New
Find
Notify
Tools

rossi 92 weight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellas, would anyone with the 24" octagonal rossi in 44 mag be willing to see what it comes to on the scales? Not after a printed weight by the company, they arent accurate

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 20" saddle-ring carbine in .44-40 if that'll help?

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an exact match either, but pretty close: on my Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, half-octagonal barrel, 24", I got 6.8 lbs.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I just sold my 92 Winchester to another member but that wouldn't be an exact match either. My curiosity is piqued; why do you want to know the exact weight?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To see how muzzle heavy it is compared to an octagonal 357 with the same profile barrel. I have handled a 357 and its heavy and I know the weight.. I figured the extra material removed for the .429 bore might make it a bit better balanced. Being remote I have none to handle prior to ordering.

Thanks all for the info btw.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a 24 inch winchester take down in 44-40 with octogon barrel that weighs 6.25 pounds.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured the extra material removed for the .429 bore might make it a bit better balanced.

It's unlikely Rossi uses a different barrel contour. Figure the weight of the tube of steel that the difference in the .429 groove and .357 groove makes: It should be about 4 oz lighter.

To that you might need to add a bit for a larger diameter magazine tube, perhaps an ounce? But if it is larger, you can deduct some for the wood removed from the forend. Call it even.

So, what was the weight of that .357 you measured?

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote