THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester levers with an added "P" after their serial numbers...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester levers with an added "P" after their serial numbers...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I vaguely remember seeing a thread that mentioned an added P after the serial number on Winchesters levers. I can't remember exactly what it signified but think it might have designated a factory repair, rework or re-barrel etc. If someone knows I would really appreciate knowing. Thanks, Ed

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, sent back to factory for one reason or another.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also an additional circle W stamp on the barrel at the actions front ring on lever guns. For repair or modification..

Also certain projects for lack of a better word can differ...When Win. made the change from a mod. 54 to the mod. 70, they allowed mod 54 owners to return their guns to factory for a a mod. 70 barreled action, the only mark was the 70 on the new barrel was hit with a square stamp and a 54- was stamped on the square, the bottom metal remained the same as did the stock..the only charge was shipping as I recall..my dad and my uncle took advantage of that offer with their 30-06s, and my uncle asked for and got a 20 inch factory barrel at no charge..They used to treat clientele good in those days..I picked up one of these guns recently and Ive owned several over the years, but today the collectors have about bought them up I guess.

One thing Ive noticed is how few gun nuts know this, but then not many are old enough I suppose.

Additionally and some months later, Remmer spt. Goods in Organ, was a win. repair shop, and they did all manor of repair and change, the added a circle P in front of the original circle P on top of the barrel infront of the front action ring. The did modifications such as mod. 64 barrel, cylinder and wood to a 94 carbine in various calibers of choice, basically a straight griped 26" barrel saddle ring carbine or any early 94...Ihave one in a 30-30 and its a favorite of mine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote