THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Who Uses the Lyman 21/38 rear sight on their Winchester Lever Gun??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Uses the Lyman 21/38 rear sight on their Winchester Lever Gun??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you use the Lyman rear sight model 21/38 on your Winchester lever gun, how satisfied are you with this rear sight? What front sight type do you use with it?
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
It's not a Lyman, but a reproduction made by Providence Tool co Well made, although not the easiest thing to adjust.

Here is a link to Buffalo Arms, which lists them.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Lym...162031.aspx?CAT=4096

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkingrph:
It's not a Lyman, but a reproduction made by Providence Tool co Well made, although not the easiest thing to adjust.

Here is a link to Buffalo Arms, which lists them.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Lym...162031.aspx?CAT=4096

I've got one of these on a Browning 1895 I had converted to .35 Whelen. The front sight you need will depend on the rifle you put it on. For the 1895, my only factory choice was a XS front sight. I chose to make my own out of a dollar coin. The Pattern 21 sight is very reasonably priced compared to an original Lyman. It comes with the drill bit and tap you need. Frank is very easy to get information from.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them on mod 95s and 86s long ago, and they are my all time favorite peep sight on the 95 Win, but I prefer the bolt peep on the 71 best of all and I have seen that 71 peep on an 86, probably a gunsmith installation I'm guessing as Win. never installed them on 86s. The 21 however is a great sight on an 86..

I always used The flat face gold Redfield Sourdough, still available today. The NECG partridge gold faced post would be perfect at .500 high and filed down to zero..It would take a bit of modification to fit it to a Win. rifle, but I did the NECG and a talley peep soldered on a Win. 71 bolt peep base. for a QD set up. It was sweet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm not a traditionalist. I use either the old steel lyman or Williams foolproof on my lever guns.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main reason for using the Lyman 21 and its counterparts is because you don't have to drill and tap an old very collectable Win. mod. 95 to install the peep..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
That's good enough reason, mine are all Japchesters, drilled already.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the Williams peep sight..The fact that it has no knobs is a big time plus because curious fingers can't fiddle with it..I have one on my Browning mod. 71, 348 Win. and on a couple of big bore Mausers.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120