This years Pronghorn with my Model 94 in 30 WCF

Posts: 1205 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice. How far was the shot?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Some good eating ahead.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice. How far was the shot?

Waaayyyy out there. 120 yds.
Got a doe also.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Great job,well done,wish there was more on lever hunts posted.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wayne!

Pretty cool taking a Pronghorn with a 30-30 Winchester.

I inherited only one rifle from my father, a 30-30 Marlin.

Some day, I will try a Pronghorn with his rifle.

You have inspired me today!

Posts: 2575 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting. I like long barreled lever guns.

How do antelope eat?

Posts: 10586 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do antelope eat?

These Antelope live in wheat and alfalfa fields and are very tasty. Probably my favorite big game meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I think this will be my next Western DYI. They were like squirrels all over Wyoming.

Posts: 10586 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice work, with a rifle most hunters these days would say is of no use at all on an antelope hunt. It is easy to forget that Teddy Roosevelt thought the .30 WCF was the absolute bomb 125 years ago.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do I see an aperture sight in the picture?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. About the only way these old eyes can see the sights.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Wayne!

Your rifle looks to be in great condition, and that was good shooting with iron sights. Love that long octagon barrel.

What’s the vintage of your rifle, if you don’t mind sharing?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s the vintage of your rifle, if you don’t mind sharing?

It’s not vintage or collectible, although it is over 50 yrs old. It’s a Canadian Centennial commemorative made in 1967. It's a shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the long-barrel leverguns as well. As we age, a peep or ghost ring aperature sight is much better than trying to focus on aligning a buckhorn with the front sight. Bravo!

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, you are aging?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon, you are aging?

Yes, in 50 years, I'll be as old as you! :-)

Damn, now I'm out looking for long-barreled leverguns. I thought I had scratched every itch. I briefly had an 1886 in 50-110 with a 30" octagonal barrel. Wish i still had it.

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
You're welcome. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice antelope! tu2 I too, love the long lever actions and have a few. I recently purchased a Winchester Model 1873 with the long octagonal barrel in 45 Long Colt. Love the gun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive Wayne.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
quote:
How do antelope eat?

These Antelope live in wheat and alfalfa fields and are very tasty. Probably my favorite big game meat.

That is what I regard as real hunting at its finest. Very nice, and a hunt to be truly proud of! I got a pronghorn doe several years ago on wheat stubble out near Flagler CO. She was the very tastiest wild game I’ve ever eaten by far. The long heavy barrels and peep sights sure make accurate shooting at distance easier, compared to carbines. My brother, and I used a 30-30 94 carbine from a mesquite tree over a barrel of corn at 15 yards when I was a kid in west Texas (like shooting fish in a barrel- not real hunting). That 94 carbine was quite accurate, but I would much rather have a setup like yours for shots past 75 yards, or so.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some folks need to check the trajectory of a 30-30 when sighted in 3"s high at 100 yards, Its a 300 yard gun under good circumstances and ones shooting skill..Too ofter on AR I see trajectory figures quoted with 100 yard zeros, and flaming goes wild, and by some so called experts btw..set yourself a target at 300 yards and do a little shooting at a 10 inch bull..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was prepared to go comfortably to about 250 yds on this hunt, but the stars aligned and I was able to belly crawl to within 120. We practice at 200 to three hundred yds. and those shots are easy when you know your trajectory. The rifle I used on this hunt is sub-MOA with a couple of different bullets. It shoots best with the Barnes Original 190 gr., but I used the 160 grain Hornady FTX for this goat. Dropped him on the spot, DRT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was raised on a ranch with lots of deer and antelope, had family that did the same, and later had them on a ranch I leased for some time..If you live where the antelope live you get pretty close from time to time, same with deer, thats why most ranchers have a 94 or two around the house and they fit a horse really well also. I am more likely to kill a big buck when hunting horseback with a 30-30, 250 savage or 25-35 than I am walking or spot and stalk with a 300 magnum or whatever. and I will see more game, but that also depends on the terrain, Im talking Sonorian desert mountain country or forest country, not So. Texas bush..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote