New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 71 sight mounting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have or can provide mounting spec/hole location to drill for a receiver sight on a Win mod 71. Thank you.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The later ones (post WW2?) could be ordered with a Lyman 56 sight. The best would be to get the sight and match drill. I have never seen a chart showing the hole spacing for the Lyman sights but I wouldn't be surprised if Lyman put one out for the 'smiths back in the day.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be more specific what is the location of the rear hole. All pictures I can see appear it is through the rear boss that supports the locking lug. Is this correst?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is so many of them were drilled and tapped at home, and some are different, Williams are different than Lyman and so forth..placement is open to opinnion if your guns not tapped that is with common since.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe my M71 was factory drilled. The front hole goes through the lug recess. The rear hole is about in line with the rear edge of the lug slot. The sight is a Lyman 66A. The front of the sight base is about .067" in front of the leading edge of the lug slot.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the hole spacing, thats what is important..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hole spacing is irrelevant at this point. Sight will be mounted on a Browning 1886, hence the question on Mod 71 location- closest I could get. Don't know of any factory D&T 1886's. Thank you cgbach, I believe I have what I need.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I can't provide hole spacing but they were included with the Skinner Sight my gunsmith mounted last week on my 71. Nice compact and sleek sight, not so much cluttering up the receiver.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ill take a look at the skinner as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The hole spacing on my very early 71 is .0625 center to center more or less, williams won't fit. I can barely see a partial outline of a receiver sight..Being I believe a first year of production 71 I don't think Williams existed so need to know the early peep sight of the day, perhaps marble or Lyman?? thats pretty wide spacing. Add to that most were home D&T back in the day I suspect..??? The 71s came with a factory instralled LLyman peep sight at some point in time..

I could use the old Lyman 1895 patent mod 21 I suppose, I like that old sight. Tang sights are available but on a 45-70 or 348, that peep is a little close to the eye, especially on a uphill shot Im thinking..

Ill check on the skinner for sure.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Skinner is not what I like, its a barre mounted sight on the Winchester, not a peep..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hole spacing on my very early 71 is .0625 center to center more or less,

Did you mean .625?

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
LYman 66 for Win. 71 hole spacing 13/32 = .406 center to center..

on my gun hole spacing is 5/8s .625 add to that Lyman no longer produces the #66, so Im locked in to a Lyman tang sight or 21 on the grip it appears, the 21 is a neat sight but no windage and tends to shoot loose apparantly..

Anyone have an original mod 71 Deluxe bolt peep, I have a base but none of the other parts..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot one of the bolt peeps once. nice and easy to use. wish I had one to go on my 1886. about the only way I would drill on it to get a fit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the lower part of the orginal bolt peep, but missing the actual peep and small parts, its the best set up for a 71 or 86, but finding the rest of the parts is all but impossible..I found a guy that said he thought one of his employees could fix me up but it would cost about a $1000. I just don't need it that bad..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray I have a 66 for a win 94 I would sell if you are interested. Might require drilling another hole to fit your action though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I reverse engineered the "71" bolt peep sight.
I created a set of drawings that I used to fabricate a couple of complete sights and made a few parts for other folks. It took me over 100 hours to create the drawings. If you wand a set, I have sold copy before. A few of the part designs I gave away.
Bob N
QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have the lower part of the orginal bolt peep, but missing the actual peep and small parts, its the best set up for a 71 or 86, but finding the rest of the parts is all but impossible..I found a guy that said he thought one of his employees could fix me up but it would cost about a $1000. I just don't need it that bad..[/QUOTE]

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it but I don't believe need to go that route with this gun Im just going either with the Lyman 21 or tap the side for a Williams...Im presently cleaning up the chamber thats cruded up and have the gun stripped down and all parts cleaned, and replacing the locking lugs as on second test I came up with a tad of headspace that didn't show up in the primers, so that will be a fix. Gun has not been stripped and cleaned since 1937 and its a mess, but the bore is immaculate..Its been a project and will I ever get it back together???? shocker Smiler

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120