Find
Notify
Tools

.348 Win + Starline Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Anyone with any experience with the Starline brass in the Model 71 .348? I found a decent source for brass for the .348.

Slowly putting everything together for when I have one of these rifles...(which I know will be eventually).

Thanks to Cal Pappas I have dies coming. Found brass for around $1.54/pc. I may order 100pc just to have...and then begin the slow search for .348 bullets

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Starline Brass is well made and comparable to W-W estern in quality.
Bullets can be had from Swift, Hawk and sometimes Hornady or Barnes. Alaska Kodiak and Woodleigh
are no longer running though they may come back.

PM me with your brass source. I currently have more than my share of Winchester Model 71 rifles.
(You probably know where Roswell, NM is located).
RM

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I didn't think Barnes still made their Barnes original .348 bullets...I'll start looking around for them.

What Model 71's do you have? I can't decide between an early rifle or not (Long or Short tang)

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
search for .348 bullets

Cutting Edge Bullets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Starline brass in my M71 with no problems. The Barnes Original 250 gr. bullets were available a couple of years ago but I haven't looked lately. Good luck with the original Winchester M71's. Some seem to shoot well, others not so well. My M71 is in the 'not so well' group. I would like to know if anyone has ever figured what the problem is?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
The early pre-war (long tang) Model 71s were
better made with better barrels-IMHO.
They are scarce but worth the premium you may be required to pay

In the M-71 barrels and forend must agree with each other. They are hunting rifles, not bench target
rifles. Try Hawk bullets, at 2400-2500 FPS, the 200 gr bullets are amazing on deer-elk-moose. Accurate.

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Picked up 60 rounds of factory ammo at the gun show over the weekend. Saw a Browning model 71 Carbine for $1750 shame , that is in the price range of getting an original. I would have been interested in it if it was closer to 900-1000.

Who knows, maybe the 71's have jumped up in price again in the past 6-12mo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starline is the best of the best..I use lots of it mostly in my 45-70 and 348 Win. Bullets? I got several boxes of Swift 350 gr. 45-70s, and Rem Corelokts, plus Hawks for the 45-70..Hard to find..

348 is a different story, I found tw0 boxes of 200 gr. Hornadys, and they have been dropped from production...Cutting edge is probably your best bet but damn they are expensive. Im working on some Hawks..

Browning mod 71s are better steel and nothing at all wrong with them..IN a Win. 71, go for the long tang, its resale is much better..My 348 is a long tang win 71. I still like the old 71, but its mostly nostalgia, plus resale value..

The browwning is an excellent gun, strong action and they generally shoot better than the Winchester, probably a better bet for the hunter, but that said I just love the old long tang Win 71..

Does anyone produce the top action pee sight like on the old action 71 Deluxe rifles..I have the lower piece but not the peep portion itself.
Id love to have that option on my 71

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ET Brass has starline 348 brass or did last week..Always a good source of brass and bullets.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
ET Brass has starline 348 brass or did last week..Always a good source of brass and bullets.

Thank you, good suggestion.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Does anyone produce the top action peep sight like on the old action 71 Deluxe rifles..I have the lower piece but not the peep portion itself.
Id love to have that option on my 71

I'm not familiar with the Model 71, but this place advertises bolt peep sights for it.

The Original Sight Co. (where I first looked) doesn't yet have Winchester sights.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to them, and they ""thought"" they could make one but it would cost probably more than $450. and I personally don't need one that bad..I will probably go with an old Lyman or Marble peep, by drilling one more hole and the sight will cover the other one..Or go with the Lyman 21 and it requires a larger hole up front in the action, but fortunatly those sights add to the guns value for reasons known only to the Red Gods of Huntingdome!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
FYI: as of a few moments ago, Midway has both Starline Brass and Barnes Originals in 250 gr. bullets in stock.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, I jumped on those Barnes 250s and found some Hawks also..Still looking for RL-17powder..It really churns in a 348..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
ET Brass now has WW 348 brass, ya better grab that, it probably won't last long..but stuff is starting to show up now..or so it seems to me..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Skinner peep on the bolt of my Browning 71.

I have been happy with the half-dozen Skinner peeps I have purchased over the years.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Both Starline and W-W is out there.

Bullet availability is another matter.
Hawk and Swift still make theirs. Barnes. Fury Bullets in MI.

Hornady, Woodleigh, and AK Bullet Kodiaks, North Fork- are no longer with us, at least in 2022. The Fury 220 gr bonded bullets might be just the answer in small quantities. Good weight bullets.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
450 Fuller,
Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you said NF is no longer with us.
Was that about one type bullet or all bullets?
Thank you.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
CRS;

My attempts, based on former purchases, was that attempts to buy NF bullets resulted in their firm was no longer in business-in USA. If they have re-formed or are listed in another country or state, as of 8-15-22: I do not know. I did hear that they might be available through a Scandinavian address. Do not know that for sure, or thru any personal recent dealings.
Do not know about their current manuf. bullets:

CURRENT 348 bullet Availability:
Hawk, Swift, Fury bullets, possibly Barnes
and cast bullets. Buffalo Bore and Quality
Bullets in MD. just may sell bullets as components.
Checking with Graf & Midway may turn up current availability. {I still have a supply of ABW Kodiaks, Hawks, and original Hornady 200 grs}.
Still see Not In Stock-back order notices on bullet stock.

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Update:
As of today, ET brass in Ohio has 348 brass at $58 for a bag of 50-W-W.

Bullets-Graf has Barnes back-ordered, but has cutting edge solids-$$$
Miway has nada-all back ordered. Fury, Hawk, Barnes. Can be contacted directly

one of us
posted Hide Post
hawks are available, might be a wait, but I got mine in a month or more..Im up to my neck in good 348 bullets and brass.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120