Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the .22WMR become obsolete?
 Login/Join

posted
With the introduction of the .17HMR and its performance, do people think we will being seeing less and less of the.22WMR??

IMHO, I am of the view that the .17HMR will outsell rifles chambered in .22WMR, to the extent that a new rifle chambered in the .22WMR will be hard to find.

Any views? (Mind you, I am not sure how long it takes for a cartridge to become obsolete, so maybe the question should have been: in 20 years how many new .22WMRs will still be sold?)

Kind regards,

Benno

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I doubt it,,You rarely see .22wmr rifles on the consignment rack in my parts of the U.S. And every store stocks the round,,Went to the candy store a while ago,,5 .17 hmr's on the rack,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The WMR is here to stay. A recent addition to my gunrack shoots as well as the HMR as far as I can tell, and had more punch at longer range even if the trajectory gets a bit more pronounced. Not a bad thing for a levergun IMO.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya Dan,,My first winnie l/a was stolen,,replaced with the same.Picked up a 10/22mag.,,,sweet ride,,maby a touch better in the accuracy dept. Clay http://www.love22mag.com

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
To think the .17 HMR will make the .22 WMR obsolete is absolutely ludicrous. I know of many, many shooters who just had to have a .17 HMR early on and have since sold it. Granted, both the .22 WMR and .17 HMR have limited applications, but the .22 Maggie is definitely the more versatile of the two.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Just like all the 300's were gona make the 06 vanish. Big Grin
It will be around IMO

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and both are great rounds. I think the .17 HMR is a better round for targets under 5lbs and the 22 Mag does a better job on the 5 - 15 lb stuff. I have a Rem 597 in .17 HMR that must be radar guided, because I find it hard to miss with it. We need em both!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope not as I have two of them.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The 17 HMR may steel some of its thunder, but the 22 mag is not going any where.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on the Gbeard NEF board this afternoon and guys over there seem to think the 22mag is adequate for yotes in the 50 lb range. I know it will kill them just fine with the proper hit, but it seems a little lite....but then they will certainly kill a 100 lb deer with a good hit.

Any experience with the 22 mag on 50 lb critters??

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
No,,but would'nt be afraid to try,,I'd probably use the winchester solids for larger stuff. The hollow points,,especially the cci offerings are pretty explosive. I've heard that the .22mag is the preferred round of whitetail poachers.Clay http://www.love.22mag.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don"t know about coyote"s, but i bought a .22 magnum last night for the same kind of reasons.
while everyone is telling me to go for a .17, i"ll happily trade the slightly better trajectory for double the bullet weight(40 gr v 17 or 20 gr!)
good shooting!

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten a .17 HMR...yet. I've been a .22 mag fan for 15 or 20 years, and have not yet felt the need to buy a .17. I may, just for another toy.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 17's are pretty good rounds..my favorite is a Rem 597 in 17 HMR. I took a triple on crows in a field one evening... rivals a blow job!!

My 822 Marlin .22 mag doesn't shoot quite as well, but it is a wonderful gun too and I prefer it for the bench after I stoned the trigger to a reasonable level.

I bought a 17mach2 barrel for my 10/22 and it is a blast at 100 yds and under. Kills crows and tree rats really well and I have significantly reduced the mouse population around the barn. It's accurate and fun to shoot. My .22 LRs are lonesome recently, but I won't let them feel ignored.

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Benno: There are LOTS of 22 Magnums over here across the pond from you! And by lots I mean a couple million in both Rifle and pistol formats.
Some folks have not as yet realized the superiority of the 17 HMR over the 22 Magnum both trajectory wise and accuracy wise but ALSO lethality wise on small game, Varmints and Wild Turkey's!
I have not taken my 22 Magnum out on Varmint, small game or Turkey Hunts since I got my first 17 HMR!
So the direct answer to your question is - no, the 22 Magnum won't die out completely, not for a while anyway!
My close friend who owns one of the best Gunshops (and highest volume!) on the west coast of the United States - told me this spring that "the 17 HMR's are outselling the 22 Magnums by at least 10 to 1".
Long live the new King of Rimfires - the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any experience with the 22 mag on 50 lb critters??

Lowrider, they work fine on hogs. Use W-W FMJs and shoot behind the ear or in the throat off the point of their jaw with JHPs. DRT. If I was shootin' yote with one I'd use JHPs and lung shoot 'em if the brain wasn't convenient target.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
R. Anderson and his coyote killing buddies do a fine job with a .22 mag. You may wish to view his kills on video. Unfortunately, the 17 mag hype is superlatively developed, and that , OF COURSE, accounts for a big part of sales and stories. I remember the original .17 centerfire hype, and you know even big green's 17 didn't replace anything.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My "truck rifle" and one of my favorites is a Winchester Model 94 in .22 WMR. When I got it I was surprised to find it very accurate, and out to 75 yards it has taken a good toll on coyotes, jack rabbits, and prairie dogs. I have no experience with the 17's but have concern about penetration with so light a bullet.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The .17's are new and every thinks they need one. Look around in five years and see where they are.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2 calibres to my mind cater to different needs.

The supersonic .17s cater more to the varmit shooter.

The 22WMR hits out a fair way and a great deal harder.

To my mind the application will determine the calibre.

I have a 22WMR which suits my needs. A .17 does not. I'm NOT knocking the .17s , but there are real pluses to a calibre which carries the heavier .22M bullet.

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it will precisely two days after the 30-06. animal bull

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .22 mag is here to stay. As a mater of fact I have a savage .17 hmr, bull barrel, Stainless steel, scope . I would seriously entertain A trade for a .22 mag in great condition. My .17 is new I have only fired it 30 times. I am just not that impressed. I personally would not buy one again. Any body have any trades?-Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just out of curiosity, why did"nt it float your boat? the reason i"m asking is because i"m buying a .22 magnum myself. i wanted a bit more bullet weight for the occasional fox, but it"ll be primarily a paper puncher/bunny buster.
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass thief,

Well I think you asking me why it did not float my boat. Here is a list of why I dont care for the round. I like the gun okay if it were in 22 mag I would be keeping it.

Why I do Not Like The .17HMR

• The price of the dang ammo
  • subject to wind, more than the .22 wmr
  • I jumped on the fad band wagon and I want off
  • I dont like the fact that it shoots a tiny bullet
  • I grew up hearing about relatives popping critters/poaching deer(as a means to eat), and alot of those old stories that bring me a warm fuzzy feeling have the .22 mag as the punch line of the story.
  • I do not poach deer or any animal other than yard lions. I only said that becuase I have no shame in admitting that some of my family in the past has had to "poach" to eat.

Cheers-Ben cheers

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 14 yotes with the 22 mag winchester HP and one with the 22mag remington premium pointy stuff. The winHP is the ticket....all recovered all dead. They may run aways,,,,one went 75 yards or so but I am careful in shooting,,,only take good chest shots. Several have been head shots at 50- yards....My savage 93 Hbarrel will take off a squirrels head at 75-100 yards with the win ammo if I do my part.

The 17 is just to small for the, the smaller faster remington 22mag ammo did not penitrate well, the yote died but it was messy.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 22 WMR is here to stay!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote