New
Find
Notify
Tools

new Marlins
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with more recent Marlin 1894s? From the last year or two? I know they have had their ups and downs, wondering what the current quality is like. Interested in a .357CB and it looks like some are out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have a good reputation, I havn't heard any complaints on todays Marlins.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look closer on the marlin owners site.
there is an entire section devoted to nothing but bitching about new marlin lever rifles.

the complaints have lessened over that last 2 years but there is enough to make me avoid them, or triple check any I look at for the most complained about problems.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a 336 30/30 at my local Walmart right now. It is as bad as ever. The wood is poor. The barrel band in letting is horrible. The front sight is offset.

Still ruined.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Supposedly they have improved some in the last couple years after the company takeover.

My brother bought a 336 .30-30 and I bought an 1895 GBL .45-70 in the last few years, both work fine. But I would still not buy one sight unseen. If it looks and functions well in the store it's likely okay. But that's true of many new American made firearms today unfortunately.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Supposedly they have improved some in the last couple years after the company takeover.

My brother bought a 336 .30-30 and I bought an 1895 GBL .45-70 in the last few years, both work fine. But I would still not buy one sight unseen. If it looks and functions well in the store it's likely okay. But that's true of many new American made firearms today unfortunately.

They could not get much worse after the takeover. I would not buy a remlin . If you buy a used JM marked gun it will be better quality. Not to say perfect. But the new guns have been subject to cost cutting like all the products under the Remington umbrella.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are called REMLINS. they, for the most part, suk. remlins are as poor quality as blasers are fugly

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:

They could not get much worse after the takeover. I would not buy a remain. If you buy a used JM marked gun it will be better quality. Not to say perfect. But the new guns have been subject to cost cutting like all the products under the Remington umbrella.

I also have a 1975 336 .30-30 so I'm aware of the differences. But there nothing wrong with my 1895 GBL either. Your experiences may vary. Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:

They could not get much worse after the takeover. I would not buy a remain. If you buy a used JM marked gun it will be better quality. Not to say perfect. But the new guns have been subject to cost cutting like all the products under the Remington umbrella.

I also have a 1975 336 .30-30 so I'm aware of the differences. But there nothing wrong with my 1895 GBL either. Your experiences may vary. Wink

Perhaps, I know the days of buying a marlin and saying give me a new one out of the back in a box that has never been opened are gone. If you are buying a new one today, you better check everything before you buy it.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
From what I've read at Marlin Owners...the Marlins (Remlins) made in the last year or two have not had the issues from 2011-2017. I'd love one of the new Curly Maple .30-30's. I wish I would have mailed in my dad's 2011ish GBL while it still had warranty. We may take it to WildWestGuns in Las Vegas and see if they can fix the cycling/jamming issue.

With that said all of my Marlins were made prior to the Freedom Group taking over. In fact, yesterday I got an 1895CB that is pretty rare to find in a store in my neck of Texas.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
From what I've read at Marlin Owners...the Marlins (Remlins) made in the last year or two have not had the issues from 2011-2017. I'd love one of the new Curly Maple .30-30's. I wish I would have mailed in my dad's 2011ish GBL while it still had warranty. We may take it to WildWestGuns in Las Vegas and see if they can fix the cycling/jamming issue.

With that said all of my Marlins were made prior to the Freedom Group taking over. In fact, yesterday I got an 1895CB that is pretty rare to find in a store in my neck of Texas.
you got a nice one. I bought a cowboy in 45/70 and sent it to turnbull and had it rebarreled and converted to 50 Alaskan. I still have the complete front end, including front wood. One day I will run on to another jm 1895 and make another cowboy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Marlin in 35 Rem about 2 years ago. I ordered it in. It had terrible checkering on the butt stock, but was beautiful on the fore end. Also, it shot light's out. I called Marlin and they sent me a shipping sticker and fixed the checkering. And the rifle is still accurate.

They may still be having problems. But they are anxious to make it right. I'd like to support them. I'm glad Remington saved Marlin from going under.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think, could be wrong, Marlin was in trouble before Remington/Freedom bought them. Now the Remington Group is in bankruptcy.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I do not think, could be wrong, Marlin was in trouble before Remington/Freedom bought them. Now the Remington Group is in bankruptcy.

I agree Marlin didn't need any help. The Freedom group was just out gobbling up companies and they were one of them. Things went south soon after. Hopefully they get it together again.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
the only place I have heard any bitch'en on Marlins lever action 30-30s is on the internet, and they are pretty popular locally and used on both deer, bear, and elk., but I wasn't into Marlins two years ago, I thought this thread was current...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new Marlin 336 less than 3 years ago on GB and was very disappointed when I received it. The wood was proud where the butt stock joined the receiver and the front sight was canted to the left. I sold it with full disclosure locally. The new owner wasn’t worried as he was going to put a scope on it.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
the only place I have heard any bitch'en on Marlins lever action 30-30s is on the internet, and they are pretty popular locally and used on both deer, bear, and elk., but I wasn't into Marlins two years ago, I thought this thread was current...

There are some posts for September posted after November. Never noticed 'no year' posted, but will check. It sure is misguiding.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've got a Marlin 44mag. An REP rifle that is as perfect as any made. I don't know the year. Remington started in 2011?

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote