Find
Notify
Tools

500 S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Has anyone on here purchased a rifle of this caliber from Big Horn Armory? How has it performed for you?Thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Mine is very finnicky. Both feeding and accuracy. It likes the longer bullets for both. It shoots the Lehigh Defense 350gr CF the best (2") @100yds. Also, it has a long lever throw which I don't like. It would never shoot as well as my marlins or 1886. It is fast handling with the 16" barrel as I put a fast fire 3 on it. I personally would not buy it again. I have a Win 1886 Deluxe 45-70 shorten to 18" barrel that out shoots it hands down and out performs it.

Just my opinion and findings.

Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments,their website claims their guns are 1.5"@ 100 yrds,is your gun an early gun or a recently manufactured one?

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Recent manufacture bought last May.

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Well I am going to re-think my aspirations to acquire one Eeker

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

This is the load and bullet I settled on. I have an affliction. I was raised as a target shooter. Taught to want groups one inch or less at 100yds. I agree it is not required for a rifle that is a 150yd gun at best but that is what I want. If the rifle doesn't perform after some serious load testing I send it down the road. Just my thoughts and opinion. I too would like to hear other observation and experience with the BHA 89.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Did you ever contact Big Horn about the feeding issues? those targets actually look pretty decent to me.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I sent the rifle back to BHA to have the scout rail installed. They told me it would be about 3 weeks. After 6 weeks I started calling. I was told they would get to when they got to it. Not what I wanted to hear. I researched the internet on the feeding issues and found its a common problem with the shorter lighter bullets. I am satisfied with those groups and how it shoots those bullets. As you know you could be one just like it and it would shoot every bullet you run threw it. I am telling you about my issues and findings. I have owned four Marlin 1895. They all would shoot very well. Again, I admit they are not designed to be target guns but hunting guns out to 150yds. They will definitely shoot minute of moose or deer. I am going to try it on few bears this spring and boars this fall.

Mark