THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Experience with the Winchester 1876 in .45-60?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with the Winchester 1876 in .45-60?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I found a Uberti clone of the Winchester 1876 in .45-60 at a price I could not pass up. I have a set of dies on the way, and some .45-70 brass with dings in the mouth that are perfect to cut down. I also have a Lyman mold for a 325-grain bullet that should work well in the rifle. I plan to use black powder loads, since I don't find cleaning after shooting them to be a big deal. Any of you have experience loading for the 1876 in .45-60? If so, any idiosyncrasies you have found regarding loading for it?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I have the carbine version of the Uberti '76 in .45-60 and it has been very hassle free with both black and smokeless. I use Winchester .45-70 cases trimmed back to 1.875" and Winchester WLR primers, and so far I've only used the soft 300 gr bullet that Buffalo Arms offers for sale.

12 grains of Trail Boss makes a very mild and very accurate plinking load, while 62 grains of Swiss 1-1/2 Fg black fills the case well with a little compression (no wad) and is quite satisfactory. Both loads get crimped firmly.

I haven't chronographed either one yet, but 13 grains of Trail Boss in a .45-70 only showed about 1050 fps.

Just for grins I did try some of the sadly discontinued Jamison .45-60 brass which has more historically correct rim dimensions (a bit thinner and larger in diameter than .45-70), but the Uberti is happier with shortened .45-70 brass.

I really like mine.

Posts: 965 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote