Find
Notify
Tools

scope for 1895G 45/70
 Login/Join

Picture of spqr
posted
I want to mount a scope on a new 1895G.
I want something better than open sights. would a fixed or low power variable scope be better
for this. I want something for up close shooting
and still reach uot to the rifles potential.
I need a scope with a quick aquisition to get oon target i guese

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX-II 1-4x20mm

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stick to a low power scope.
I currently have a 2.5x20mm scope on my guide gun. It's a good setup for me but I am going to switch to a forward mounted low power scope with illuminated reticle.
Red dot scopes are good also but quickly loose their effectiveness as range increases. And you have to worry about batteries.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've settled on a fiber optic front bead and Lyman receiver sight after playing with the Leupold scout scope in the XS mount, a Leupold M8 4x, and a Leupold Vari-X I 1-4x. For a conventional scope I'd try the Leupold 2.5x compact; on a scout mount I'd look into a premium Aimpoint (or maybe Burris) red dot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bausch and Lomb fixed 4x32 on mine. Works perfectly for my needs (a black bear and a deer so far with the rifle).

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
spqr
I would recommend a Leupold 1.5-5 or the 1.75-6, either with the heavy duplex.

I have both scopes on different rifles, I highly recommend the heavy duplex.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Leupold 2.5, 1-4, and 1.5-5 on various Marlin .45-70s. My pick is the fixed 2.5 power. Smaller, lighter, never have to think about what power setting you are on, less to go wrong. If you need to magnify a big game animal you will most likely be shooting with that caliber, it's too far away anyway. Just my thoughts. coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2x B & L pistol scope, forward mounted in a "Scout Mount" on my 45/70 Guide Gun and LOVE IT.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1972 vintage 1895 (not a guide gun it has a 22" tunnel on it)
wears a 1970's vintage Steel tube (made in USA) 4x weaver
which I aquired recently and used it to replace the 2.5x20mm scope I originally put on it which I was unhappy with.

I'm not sure that the idea of a small objective scope is for the best, a larger objective scope is usually "brighter"

Also a fixed low power scope tends to be relatively hard to be precise with when getting the rifle sighted in.

Depending on exact use of the rifle you cannot go far wrong
with a larger objective scope (though a 50mm would be rediculous) much like you can't go far wrong by getting a better quality scope.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
spqr

I originally had an old weaver k-2.5 on this rifle but it just did not do it justice. I have since mounted a Leupold vari-X3 2.5 x 8. The scope is small and does not overpower the rifle. I have had no problem taking game both standing and running as close as 35 yds and as far as 150 yds.
gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodford
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my vote in for the VX III 1.75-6. I have it on mine and it is my new favorite firearm of choice when venturing out into the woods.

Posts: 35 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of gunnerjohn
posted Hide Post
I put one of the 2.5x Leupold Scout scopes on my Guide Gun. It works great for close up and long distance shooting. At first I questioned how good it would be at long range, but after a day of shooting I am convinced that it works great.

What do you mean that recoil can cause brain damage??

Posts: 5 | Location: Springfield, Oregon | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I used to have mine mounted with an IOR 4x32, an outstanding scope but with too low magnification for my needness (boar hunting at night, with very low light hunting conditions - full moon at best - and shots averaging 90 yrds) ... changed it for a schmidt & bender 6x42 with Leupold QD , and couldn't be more pleased, a combo that "piggies" have learnt to fear Cool

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I like the Nikon Monarch 1.5 - 6 x 42. Brighter than the Leopold scopes and a lot less $$$ than the Swarovski

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnerjohn:
I put one of the 2.5x Leupold Scout scopes on my Guide Gun. It works great for close up and long distance shooting. At first I questioned how good it would be at long range, but after a day of shooting I am convinced that it works great.

Hmm, long range heh? I was there and know for a fact that at 300 yards, plastic pop bottles are in big trouble, BUT I wanna see you hit the cap!

coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodford:
I'll throw my vote in for the VX III 1.75-6. I have it on mine and it is my new favorite firearm of choice when venturing out into the woods.

Without a doubt. thumb
I tried one of those "scout system" set ups and it just did not work for me. Major problem - at dusk it becomes very hard to pick up the reticle. thumbdown

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I have the scout set up in leupold QD on a rail.
I love it but I admit that it isny for everyone. If you don't like fixed power and the forward mount I would go for the 1.75 x 6 VXIII

I have that on my 375 H&H and it is great.

go to the link to see my guide gun

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZNXDhq3atFFqY¬ag=1

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spqr:
I want to mount a scope on a new 1895G.
I want something better than open sights. would a fixed or low power variable scope be better
for this. I want something for up close shooting
and still reach uot to the rifles potential.
I need a scope with a quick aquisition to get oon target i guese

I am with the others - variable power in the low- medium range. I have a 1.75 - 6x Leupold on my 450 Marlin Guide Gun and a 2 - 7X Burris on my 450 Marlin XLR. Set 'em to the lower limit and crank 'em up when the situation calls for it and time allows. I have never been sorry for the extra magnification especially near dawn or dusk.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping I don't go too ot but can anyone recommend a good,strong mount/rings arrangement for the Marlin while we're at it?

"...I hunt, therefore I am." James Hetfield

Posts: 174 | Location: N.E. Oregon | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Redfield base and leupold rings on mine and it hasn't broken in the 21years I've had it...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Besides rifle scopes, what are other good options for the 1895?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a first year 1895 in 45/70. I had an old Weaver steel tube 2.5 on it for many years. I have replaced it with the Bushnell 3200 Firefly in 1.5 to 5. It has been great for heavy brush at dusk and is not too big or heavy to ruin the rifles balance.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday

If you do not want magnification, but want enhanced "aimibility/hitability", take a look at the Doctor Optic red dot sight.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote