New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leverevolution powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Id like some loads for the 348 Win and 45-70 with jacketed bullets..can't find anything on these calibers, and it just has to be an option...

Its a great powder in my 30-30 and 25-35..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im surprised at the lack of knowledge of this fine powder, it will boost the 30-30 and 25-35 a 100 or so fps at less pressure than any powder Ive used, now if I could come up with a starting or max load thats all the info I need to work up near max workable load. CFE-223 would be another interesting project for the old lever big bores.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
First, I have heard of Leverrevolution powder but have no experience with it or interest in it.
So you want to load a 45-70 and a 348WCF to higher velocity than most powders have done or consider safe?

Care to share more specific details of your objectives? I have no experience with the 348, but there is a wealth of knowledge about loading the 45-70. From what I have read, loading the 45-70 400 grain bullets to above 2000 fps does create significant recoil.

I wish that I could help, but without knowing your specific objectives, I can not offer any helpful information.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm curious what make this powder special to lever action rifles opposed to any of the other rifle powders?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, I'll be using it in my .35 Remington Marlin and in my new 6mm ARC bolt gun. But I don't see any LVR data for either the .348 or .45-70. Could be an issue of case capacity. You can always send an e-mail to the Hodgdon ballisticians.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious what make this powder special to lever action rifles opposed to any of the other rifle powders?

It is called Marketing.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found it excellent in the 35 Rem and 375 win. Acceptable pressures ( no lever stick, and primers OK) with a slight increase in vel over 30-31, Re7 and the like.
Didn't find any gains in 45-70, or tried in the 348. My 348 is a bolt gun, Siamese action, so leverlution probably wouldn't work anyway!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up loads with it for the 30-30 and 25-35, it was designed for lever guns thus the name..I got an extra 100 fps with my guns, and pressure is lower than anything else I used as I went over max a good deal to find its limit, thus Im sold on it, low pressure more velocity..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Thanks for the report.

Your powder sounds a lot like VV N133 that I have used for years in Levers and bolt actions.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought a lb. of it when it 1st came out but as of yet haven't even cracked the seal; the same with a lb. of Trailboss. Always looking for new reloading products. A good a way as any to spend your money.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been going to try out a lb. of N133, but so far have not found any, did find some WW-760, its a good powder for most calibers...I use it in my 348 and 45-70. Found H380 is a great powder in my 25-35s..Amazing what we learn in these days of shortages!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Based on some listings Leverevolution is right around H380, on other lists it is closer to AR-Comp.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:

It is called Marketing.

LEVERevolution

Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; “Can I buy the powder used in Hornady LEVERevolution factory ammunition?”

This is the same spherical propellant used in Hornady’s innovative and award-winning, high-performance factory ammunition. This fabulous propellant meters flawlessly and makes lever action cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester yield velocities in excess of 100 fps over any published handloads, with even greater gains over factory ammunition. Other cartridges include the 35 Remington, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express and the 25-35 Winchester.
The list of cartridges and bullets is limited with this highly specialized powder, but where it works, it really works!

Hodgdon Leverevolution Load Data Overview
The Hodgdon Powder offers the largest selection of quality smokeless propellants for any reloading application.
Now you can load your ammunition with the same powder that Hornady uses in their factory ammunition. Hodgdon LEVERevolution was developed to for rifle shooters that reload for the 30-30 Winchester. With a 150 grain bullet, this powder has the potential to travel over 2,500 feet per second – that’s 122 fps faster than most traditional powders. LEVERevolution powder is a smooth metering spherical powder that flows freely through a powder measure.
Designed for these Cartridges:
25-35 Winchester
30-30 Winchester
308 Marlin Express
338 Federal
35 Remington

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
See? I told you it was Marketing!

I have no use for Lever Revolution powder nor do I have anything against it. I just use other powders for my limited hand loading of large caliber rifles.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two powders that have impressed me over the last year, when I put them to test and found they lived up to thier claims are Leverevalution and CFE-223..Marketing? maybe in some cases, but not all, but such claims generally come from those that have not tried them, go figure!! I know this powders have made great progress over the years..In my early years we had vary little to choose from, 4831, 4350, 4064, 4320, survived but I don't use them anymore, mostly because they don't meter very well...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'd listen to CR, Ray. He is a power user much gamer than I am and if he says something is a bridge too far, you can bet it is.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt about that SAmbarman, and he has been straight up with his response, He just said he has no intention of using it, and suggested marketing and of that I have no doubt with any powder, factory ammo or whatever, everything in the business is marketing!! beer

Yes sir, my max loads in that light Marlin 95, will light up the sky, belch smoke to the heavens and pulverize ones shoulder, neck and rib cage, savage your brain and create a need for medication, I don't know what the secondshot will do! hammering

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sence this thred began Ive added CFE-223 to the 30-06 and 308, another great powder has come fourth...and it does clean barels, takes a few hundred rounds to get there, but once there your good to go..and velocity Pressure are second to none..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have a dB full of published 348 loads if you want it, send me your email in a PM. It lists several powders but not Leverevolution, as it was developed later.
I have used IMR4198 more than any with good results.
Leverevolution is mostly marketing. Hornady are masters at marketing. That's not a bad thing, just a fact. A lot of people trash talk Hornady bullets. They are not premium bullets (except maybe the GMX or CX) but everything I have ever shot with a Hornady bullet is dead....
The velocity increases from Leverevolution and Superformance and real. I just hoard large quantities of other powders so I have not had a need to develop loads with the new powders, yet.
Yet....

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My latest endevor with CFE223 is of all things is the use of it in the 9.3x62, since it loves IMR-4320, H380, IMR4064, RL-15 and RL-17, It figured to be good bait for the 93x62 and it is that, cleans the bore and give great balistics according to my chronographs equal to RL-17 another modern 9.3x62 Powder! GOOD STUFFM NO MARKETING ON MY PART, but I may send them a bill, worth a try!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
vlwtx348,
Ive used a lot of IMR-4198, today I use H380 and RL-19 in my .348. Thanks but I have pages and pages of 348 reloading data..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I think you will find Leverevolution powder too slow for most applications in 45-70 and a bit on the fast side for max velocity in the 348.

I got some high pressure signs and erratic velocities when I approached max in the 348 with it...and the velocities were not as good as 4350 (this even with 200gr bullets...would expect it all the more with 250gr).

I have found Leverevolution to be outstanding in the 30-30.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information..I will hoard it for my 30-30 and 25-35 where it works/

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I have an unopened lb. can + have not needed to load any 30-30 lately, but will save it for that.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The data in the reloading manuals indicate that it's the best available powder for the .30-30 Win.

I have bought some for testing but have not yet gotten around to it.

Not sure about its usefulness in other calibers.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've added the 308, 9.3x62, to my 30-30 and 25-35 list as a good powder..but I have yet to push the perverbial string on those two as yet, but but is seems to slightly surpass the cfe-223 that Im especially fond of in certain calibers and Hey you guys get real, of course its not going to workk in all calibers, no such powder exists..and never will it be allowed..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Not a levergun, but I have starting loads of 33.0 grains LVR under the Hornady 160-grain FTX all set to test in a circa 1923 Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington. I expect good things.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lgs has the 8 # jug for $300 +. I just can't see paying that. talking about leverevolution

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
nice rifle, Id love one in the 300 Savage, The border patrol at some point in the past issued those rifles in 25 caliber, hard to find..I had on in 35 rem some years ago, Heavy but suck up recoil like a sponge..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have had them in .30, .32 and .35, but never could find one in .25 Remington with a good bore and a price I could afford. Pretty sure Frank Hamer carried a .25 on horseback patrolling the border as a Texas Ranger circa 1915.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
They also came in 25-35 win Im told, and saw one for sale on the net?? One wonders if that was just a 25 rem and sellers lack of knowledge??? a rimmed case in a auto is possible however??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Brits used the 303 in their machine guns.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, Remington initially marked their .30 Remington Model 8s as .30-30 Remington so as to leave no doubts about the fact it was a rimless version of the Winchester original. They may have done the same with the .25s, at least early in the game.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a 81 in 300 SAvage at our latest gun show. Had a nice blue job and refinished stock, the bore was horrible so I passed. faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but there seems to be something funny going on regarding theback40's post and my query as to what he'd achieved with the 375 Win.

Please see above for what (hopefully) remains of our conversation. Are you there, theback40?

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote