Find
Notify
Tools

BLR in 9,3X62?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Hey, they was some loose talk a while back about rebarreling a BLR in '06 to the 9.3X62 hammer. Did anyone ever actually do this?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone on this board did a BLR takedown in 375 Ruger. Don't know why a 9.3 x 62 won't work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a blr custom 375 ruger.

It’s not re barreling but a whole new barrel.

375 ruger was built for a short action. It’s used regular 300 win mag magazine and fits to a blr long action.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has a BLR in 400 Whelen. It works very well.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys got any pics or back stories to these custom BLR ? I've always been interested in the possibilities especially with the older Belgian guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered why Browning didn't make the BLR in 9.3x62. Us driven boar guys in Europe love the chambering and in a 4+1 lever with a box mag would be very handy

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a pretty slick custom slide action (pump, for those in Mayberry) Remington in 9.3x62. The BLR would be even more sweet, to me, and no big trick to have done. The 400 Whelen sounds good too.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that Browning is a tad light for a big bore caliber is the reasoning, and the play to the masses, not AR!! wave Id love one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How difficult would it be to convert the BLR to 9.3x57 ?

Seems like I have an abundance of brass & I do like the BLR rifle.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the 9.3x62 would be great but maybe makes a contrast of concepts. The BLR is a modern take on the rifle that won the west; the 9.3x62 is too European in its nomenclature to sell in such a rifle west of the Atlantic.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul, a BLR in 9,3X62 would sell like hotcakes -- to about a dozen of us here on AR!

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill

Something like this BAR 9.3x62?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyenmxXszyI

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BLR is too light for the general public and recoil would be severe. A brake would be criminal on a lever action! Id love to have one however..

The BAR would work, but its such a long heavy rifle I can't see it selling very well..The auto factor does take up on the recoil a good bit BTW...

I shot a REM 760 in the 9.3x62 and it was accurate and neat, recoil was right up there however..not for the light of heart.

In a lever gun, I think the Win. mod. 95 carbine would be pretty neat and a simple rebore would work fine..The rifle is heavier and might be a better conversion.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments Ray.

I have read details of an Alaskan hunter who did convert his 1895 .405 to a 9.3x 62. Maybe it was the long, cold, and dark winter weather that prompted him to do the project.

This was before I told him about loading 400 grain bullets in an 1895 .405.

So, it has been done, but I think my .405 is powerful enough for me.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I booked Judge G, who posted here many times on a buff hunt and he used a Win. 95 converted to a long throated 405, and duplicated a 450-400-3" with a 400 gr. bullet at 2100 plus fps..That's damn sure top notch buffalo medicine..His rifle was heavy enough to handle the recoil well..I think the Browning BLR would be a dandy unit for a 9.3x62 or a 375 Chatfield TAylor...I shot a 9.5x62 for awhile and it duplicated my 375 H&H load of a 300 gr bullet at 2500 FPS. That mild load in my Mauser 375 H&H killed buffalo well indeed.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a rebarrel on a BLR use the steel action. The newer aluminum action the barrel is pressed in and doesn't come out.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My BLR is a 308, and its an early gun with extended clip...I assumed it was a too short an action for a 9.3x62, and one would have to use one of the aluminum 30-06 action BLRs of the modern ventage, am I correct on this? or can a gunsmith open up the .308?? Some confusion on this thread..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I really would like a BLR in 9.3 to go with my BLRs in .308 and .450 Marlin, both take-downs. Now the .450 has been long throated and allows three/tenths of an inch more powder capacity. Also, using the BLR WSM magazines, it feeds fine. Velocity is good as is accuracy, but recoil is right up there. I've got two friends who are bigger than my 6' and 240 lbs who each fired it once but said never again.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
prof242,
sounds like your .458 has evolved into a DG rifle.

Good show!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the answer to a 9.3x62 or 64 would be a rebarrel as opposed to a rebore..A no. 5 or 6 barrel would add enough weight to get it up to about 8.5 lbs and with a scope it would be fine I think. As far as DG I would back off to the bolt gun, extraction with any Lever gun can be tricky, they tend to fail if the load gets just a tad to high..the extractor jumps the rim on a tight case.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
CRShelton,
Almost a DG rifle...almost.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Were talking two rifles here, the old BLR was suited to 243,308,250-300, 284 as I recall, the new models come in 30-06, 300 win, 338 and whatever, and its a long heavy rifle and comes in both straight and pistol grip..The action is longer btw and not steel..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The steel receiver blr was made in 30-06, 270, and 7mm remington magnum. They were big and heavy. I almost bought one chambered in 7mm mag. from a pawn shop in Athens Texas. I have seen a 30-06 also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikethebear,
I may be wrong but to the best of my memory the early model was an all steel BAR, a pretty automatic rifle, pretty heavy and handled recoil well and it came in both 06 length rounds plus 300 Win. 7mm mag, .338 win...but not in the BLR (lever gun)

The first BLRS were the more recent "pistol grip" rather light rifles and they are available in the BLRs in 06, 270, 300 win and 338..

LIke I said, I won't swear to it but thats what Im thinking...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is an American living in the Czech that has one, but I have not seen or heard from him in over 10 years.

If a European gunsmith can do it so can an American.

Bill talk to Tom Hanson in Las Cruces. Las Cruces Gunsmithing.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, I'll file his name away. As I have at hand the Ruger No. 1 in 9,3X74 and the .400 Whelen Springfield that dpcd built for me, I can hardly justify a 9,3 X 62 BLR, but it surely is tempting!
Gad, maybe I oughta put one up for sale and ...
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The blr in 375 ruger

Crazy accurate.

Recoil is stiff.

There is a hang time once the trigger is pulled.

Need to shoot it more.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Mike. Bet the recoil is punchy all right.
I have actually heard that rebarreling a BLR can be a nightmare.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The BAR would work, but its such a long heavy rifle I can't see it selling very well..The auto factor does take up on the recoil a good bit BTW..."

Its plenty of BARs in Sweden in 9,3*62 it must be a standard chambering.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote