New
Find
Notify
Tools

348 Outing In East Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Met my son and family at our East Texas place. After lots of fireside palabering we retired for the evening.
Next day we gathered at our shooting stations and commenced to splatter 200 and 250 grain bullets on a "gong" target set at about 235 yards. Bullet velocity was around 2000 fps.
Was great fun.
All the shooting was offhand, with no artificial supports. We were beginning our practicing for a Fall elk hunt.
The target is a 12 in X 12 in stainless steel plate (1 inch thick) with an extra quarter inch think energy depletion steel plate on the front.
We were hitting the gong about 4 out of 6 shots.
The energy depletion plate did a good job and the bullets made divots that didn't go through that thinner plate.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun and I would have been doing something similar except for farm chores.
Vicious cycle - cold wet weather limits time for most tasks and each bit of sunny break requires that you work and play later.
We needed the rain, but enough is enough!I

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stroked up with some good Woodleigh bullets the .348 is an excellent elk rifle at 200 yards give or take 50 yards on either side of the elk! and that's good off hand shooting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've never shot anything more than a few Texas hogs with mine but to me it is "the" North Woods plaid shirt moose and bear rifle. Not that I'll ever set foot in the great white north for that unless they let you shoot moose in July..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Win. Mod. 71 when living in Alaska, sold it and several other firearms when moving back to lower '48 but missed it so much got me one of those Browning Mod. 71's. A bit much for WV deer but it is a fine rifle. Like the caliber so much that re barreled a Ruger No.1 to 348 scoped w/ Leupold 2.5 German three post reticle.
Won't find the ammo on store shelves so managed to build up couple lifetimes of ammo, bullets,and brass. In my humble opinion consider the 71/348 combo best lever gun ever made, but that is just me.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I been searching the internet for one..always loved that old gun..but I only have a small stash of brass as I sold some recently, my bad..I hesitate to buy one as they are damn costly, just because of the ammo situation and I see no way to make brass for it..Is there any case that will reform to 348 with a set of case forming dies?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not many of us left that palaber anymore....

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I been searching the internet for one..always loved that old gun..but I only have a small stash of brass as I sold some recently, my bad..I hesitate to buy one as they are damn costly, just because of the ammo situation and I see no way to make brass for it..Is there any case that will reform to 348 with a set of case forming dies?

You might call RCBS. The 348 case is a shortened and tapered down 50-110 case. Starline makes 50-110 cases, but their case walls may be too thick. Not sure.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
All this .348 talk is giving me cold sweats. Please don't post photos of your guns, fellas, as I am weak and easily swayed/enabled.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
I have have 348 win brass listed for sale in the classified section of this form.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this post stirred my memories and I found a really nice shooter 71 on AR and bought it from a fine gentleman..Getting it fixed up and ready to go.

Actually the 348 was designed to compete with the 30-06, according to the experts who know these things, and ballistically it does just that for all practical purposes up to 200 yards, and that's no slight praise.

The 348 mod. 71 has always held a special place with me, workmanship, design, shotgun pointability, and just plain beauty..Not the most inherently accurate round I have played with but good enough to do what it was designed to do..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are two pictures of the 71 I have that was drilled. I designed and machined the scope mount.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
A good example of American ingenuity, simple and it works and you didn't have to devalue your gun with holes or so it seems, It rests on the receiver ring and utilizes the dovetail..Nice work. The bolt peep obstructs the scope, so take it off and send it to me! dancing I know, nice try, but no ceegar!! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Johnn
posted Hide Post
The 348WCF is my #1 favorite lever gun/calibre combo. Initially I had a standard grade model 71 Winchester and five minutes after I decided to part with it I kicked my butt for doing so. However, sometimes, things work out for the best. A couple of years ago I made up for that initial error and purchased a model 71 deluxe at a local gun show. Mint! Wink This one I keep.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me. I have never had a 71, but have lusted for one for years!

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The elk hunt that I practiced for was completed in October. The write-up in in the Americn Big Game forum under Wyoming Elk Hunt At Triangle-X Ranch.
I fully expected that I would take the 71 on that elk hunt, but after a lengthy discussion with the outfitter, I decided it wasn't appropriate. The outfitter said that almost every elkopportunity in that area would be at 300 yards or greater.He was right.
So as not to have wasted the practice with my 71, I decided that I would take it to my East Texas place (250 acres with 1-1/4 miles along Cunningham Creek, about 30 miles North and a bit West of MArshall.)
We will be deer and hog hunting. Back in September I loaded my corn feeder and set it to spread about 2 Lbs of corn, twice a day. This was in anticipation of going there for opening of the deer season, but that didn't happen. I was back there after the elk hunt and was as last year, a bit surprised that there was very little sigh that any big game was visiting the feeder. A salt block about 100 feet away did seem to have regular visitors though. Don't have a trail camera, since the one I put there was stolen last year.
Am looking forward to still hunting through the heavily wooded areas for deer and have some hope of waylaying a hog at the feeder.

Bob Nisbet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this thread caused me to buy another .348, A win. but I ended up refinishing it and then of course someone had to have it so ended up selling it..Mopped around the house wishing I hadn't done that, so jumped on the AR classified in search of another old rough 71 to stick in a saddle scabbard and Mr. Bill from Oregon that posts here regularly and who I have purchased guns from in the past calls me and has this mint Browning 71, so I jumps on that. Got it right after elk season (shot a nice big cow with my .338) and bought his dies and some ammo and bullets to go with it...It shoots good, especiall with any 250 gr. bullets and with 200 gr. Silvertips, not so good with Barnes 220 grs, ( a favorite of mine) at least not with the load I used, so Ihave a year to work on that....I'll keep this 71 if the creek don't rise..I don't like being without a .348..There is a swampy place just North of Sun Valley where the timber is unmercifully thick, and its made for the .348 Win. and the Williams fool proof sight I stuck on it. Can't wait til next elk season, some big bulls in that nasty place.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I was able to purchase 3 model 71 Winchesters all deluxe grade, but the one I like best is the one made in 1936 with the bolt peep sight. I think these were the best lever actions Winchester ever made. Long live the 348.

Posts: 25 | Location: eastern pa. | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could use a set of sling swivels for my 71 anyone have any thoughts as to where I could find some??
Thanks

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Could use a set of sling swivels for my 71 anyone have any thoughts as to where I could find some??
Thanks
Zepher: I see these sling swivels on ebay quite often. I purchased a set through ebay once myself,but they were not cheap.Look under model 71 Winchester.Good luck

Posts: 25 | Location: eastern pa. | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again I sold my new .348. some guy thought it plumb pretty...turned around and bought a Browning 348 71..It sure does shoot good and its like new and got extra money in my pocket..

Apparantly the Brownings shoot better on average than the Win. or so many have informed me. and from what Ive read. Maybe, maybe not, but this one shoots better than all but one of the .348 Win. Ive owned over the years.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120