New
Find
Notify
Tools

94ae 3030 winchester. Scopes.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can hear it already(scope on a lever action). My question is what would be the best scope to put on this rifle? I was looking at leupolds 2.5-8x36 scope. My eyes are not what they use to be. What do you guys use for scopes on your setup? I load 35.5 gr leverevelution and shoot 170 gr Speers Hot core. Sometimes I load up hornady FTX's. Hunting for me is over this year. I know my capabilities with that rifle. It took numerous mule deer and 1 elk. Thanks for reading.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hey, there's nothing wrong with a side mount on a 94 + I know for a fact that that particular Leupold scope is very good. I have it on several of my rifles.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir. I was seeing what other guys are using. It's my dad's gun. I live here in s.e. Oregon a community call burns. The shots can be long but I ain't turning the 30-30 into a sniper rifle either. It's one of my favorites. Or is my favorite cartridge.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is an AE you can mount the scope on the top of the rifle.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a ghost ring sight on my 94, but put whatever you want on yours long as it works for you and you're happy with it.

I put a 4X with a side mount on mine once and didn't like it as the great thing about 94's is how well they carry and it puts the scope right at the ball of my thumb which gets annoying after a couple of hours.

However, if I did it anyway I'd go for a 2X7X32 as they are a bit smaller. where I hunt its mostly woods and don't need/can't really use anything with more magnification but 7X works much better for me than 6X for evaluating racks at 90 or so yards, if that matters to you.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You tend to over scope it, its a 30-30 for shots to 300 yards max IMO and suitable for deer or elk at that range with a proper shot..therefore I suggest a small 2.5 to 4 X scope...I have a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan scope on my 30-30 Savage 99, along with a Lyman peep, its accounted for a couple of cow elk and lots of whitetail, coues, and mule deer..keep in mind that the 94 is a superbly balanced rifle, and big ugly useless scopes gain you nothing..

My 94s have irons, barrel mounted or grip mounted Lyman or Marble tang sights, the tangs give me considerable more accuracy due to a better sight picture...I find side mounts awkward with the off set feature...

But if a scoped 30-30 was on my agenda Id buy a nice Marlin lever gun, or an older Savage 99. but so far the peep sights work, had a little trouble lately with the barrel mounted sights, but Im 87, its time for the lookers to get a little worn..The peep should work for most curmudgeons, at lest for awhile..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don’t see a need to go beyond 4-5 power. My 30-30 I occasionally take deer hunting wears a Nikon 1-4. A fixed power 4 would make another excellent choice. Try to stay with a straight tube for looks if that matters to you.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Personally I would go with a smaller, more compact scope to complement not only the looks, but the handling of the rifle.
I have a couple of Weaver scopes on a pair of Marlin 39a Mounties, yes .22 cal rifles, but still full size guns. I have the Marlin tip off mount, with the scope in qd rings with Pictnanny to 3/8 adapters installed so I can go from scope to iron sights in a few seconds, The rings are far enough forward to allow for a Lyman reciever sight to tuck under the scope, as I prefer peep sights to rear leaf sights.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Additionaly the AE model side ejects and is mounted over the action an bore, not a side mount as on past 94s...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote