New
Find
Notify
Tools

to sell or rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a BLR81 steel reciver that i bought new. it was made in 1992. my half brother used it 2 seasons and rubbed blueing off the barrel in a couple places and put a few scratches in the buttstock. that really doesnt bother me (well, the fact that HE did it does) but i really am not in love with the 243 caliber for hunting.

i am wondering should i sell it, take the hit and buy another rifle that suites me or should i spend the money i'd lose anyways selling it and rebarrel the rifle to a caliber i will use.
if i rebarrel it i'll probably go with a 7-08 or a 358.
any info on competent BLR gunsmiths would be great.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you like the rifle go and have it rebarreled. 7mm-08 or the 308 would be a good choice. The 308 would give you a bit more versatility and a bit more power. I never been much of a 358 fan in any version.

If you sell the rifle specially a 243 you get very little for, the 243 as you mention is not much of a deer rifle in any kind of gun.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning BLR in .358. I wouldn't have it any other way. coffee
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i already have a 308 in a pre 81. thats another thing that bothers me is that i have no magazine compatability. if i can get $450 for the thing i'd sell it.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see much need for a 7-08 to a man who already has a .308. Unless you're going to Alaska, you don't need a .358 either, plus by your post you aren't just burning up to own a .358 anyway.

If the gun were mine, I'd sell it to a coyote/antelope hunter for whatever I could get. Put the money in my hook & bullet fund.

I'll bet selling the .243 and buying a .358 would cost less than a rebarrel anyway, plus you'd no longer have to look at the brother's abuse.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think thats what im gonna do. the 243 is a decent SE WT deer killer i just have so many 308's its hard to justify grabbing a 243 blr when theres a 308 BLR beside it in the safe.

One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
You might consider having it re-bored and re-chambered rather than rebarreling it.

Check the guys at Clearwater re-boring/Delta Gun Shop. They do good work. Hamilton Bowen and others use them. They are really great to work with as well. Might save you some money to.

Good luck.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zzWop
posted Hide Post
My consideration will be that “steel†BLRs are no longer made and they will be sought after in the not too distant future. The alloy one’s are not so easy to re-barrel, they are essentially a “disposable†rifle (disposable could be a little harsh).

Reboring is not really a good option. Most honest barrel makers will tell you that it’s a hit and miss proposition largely because factory barrels are not as “true†as you might think. In a sense you might actually be paying someone to cause further damage to your rifle.
Sell it to a redneck that might appreciate a fine rifle – sell it.

I'd rather be hunting!!

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
You might consider contacting Jim or Allen at Delta Gunshop/Clearwater Reboring and see what they say. They have quite a good reputation reboring. Some VERY GOOD guys use them. I dont think Hamilton Bowen is going to use anyone who is "HIT AND MISS". I doubt the number of barrels they "cause further damage to" would be enough to even begin to worry about.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zzWop:
My consideration will be that “steel†BLRs are no longer made and they will be sought after in the not too distant future.......

Where you been...Big Grin...steel receiver are already in demand...

I sold a steel receiver BLR-308 and since then I've been having nightmares...and this was 4 yrs ago!!!!

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For reboring Dan Pedersen at http://www.cutrifle.com/ has a strong rep as well. I'd say go for the 358, and I fancy the 260 over the 7mm08

One of Us
posted Hide Post
most rebores look to be around $300. i'd as soon sell the thing at a cheaper price then find a 358. hell, if i clear $400 + $300 for what it would cost to rebore...
i am sure i can find something for $700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We'll rebarrel it for you. Give us a call.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZERMEL:
....the 243 as you mention is not much of a deer rifle in any kind of gun.

Come again, eh? My little daughter with her .243, and a short barreled Rem. Model Seven at that, took everything from Javelina to Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Texas exotics, and African plains game, with one well placed shot. thumb

And the advantage of the .243 is using lighter bullets for varmint hunting.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pics up in the classified.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about having it rebarreled or rebored to 338 Federal or 284 Win or 6.5/284. There are a lot of calibers that can be utalized----just use your imagination!

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Browning and have them rebarrel it..that is the least expensive way out.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever it's worth Cabela's Hamburg PA has a BLR in 358Win on their used rack.

It was still there as of closing time today
(sunday evening superbowl sunday 8pm EDT)

Marked at $650

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote