THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Anyone ever see a Savage 1899 in 303 cal that looked like this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever see a Savage 1899 in 303 cal that looked like this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Hello All,

Anyone ever see a Savage 1899 in 303 cal that looked like this? It was made in 1904.

I've seen things like this from Remington on their model 141s, but never seen this on a Savage.

comments?

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold a very nice 141 about 6 months ago in 35 Rem but have not seen a 99 like that.

Ray will be the 99 guy with the information when he sees your post.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the like either + WY is right, if anyone can supply info It will be Ray.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a 99 like that either.

It does look to me that the cartridge was added later. If you look close at the right side it was pretty sloppily done. That's the best I can tell anyway under a hundred years of accumulated grease and dirt! Big Grin

I'm wondering too exactly how do you dent a 99's reciever (lower right under the cartridge) like that by accident?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WY:
I sold a very nice 141 about 6 months ago in 35 Rem but have not seen a 99 like that.

Ray will be the 99 guy with the information when he sees your post.
Hello WY,
Thanks for the reply.
I still have my Remington 141 in 35 caliber.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I've never seen the like either + WY is right, if anyone can supply info It will be Ray.
Hello NormanConquest,
Thanks for the reply.
I hope to have him reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
I've never seen a 99 like that either.
It does look to me that the cartridge was added later. If you look close at the right side it was pretty sloppily done. That's the best I can tell anyway under a hundred years of accumulated grease and dirt! Big Grin
I'm wondering too exactly how do you dent a 99's receiver (lower right under the cartridge) like that by accident?
Hello Cougarz,Thanks for the reply.
That cartridge head in the side of the receiver actually looks very well done. Along the right are more small dents in the receiver. Perhaps my pictures don't do it justice. It must have been done long ago since Savage hasn't made ammo for over 75 years. As for the dents, Savage model 99 receivers have very, very thin walls because the receivers have been machined internally for their spool magazines. I've seen many 99s over the years that were similarly dented along the bottom and sides.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First center fire I ever fired was a 141, in 35, my Grandfather's. I always liked the cartridge inserts, and I have two 141s now.
But never saw a Savage with one.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen or heard and have no record of such in any of my books, and Ive been collecting, buying and selling 99s for more years than I can remember.. Some fine gentleman drilled a hole and tapped a cut off case head in that one and apparently reblued without polishing out the action, hilbily ..Considering the general condition of the rifle, little harm was done..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
First center fire I ever fired was a 141, in 35, my Grandfather's. I always liked the cartridge inserts, and I have two 141s now.
But never saw a Savage with one.
Hello dpcd,
Thanks for your reply.
Never saw a Savasge like this also - but it looks cool, so I bought it.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have never seen or heard and have no record of such in any of my books, and Ive been collecting, buying and selling 99s for more years than I can remember.. Some fine gentleman drilled a hole and tapped a cut off case head in that one and apparently reblued without polishing out the action, hilbily ..Considering the general condition of the rifle, little harm was done..
Hello Atkinson,
Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate your opinion. I think you may be correct about the case head. At least its an original Savage Arms cartridge. I don't think the action was re-blued. With the rifle in hand, both sides, and the barrel, look original finish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a good rifle to hunt deer with.

With that modification the price was most likely reasonable.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well in all reality, unless one is a collector of abstract pieces, then that is why we usually buy them, + it with definitely fit the bill on that count.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an old classic! looks like it was taken apart to clean a hundred times.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who I have loaded for in the past that has an early 99 in 250-3000 that upon not finding any current ammo available was considering rebarreling it to a different caliber. I dissuaded him of that quickly. I will load you ammo + you just keep this treasure original; I don't care who owns it!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Looks to me like a good rifle to hunt deer with.
With that modification the price was most likely reasonable.
Hello p dog shooter,
Thanks for the reply
Yes, the price was very reasonable. It also came with 500 pieces of NEW 303 Savage brass.

quote:
Well in all reality, unless one is a collector of abstract pieces, then that is why we usually buy them, + it with definitely fit the bill on that count.
Hello NormanConquest,
Thanks for the reply.
I love things that are unique.

quote:
Originally posted by jerrymontgomery:
What an old classic! looks like it was taken apart to clean a hundred times.
Hello jerrymontgomery,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, a classic it is. I love the full octagon barrel and the rocky mountain front sight.

quote:
I have a neighbor who I have loaded for in the past that has an early 99 in 250-3000 that upon not finding any current ammo available was considering rebarreling it to a different caliber. I dissuaded him of that quickly. I will load you ammo + you just keep this treasure original; I don't care who owns it!

Hello NormanConquest,
Thanks for the reply.
Very good advice. These old classics are fading away much too often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't, but when it it comes to Savage, "never say never".

You might ask here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com.../1/savage-collectors

Posts: 683 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
I haven't, but when it it comes to Savage, "never say never".

You might ask here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com.../1/savage-collectors
Hello rcraig,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I already posted there also. No one seems to know much about this.