THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    I THINK I'M ABOUT TO BUY A HENRY 45-70.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I THINK I'M ABOUT TO BUY A HENRY 45-70.......
 Login/Join

posted
I THINK I'M ABOUT TO BUY A HENRY 45-70......
FIRSTLY, I WOULD PREFER A NEW MARLIN COWBOY, BUT THOSE ARE HARD TO COME BY AND MORE $$ THAN I WANT TO SPEND RIGHT NOW. MY NEXT PREFERENCE IS A NEW MARLIN GS, BUT I HAVEN'T MET ONE WORTH MY HARD EARNED MONEY (AND I'VE HANDLED A FEW). SO, NOW MY ATTENTION IS FOCUSED ON THE HENRY. THERE'S A STORE IN TOWN THAT WILL HAVE ME ONE ON FRIDAY FOR AROUND $650.00.

I AM STILL OPENED TO OTHER NEW 45-70 LEVER SUGGESTIONS IF YOU HAVE ANY??

DOES ANYONE HAVE NEW INFORMATION ON THE HENRY? (I'VE TRIED TO READ EVERYTHING I COULD ABOUT THEM ON THE INTERNET.) FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get a new one for $650 grab it. They sell online for about $700 plus shipping and fee's.
I own one, its accurate and slick. Not much more else to say. Much nicer than either of the two Marlins I owned previously. Mine carries a Leupold 1.5x5 on it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would check Davidsons and see if the have any of the Winchester 86's in stock or if one of the dealer's does. It will be double the money, but for me the 86 would be worth it.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I too wanted a Marlin Cowboy years back and then I tried an 1886 and was hooked:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

The one thing that turns me off about the Henry is the fact that it does not have a loading gate. ie, You load the magazine like a 22 LR, through a slot in the mag tube...

Just curious on how you like that system.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get an 86;

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Weigh your options -- on a scale, I mean. Then find a used New Haven Marlin.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Snowwolfe

The one thing that turns me off about the Henry is the fact that it does not have a loading gate. ie, You load the magazine like a 22 LR, through a slot in the mag tube...

Just curious on how you like that system.

At first thought I would dislike the loading tube but the more I use it the more I like it. Some guys will argue you lose the ability to load as you have the rifle shouldered but this is a non issue. If you need more than 5 rounds to anchor a critter something else is wrongSmiler

Most of the issues I had with my two previous 45-70's Marlins were with shells jamming inside the loading gate. Never once had a feeding or ejecting issue with the Henry. One thing that has really grown of me is now I can load the Big Boy, 22 mag, and 22 LR all the same way.
Plus it is easier to unload them, just remove the tube and dump out the shells.

I enjoy my 1886 and 1895 but am betting my scoped Henry spends more time in the woods than either in the coming years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
86 lite weight

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you shoot trapdoor loads in the Henry 45-70 or can you shoot loads appropriate for a newer 1886 replica?

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr L. S. Wirthlin:
Do you shoot trapdoor loads in the Henry 45-70 or can you shoot loads appropriate for a newer 1886 replica?

I can shoot full power reloads designed around what the Marlin or 1886 can handle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy the Marlin it will be worth more than you paid for it if you decide to sell.I have two Marlin Cowboys now and they are slicker than snot on a glass doorknob!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go ,buy it and forget about the Henry!!!!

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1078981/m/5861004402

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe my shop has a 45-70 Henry for $575 or so.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote