luck with it !

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I miss my 336. I ended up trading and going with a Browning 358, but having a 35 Whelen I moved that one too. The little 35 wasn't very practical around my neck of the woods, but damn if it wasn't just pure pleasure to shoot. I have thought a lot about trying to find another one. I kick myself for letting her go.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Shot my first big game animal with a 336 in 35 remington. A cow elk at 125 yards. Fond memories.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine just bought a 336 in 35 Rem. + is looking for brass + dies. I posted on the classified forum for him but also texted him the page from Donaldson's book on cartridge conversion how to make his own. I do know that he would like some with the correct headstamp. He also said he was having a hard time finding 35 cal bullets but I have a lot of them + can help him out there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice clean gun, those Marlins sure are slick actions..I like them had a couple of 30-30s and one 25-36 rifle but got talked out of it, wish I had kept that one..but I have my 94s in 25-35..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've owned about a dozen Marlins in .35 Rem traded them all off except for a numbered 336D, special Davidson run a clone of their 45-70 Guide gun (which I have) ported barrel etc.. I load a 170gr flat nose bullet for it. With that bullet I have lostcount how many deer black bear and even elk I and my son have killed with it. Sweet little smooth action firearm.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$650 is more than reasonable for that rifle IMO..Marlins btw have taken a price hike recently for a number of reasons..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120