THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Tang sights on the big bore win. 71 and 1886
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tang sights on the big bore win. 71 and 1886
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone with experience with the tang sights on the win 71..Ive used them on the mild recoiling 30-30, 25-35 win and I like them, but mildly concern about recoil in big bore lever guns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Tang sight and folding barrel sight make a good combo on my 1886 45-90:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have used one on 1886 for hunting. after sighting in it is never moved. I wondered about it hitting my face or eye but did not happen. depending on how you hold gun will also matter. use shooting glasses helped my worry. never touched the glasses. more fun than the law allows !! have fun, god bless.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Domit,
Those sights om my 86 are Marbles.
The tang mount is available with two screw holes and one screw hole. The later is for late model Miroku made rifles with a tang safety. That is the one on my rifle and it proven reliable and accurate in Africa and North America.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray:

I built a 475 Turnbull on a heavy barrel Browning 71 10 or so years ago. Installed a tang sight initially to get the longest sight radius, but it occasionally ticked my glasses, leaving a slight mark. This is with a 400gr bullet running 2200 fps.

I then drilled and tapped the two sides on top of the receiver behind the locking bolts and installed an XS bridge, with an adjustable aperture. Found this arrangement suited me better because I didn't have to place my right hand around the base of the tang sight. Have since installed the same on two more 71s.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have an 86 that came with one. No problem with it hitting my eye, but it is in the way of my thumb in sighting the gun. I wrap my thumb over the stock and the sight base is in the way. I have removed it and gone to a Williams peep instead.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with the grip and tang on my 25-35 and 30-30..and have to lay my thumb over on the side..I have no idea what kind of receiver sight was on my gun but it left .625 wall spacing center to center and no receiver sight sells such a spread??? but I can barely see in bright sunlight the outline of a receiver sight...

To mount a williams or whatever will require d&T of one more hole, and I don't particularly want that if I can help it, it would hide the 3 holes soooo??..That said, the tang may be my best option?????? I hate monking with an early long tang 71 Deluxe..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have the same problem with the grip and tang on my 25-35 and 30-30..and have to lay my thumb over on the side..I have no idea what kind of receiver sight was on my gun but it left .625 wall spacing center to center and no receiver sight sells such a spread??? but I can barely see in bright sunlight the outline of a receiver sight...

To mount a williams or whatever will require d&T of one more hole, and I don't particularly want that if I can help it, it would hide the 3 holes soooo??..That said, the tang may be my best option?????? I hate monking with an early long tang 71..

Yea, the thumb on the side does not make for comfortable shooting if you have been using an over the top hold for 50 or more yeats.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Used them on many rifles; both Winchesters and Marlins. You have to learn to modify your grip; obviously the sight gets in the way of a normal hand grip. A learning process.
As for heavy recoiling rifles and tang sights; most of the big bore Winchesters don't kick all that much so not a problem.
If you are putting a tang sight on a 405, or actual heavy kicker, (which I would not do) watch out or it punch your eye out if you aren't careful.
Do not drill extra holes in a vintage 71. You know this.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPCD
I got a Marbles tang from Buffalo arms..It would require a front hole d&T, and it would not close down in one direction as it hit the comb folded, turned around and it would not let the hammer cock,

sent it back and the salesman said it was not designed to fold down!! I hate a stupid answer like that!! I just sent it back,

Now since its D&T on the action but the hole spacing is .625 and all receivers sights seemed to be about .400 I can't find a replacement peep sight to fit, called Lyman, Marble, Williams etc no luck, but I could add one more hole and use one of the existing holes and make them work and the base would cover up the extra hole????? I don't think that would hurt the value since its already been monkied with..I can't imagine what kind of a peep was on it unless its the discontinued Lyman 66?? and I don't know the hole spacing on that one..I can see an out line in bright sunlight of a receiver base of some kind??? Like I said, Its complicated, so maybe I will just shoot it with the barrel sights, but my eyesight is catching up with me a bit and a peep would be best..It reduced my groups with my 30-30 , 45-70, and 25-35 inches at 100..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Did you not see my picture of my Marbles Tang sight folded down and locked in place? On my 1886,some wood had to be removed from the front of the stock comb to allow the tang siht to fold back and lock into place below the line of the top of the comb.
I explained that recently on another forum and just now remembered to come back and explain it here.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
CR,
I hesitate to trim the comb on this long tang 71, I ordered one of the present marble and the checkered knob on the right side stuck out so far I could not get a good pruchase of the stock, and shooting it would take off hide on the top of my first knuckle of my thumb even layed to one side..The present day Marble I got did not match yours btw and also would require drilling and taping the tang...

Im going to look for a Marble? or Lyman? mod. 66 as they came on mod. 71s from the factory, and of course they discontinued them..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray.
Keep looking and you will surely find something that works for you.

Not every sight set up works for every one.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
https://www.buffaloarms.com/pe...-peep-pedusa418.html

Will this one work?

Does Skinner make one that fits?

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I feel Ray's pain - in the web of my hand.

Wanting my Winoku '86 to look authentic, I got a Marble's tang sight for the original Winchester (because those for the lawyer's safety were not sold here). My buddy turned everything around and shortened its 'tang' and put it over the safety slot.

It works well enough and gives good accuracy but where to put my thumb and getting an open sight to work for close shots is a PITA.

The Marble folding version is quite high and I've so far not found a good front post or sourdough to go with it. When I do, I'll probably have CR's problem of not getting the tang sight to fold down.

If I were starting again, I'd get a Skinner-type peep or even a Lyman 66 (despite the fragility of the cross arm) and remove the middle open sight. Then I would saw a bit off the front of the disc thread and screw and glue that into the housing, for a moderate aperture, good for hunting.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Lyman 21 and Buffalo Arms has them in stock, had one on my 45-90 and it worked..
the downside is you have to drill and tap a hole in the forward part of the action.. barf

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
The 21 is a nice sight, also.

Slim and trim with no big knobs sticking out.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith came up with the solution, he is going to drill and tap one hole in the Williams receiver sight and it looks like it will work and not even show..and it hides the extra hole in the gun..He said if it doesn't work IM out the cost of a peep sight not a Win 71 rifle, I like his thinking, He laughed and said, it will work perfectly..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Ray:
It will work but you would have a better sight with the Lyman 57 or 66.

I have a 21 on an 1886 in 33 WCF. Works like a charm but it would require D&T as you stated-not the way to go on a M-71.

If you change your mind contact Gary Fellers in Ft. Worth. He has mellowed in his old age. He has all the Lymans.
(817)346-9633

Ridge

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will do the williams modified as opposed to more holes..If the gun is accruate and I decide to keep it, I will then go with the neat mod 21...

My gun is the deuxe 71, at about 80% plus condition, just a nice clean 71 with one extra hole. it needs one of those old original win. peep sight that were inletted into the bolt, but thats not likely to show up..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I will do the williams modified as opposed to more holes..If the gun is accruate and I decide to keep it, I will then go with the neat mod 21...

My gun is the deuxe 71, at about 80% plus condition, just a nice clean 71 with one extra hole. it needs one of those old original win. peep sight that were inletted into the lever, but thats not likely to show up..

Is your bolt machined for the bolt-mounted peep? Not all were. An original sight will cost about $600.00 and a reproduction will cost $450. Or do Like I did and buy a beater rifle to get the bolt peep sight off of.
Removing and installing the bolt peep is not for the faint of heart. You will be well acquainted will ALL of the parts of your Model 71 when you are finished.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My smith took the slide out of the williams and measured it, drilled the sight itself under the slide, used the original hole, worked like a charm doesnt show and didn't have to add a hole to the gun.. It worked!! dancing

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120