New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sighting in a 30/30 Marlin 336
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am asking for some help from any 30/30 trajectory experts... I just can never work out ballistics problems!!

I have just put an Aimpoint red dot on my Marlin 336 (to go with the XS Aperture and foresight) and have spent half the afternoon trying to sight it in...

I have been using 150gr Highland ammo which kept on getting jammed in the rifle, Reckon it's the cheap ammo rather than the exctractor) and this really slowed things down...

Consequently it's now set at 3" high at 25 metres. All I managed to do... Mad

Can anyone tell me where the trajectory will go from here? Where would it be shooting at 100 or wherever. Ballistics and trajectories always muddle me -up, down, left, right Confused

Pleas help!! Thanks

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It'll be pretty high at 100. With a scope/optical sight you want it an inch or so low at 25 or dead on at 50. That'll put you close to center of the paper at 100, allowing you to make your final adjustments...say no more than two inches above point of aim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3" high at 25yards?

on a 30-06 that'd be over the backstop at 100yds.

I'd recommend that with a 150gr you sight in ~4" high at 100yards, that should put you dead on at 200yards

Try getting it dead on at 25yards before you fire at 100yd

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sight it in 1 or 2 inces high at 100 yds..Usually if you dead on at 12.5 yds. then your close to the above...The way your sighted you are going to shoot higher n hell, assuming your shooting iron sights.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote