THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Titanium lever actions? Seems like a good idea to me.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titanium lever actions? Seems like a good idea to me.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Titanium lever actions? Lighter, less upkeep and perhaps stronger? Was thinking an 1886 in titanium would be a dream to carry. Thoughts?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit steam-punk. What would it cost to make one?

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would be cost prohibitive and would have to be a pet project for a machinist... that said, I am wondering about merits. What actions would make sense to reproduce in titanium? Which ones would offer the greatest weight advantage? My first thoughts were Marlin 1895 in a guide gun set up and a Winchester 1895 carbine.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably the ones that stretch from pressures over 45-K would be a good place to start.

you could do something silly like build a savage 99 in the 300WSM.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Though it would be cost prohibitive, it would lighten my 1886 with 26 inch full octagon barrel.
Of course that would increase recoil. so,,,

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning BLRs and Henry Long Rangers have aluminum receivers in large calibers.No need for titanium.I have owned two rifles with titanium receivers and in both the bolt galled.Useless as actually no stronger than steel,just lighter.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You install steel inserts for the locking bolts to abut.
But, way too expensive to actually do because no one would buy them.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking the 1886 as an example, there is already a lot of weight you can play with by slimming down the barrel and using shorter mag tubes. There’s probably a 3-4lbs difference between a 26” octagonal full mag to a 20” light profile barrel half mag. You can get an 1886 down to around 7lbs and you wouldn’t want one any lighter for a large caliber.

However it would be nice to see more options in SS.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thought is: Why? Triple the price to drop a pound or so of an already light gun? Winchester 1895's and 1886's arent heavy for the rounds they fire.
Not really saving any upkeep as it doesnt take anything special to wipe the outside of the action now and then. The internals wouldn't be my different so...

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess the idea is the all weather lever gun that is a joy to carry often and shoot only a few times because it bites and barks. Think of it as a bear defense gun that you carry for defense but is a %#$&@ to shoot. How light could you get a Marlin clone guide gun in 45-70?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 16" barrel and synthetic furnature you could get the 1895 Marlin down to standard 16" 92 Trapper weight. A sub 6 pound trapper isnt at all hard to carry and a hot .45 Colt is a formidable round.
And now were down to paying for nothing more than ounces. You could easily get a current manufactured 1894 in .450 Marlin and cut it back to 16" and arrive at or near the same weight. Or spend even more for synthetics fur nature that would lighten it up even more. All while spending much less than a custom Ti action.
I guess if a guy had the money to burn it would be a good conversation piece but it seems like there are easier ways to drop a pound or so of weight.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if cost wasn't a factor how far could you take it.
titanium stocks.
barrel sleeve.
receiver.
mag tube.
bolt housing.
you'd need steel inserts and many steel internal parts but right down to the trigger and trigger guard and the lever itself.

if the round were kept to say something like a 257 or 6.5 caliber it's still be potent enough to hunt with and have plenty of range without recoil becoming an issue.
you could even go titanium on the scope itself.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I am betting there are a damn sight more folks wanting to pontificate on the idea than there would be willing to pay for one.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
raises his hand..

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Maybe start with an aluminum or titanium lever loop?

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
A titanium 1886 never occurred to me, but an aluminum alloy 1866 has. It's a somewhat heavy rifle for such a light recoiling round. Henry's (1860) are really heavy for what it puts out, and a lined aluminum extrusion for the barrel/magazine would be interesting (along with that aluminum frame).

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy an 86 in titanium, would generate lots of snappy recoil in gun that was never designed to calm recoil in the first place..86 lovers like blue and wood for the most part, nostalgia is part of the 8s DNA, but to each his own..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I like my 1886 .45-90 the way it is!

I do need to take a new picture to show the folding barrel sight.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of an old analogy...

If a job took 2 Chinese 2 hours to complete a task, it would take:

The English 2 hours and 20 minutes because they would demand a tea break.

The Germans wouldn't even consider the task without a full set of blueprints

And the Americans would spend 3 months trying to figure out how to perform the task in 10 minutes with power equipment...

dancing

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
probably the ones that stretch from pressures over 45-K would be a good place to start.

you could do something silly like build a savage 99 in the 300WSM.

I believe you need to read up on that new Weatherby 6.5 and their new action for it. One is made of titanium and there are draw backs. They said it stretches.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
How about a Ti 99 savage clone. Do it up tech with a carbon barrel, carbon stocks and integral picatinny rail. Make it a take down switch barrel 358 Win. 6.5 creedmoor.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Now you are in to something. Those would be two great chamberings. The 99 is too heavy for some of those smaller chamberings. Timan... Since you are the king of titanium, what other actions an you see that would benefit from a titanium diet? Have you made a micro mauser like the CZ527?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Boom,
I've never done the micro, but that too would be unique. I probably would go more towards a yugo mini than the 527.
I've done the small ring Kurtz in titanium along with the intermediate an standard length.
I've given some consideration to the Dakota 76 in both standard and short configuration, in titanium of course. The reason I say Dakota 76 is its basically a pre-64 with better execution and small yet beneficial changes in design.
Here's a nutty one for ya. Dakota M10 in titanium, carbon barrel, with an AR15 keymod picatinny forend, short 17" barrel threaded for one of the short T-Beast cans. AR15 keymod picatinny forend. AR 15 grip and collapsing butt stock, take down, caliber exchange, w/o or common tool. It would be kind of a millennial falling block rifle. Maybe lose the underleaver for a side leaver thats all skeletonized and bad ass looking.
Crazy right?

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote