New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Of late, I have a building interest in acquiring another 99 Savage. Had one years ago that was stolen.

For some reason a 303 Sav. keeps coming to mind. What models can I look for with carbine or shotgun butt, not interested in crescent butts? Are there any scope mounts that would be akin to Stith type, ie tang holes and dovetail that would allow me to use a K-4, Redfield, even B & L adjustable mount; with out having to drill the action?

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RGB, if I may intrude on your thread a bit, I'd be interested to know a bit about the different models if you or anyone could provide a synopsis.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the 24 Hour Campfire forums, there is someone that makes a non drill scope mount for Savage 99's.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
with the stith type mounts you must have a straight scope tube with no bell up front such as the 2.5X Lyman Alaskan, 2.5X Leupold Alaskan, 7/8 inch (26mm), or a 1" in 3x. 1x4, 1.5x5, Leupold, or Weaver for examples. No the 4X will not work..I think you would be better off drilling and tapping it unless its a pure collector condition rifle..Stith scope rings and bases are available for about $250 per set, and one model requires some d&T and another does not, so be sure about that..The stith isn't very stable IMO, and I have used a lot of them, they don't always hold zero very well if you use them hard. Some models have no adjustment other than a punch and hammer and and shims for horizontal..Others have some windage, but still require shims. They are no drill and tape as they use the front sight dovetail and the tang screws for the rear. They won't work well with a take down model btw.

I also think a more common caliber such as the 30-30, balistically the same as a .303 would be a smart move..What with the standard now being set for the American gun nut wherein ammo, brass, bullets are becoming more and more difficult to find..Winchester and Remington have dropped most everything and will continue down that road.

An even smarter move is to purchase a later model such as the 99F (1950-60)in a .308.

I shoot the 250-3000 and 25-35 and bullets and brass, not to mention loaded ammo, is scarce to unobtainable.

Not trying to discourage you, but have been there and back more than a few times, so just suggesting what your up against.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote