THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 1894CL - Trigger Operation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894CL - Trigger Operation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey folks, I'm not a lever action guru, but I did very recently pick up a Marlin 1894CL in 25-20. Sweet little gun and cartridge, pretty accurate, I think it will make a nice trainer for my son.

Issue I'm having is when you run the lever action slowly, the trigger locks up, like it wont physically move. Feeding and operation is butter smooth and perfect. But it you run the action quick, more aggressively, the trigger works fine. Intuition tells me a spring issue, either out of place or broken.

**I might add, the trigger only locks during slow operation with a round in the chamber. If its empty and carefully dry firing the trigger works every time. **

I did just have this apart to clean the bore. Put lever/bolt about half way, removed the lever screw and lever. Removed the bolt, etc. Then reassembled in reverse order.

Did I miss something during reassembly?

Or should I be upgrading triggers anyway? Does Wild West make a kit for 1894s?

Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is your problem; Look on the lower tang just aft of the trigger and you will see a little detent that the lever hits when you close it. That is the trigger safety; it does not allow the trigger to activate unless the lever is closed.
It is not really necessary as there are other measures designed in so it can't fire unlocked, but anyway. that is your problem.
What is happening is, you say it works when operated dry, but not with ammo? Because the ammo rim is tight; and headspace is minimum. Or the bolt face is dirty. Your lever is not closing all the way; depressing that detent. A new trigger kit won't help.
Fix; squeeze the lever to make the detent, detented.
Another fix; weld some onto the lever to make it hit the detent earlier. Or tap it for a screw and file the head until it is timed like you want it.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't people check their posts for answers?

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote