Notify
Tools

1895G porting? (picture)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of exabit
posted
Hi,

Yesterday I acquired a very nice 1895 Guide Gun. It has a scoutrail and an Aimpoint Comp which should be real good for fast target acquisition but maybe it doesn't really go all the way in the "looks department". I prefer a naked lever action or a nicely scoped one, but anyway.

I became quite curious when I noticed the number of porting holes. It seems to have 5+2 on each side of the barrel, but I've only seen rifles with 4+2 earlier. Can anyone help me with this? Does it suggest a certain year of manufacture or has someone gone at it with a drill?

As always, much obliged for your response.

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Looks factory to me. I only own a 94 big bore timber carbine that is ported so I am little help on this one. Nice wood on this gun. I'd get that abomination off the barrel and put on a foolproof and it would be functional and very pretty! Big Grin dancing

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1895 45-70 has 4 + 2 for porting from the factory if I am correct. My 450 Marlin has 5 + 2 from the factory, added by Marlin when the 450 was introduced. Felt it was needed for more recoil of hot loaded 450's ??? Don't know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
exabit - just like taylorj I have a 450 Marlin that came from factory ported in the same manner. I also know of several others that I've seen with the same ports and in the old Marlin catalog I have it mentions the porting.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
Ok, but this one is a 45-70.

Sorry - forgot to mention that... Roll Eyes

/ Rikard

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exabit:
Ok, but this one is a 45-70.

Sorry - forgot to mention that... Roll Eyes

My Guide Gun in 45-70 had the 4 + 2 but I got it when the Guide Gun first hit the market. I owuld bet you are correct - when the 450 Marlin came out the standardized barrels for both with 5+2. Marlin is pretty good at answering emails - I would just send them one.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3456 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks guys! thumb

/ Rikard

one of us
posted Hide Post
exabit

Nice looking Marlin.

I would agree, the Aimpoint does not look "normal" on a hunting gun, being more suitable to a "Black rifle in the Desert".

However the Aimpoint is a very good sight, give it a fair try, you just might like it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote