New
Find
Notify
Tools

fastfire3 on a marlin guide gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody put a red dot on a guide gun i'd like to try it but would like somebody who has to post pictures of the installation

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I've not done it (sacrilege) Wink but all you have to do is buy the L-shaped mount that screws in the receiver sight holes. Or use the included Picatinny rail base that comes with the sight. Supposed to be parallax free out to 75 yards. I tend to shoot farther than that so I prefer peep, open or buckhorn sights.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
turnbull has a mount for that. check out his business sight

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot abide by those sights, give me a tang peep sight, its faster and damn sure more accurate..I tried one of those red dots on my double rifle, didn't last but one day at the range and went back to the shallow V on the rib..I found the modern marvel slow and inaccurate at 100 yards..they got a long ways to go to perfect that abortion.

A receiver sight on my Winchester lever guns or a barrel mounted V...

I really wonder if todays "hunters" havn't gone over board on what the meaning of "hunting" has become, perhaps "shooting" is a better term for many...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I cannot abide by those sights, give me a tang peep sight, its faster and damn sure more accurate..I tried one of those red dots on my double rifle, didn't last but one day at the range and went back to the shallow V on the rib..I found the modern marvel slow and inaccurate at 100 yards..they got a long ways to go to perfect that abortion.

A receiver sight on my Winchester lever guns or a barrel mounted V...

I really wonder if todays "hunters" havn't gone over board on what the meaning of "hunting" has become, perhaps "shooting" is a better term for many...

Ray,
Peep sights are good no doubt,but no way in hell are they quicker than a red dot sight or more accurate,they are both accurate enough,I use dokter red dot sights on all my DR'S,NARY A PROBLEM Big Grin,maybe you should have spent more than a day with yours,& no it's not just shooting when you use a red dot sight,I say this after a few trips to Africa,mostly using red dot sights,I hunted every single time Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
To each his own!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though I have trouble keeping the bead hard enough down into express Vs that have no flats on the sides, I don't like sights that require batteries. First, it would be my luck for the damned thing to fail when I needed it, secondly, not using electrics to hunt game is a fair place to draw a sporting line in the sand.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray.
A peep, especially a receiver or barrel mounted peep, is much faster than a red dot. And no parallax.

My last trip to Africa had a Fast Fire III on a Merkel 141 double. Shooting from any position other than offhand seemed to make parallax a factor. They are only said to be parallax-free out to 75 yards I believe.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Though I have trouble keeping the bead hard enough down into express Vs that have no flats on the sides, I don't like sights that require batteries. First, it would be my luck for the damned thing to fail when I needed it, secondly, not using electrics to hunt game is a fair place to draw a sporting line in the sand.

I guess to be really fair ? Maybe you should draw a line in the sand with your spear & bow & not use a modern firearm Big Grin please don’t take offense beer

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
I agree with Ray.
A peep, especially a receiver or barrel mounted peep, is much faster than a red dot. And no parallax.

My last trip to Africa had a Fast Fire III on a Merkel 141 double. Shooting from any position other than offhand seemed to make parallax a factor. They are only said to be parallax-free out to 75 yards I believe.

Try a Dokter or a Trijjcon you might change your mind Wink

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that's why all the professional competition pistol shooters use peep sights huh, because they are faster!!! Sic Sic Red Dots (or Green) are far far better for bad eyes then a peep will ever be.

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
I guess that's why all the professional competition pistol shooters use peep sights huh, because they are faster!!! Sic Sic Red Dots (or Green) are far far better for bad eyes then a peep will ever be.

Competition shooting is different than hunting. If you don't think so, then you're not very experienced at either.
Never had a battery go out with a peep or a full buckhorn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

Competition shooting is different than hunting. If you don't think so, then you're not very experienced at either.
Never had a battery go out with a peep or a full buckhorn.

Gosh!, I didn't know that competition and hunting were difference. Man learn something everyday.

You don't know much about Red Dots and battery life.

Competition shooting has to do with both accuracy and SPEED! That's why they time them.

I'll tell you another area where a RED/Green Dot excells and that in very dim light. Pretty hard to get a good sight picture with a peep and see that front post in very dim conditions.

Someone mentioned parallax on Red Dots. Almost all reflex Red Dot sight don't have multiple and magnified lenses.

They all have their application and I'm glad we have a huge selection of both of them.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

I guess to be really fair ? Maybe you should draw a line in the sand with your spear & bow & not use a modern firearm Big Grin please don’t take offense beer

I've thought about that a lot, Bill, and as I reasoned in the book: anything beyond a picked-up rock could be construed as enhanced technology against critters that have not changed outwardly since our species evolved. However, deer and other animals have evolved in wariness at least and you wouldn't get far with a rock or spear now. A telescope was used on a flintlock by Isaac Newton but electronic sights are only a few decades old and are not yet de regueur.

So, for those of us who consider our hunting a recreational sport, with notions of fair play beyond professional pest destruction, we are at the crossroads. We can draw that simple line in the sand or say nothing is unsporting - and release the pistol-packing drones.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've thought about that a lot, Bill, and as I reasoned in the book: anything beyond a picked-up rock could be construed as enhanced technology against critters that have not changed outwardly since our species evolved. However, deer and other animals have evolved in wariness at least and you wouldn't get far with a rock or spear now. A telescope was used on a flintlock by Isaac Newton but electronic sights are only a few decades old and are not yet de regueur.

So, for those of us who consider our hunting a recreational sport, with notions of fair play beyond professional pest destruction, we are at the crossroads. We can draw that simple line in the sand or say nothing is unsporting - and release the pistol-packing drones.

How about the new digital rifle scopes that you input your cartridge and data into and when out hunting you see an animal you want to shoot and it has that auto range finder that shows you the distance and a dot lights up on the strata line with the corrected trajectory. Just squeeze the trigger. Gee, what's next, they have a robot that goes with you and he shoots the animal? Where's the sport anymore? Hell we can go further and hunt down the animal with a drone and shoot it!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There's certainly nothing wrong with having a personal limit to what you want to hunt with.

In the US at least technology has began to come into play when the various states allocate hunting seasons. Especially for primitive weapons like archery and muzzleloaders. But even modern firearms seasons have been effected with the advent of .50 BMG rifles and in some places they are outright prohibited for hunting. Bottom line is the more effecient hunters become the shorter the time afield.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one on my Marlin 1894C 357 Mag.I use it for close shots in heavy cover and have killed the two deer I shot with it.They are super fast to pick up and at close range parallax is a non factor.I also use them on a AR and a self defense shotgun.I never tried to use them for bench rest shooting,but the AR shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards.They have a 3 minute dot that just covers the black at 100.Makes for easy shooting.I have had them over three years and have never changed a battery in any of them.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a low power scope of the 1x4 type over any of those mentioned.

That is what I have on all my lever guns 2 marlins, savage 99 and ruger 96 44mag.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only speak for myself,what others do is of little or no concern to me...I do believe in free choice as much as possible...

I am a oldster, born in another century and enjoy the old ways in the bush to a certain extent, have used the bow and spear, prefer the rifle, do like scopes, but still use iron sights, nostalgia of course and that's something I cherish..Most of my big game scopes are 2.5X, 2X and 4x leupolds, but I gave into the 2x7x28 Leupold as its the same size as a 4X..I see no real need for the 1x4X 1.5x5X after shooting those two..I know of nothing faster than a grip mounted flip up Ghost peep with at least a large .125 hole on a Savage 99 or win lever action, or a Receiver sight on a bolt action rifle with the aperture removed..

I just have not been satisfied with most tech, and I have that choice, and it probably will be the game getter of the future in many cases, but Id rather crawl 200 yards in my carpet layers knee guards and welder mitts, then take a iron sight shot at an animal than pick him up at 1500 yards, or break both front legs because a breeze kicked up at the last minute..

But for what its worth as Ive aged and had to deal with some surgerys, that made walking a chore, I have to admit Ive beome more of a spot and stalk hunter, so things are changing fast and will for all of you..I reserve that right.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote