THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    high-power med and small bore levers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

high-power med and small bore levers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, seems one of the best things about a lever is its portability.
As quick as I'd jump at one of Mr Rick's 510 Rug Maker Express, it started me thinking about the other side of the spectrum.
The 358-348 Imp has always sounded like a great idea to me, especially in a Winchester, so as not to rob the powder room. One of Bridger's new 270g Flathead Holepunchers at around 2400 fps would do.
What about a 7mm-348 Imp, or maybe 308, since there's alot more FP bullets available.
I know there's been a slew of cats made up from the 348, but haven't heard much of them.

So, take a 30-30 WCF and rechamber to 308-348 Imp, and get 2800 from a 170g FP.
The BC of the Speer is a whopping (optimistic?) .30, but the difference in speed does amazing things to the trajectory.
My program says the 30-30 at around 2250, zeroed at 200yd, will drop -7.5" at 260yd with 1000 fpe.
Increase same bullet to 2800 fps, and you reach 300yd with 1500 fpe left, and only -9"!
A lower BC will only increase the difference.
For a light and handy dandy, this interests me.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote