New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Woodsman
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would a 1967 Woodsman never fired in box untouched be worth.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Might want to try the Blue Book of Gun Values.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a 1929 model along with the letter from Colt on the LR conversion,in the original box that I paid $800.00 for + never batted an eye.Don't use Cabela's as a guide;they are notoriously overpriced on their used gun.I might be interested in yours if you can decide on a price.Feel free to P.M. me.Remember that the Blue Book is a guide only,the reality is what the market will bear.I know ,as I have several revolvers that are listed at much more than the market would pay.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are buy or selling guns with blue book prices you well be way off.

Posts: 19338 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably a $1000 to $1200 maybe a bit more if you find the right buyer, its definatly a collector unfired..Fired would be much less.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41789 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the sales slip in the box. I was wrong about the date of the pistol. It was sold in 1958 for $69.30 from a gun dealer. It's a Target Sport model.
Thanks

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That won't hurt it all...Your gun is valuble for sure..I would bet dollars to donuts the reason for the near unmatched demand for Colt Woodsman is the models that looked like the 1911 45 ACP...just plain cute, especially in that day and time.....How many times did I hear that comparison made back in the day, and bet it still holds wate

My colt Woodsman is a Match target 4.5 barrel..Its just beautiful and shot great..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41789 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
1958, I'm not sure when the cut off between 2nd and 3rd series occurred. Does it have the mag release button by the trigger (2nd) or is the lever on the heel of the frame? Bbl length? 4" usually bring better prices as do 2nd series guns. Either way, I'd say 1200-1600 for a 2S 4", 1000-1400 for 6" 2S or 3rd series pistol. Post some pix! Box included!

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i inhereted a few of them. A 4" and a 6". Really nice pistols.
Years later I found a unique S&W 41 with a 5" field barrel. I have 3 model 41's.
This 5" field model made me put the Colt Woodsmans on the shelf. Nothing wrong with the Woodsmans!
Have been looking at some of the old High Standards to add to that 22 pistol collection.
All are fun to shoot!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I inherited a set from my father, one of each type and a Huntsman that was NIB. I sold them all as I much prefer my Smith & Wesson 18. I got between $700 and $1500 depending on the model. This was about 10 years ago.

Posts: 5694 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still recall the photo of Hemingway carrying his in a shoulder holster while fly fishing

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I also have a Colt Woodsman Match Target that I inherited. I need to take a close look at it, with all of this discussion. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
eezridr,
Your up to your a$$ in collectables, Id call that collection, royalty..... tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice collection indeed. Last year I sold 2 1947 Hi-standard HD Military 22s. Very ergonomic but the S+W 41 fits my hand better. In the divorce, I lost an original NIB Ruger Bearcat pre alteration, circa the mid 60s. Oh well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which model is the Woodsman with the square barrel in 4 and 6 inch models, sorta resembled the 45 auto..Id like to have one of those..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was called the Match target.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's the Colt Woodsman Match Target Third Model that has an optional 4.5" barrel. Most of those pistols had 6" barrels. I looked high and low for one and finally got a decent one for about $900 on GB. Somebody put an extra coat of varnish on the wooden grips but other than that it is all original. I took it out of the box, put up a target 25 yards away, and it shot exactly where I was looking, without any sight adjustments. I've owned about a half dozen handguns chambered for the .22 LR and this Woodsman is easily my favorite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loiblb:
I found the sales slip in the box. I was wrong about the date of the pistol. It was sold in 1958 for $69.30 from a gun dealer. It's a Target Sport model.
Thanks

Not a Woodsman, but I just sold a very early Ruger Red Label NIB yesterday for what I thought was a very fair price ($1650) The buyer complained that I probably only paid $500 for it when I bought it new. I responded by telling her that my first house cost me $16K and it's on the market right now for $320K. With the inflation we are currently experiencing right now under the Biden administration, who knows what this stuff will be worth 4 years from today~!!!
And when the SHTF, .22 bullets will be better than Bitcoin~!!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I also have a Colt Woodsman Match Target that I inherited. I need to take a close look at it, with all of this discussion. Big Grin

Just sold my pristine 3rd Model Match Target for $1250 and the buyer was thrilled with it~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Years later I found a unique S&W 41 with a 5" field barrel. I have 3 model 41's.
This 5" field model made me put the Colt Woodsmans on the shelf. Nothing wrong with the Woodsmans!
Have been looking at some of the old High Standards to add to that 22 pistol collection.
All are fun to shoot!
My High Standards will outshoot a Match Target all day (at least in my habd). I have an HD-Military, a "mint" Model B Tyoe II, and two Spermatic Citations (one ANIB). I love 'em and just over half the money of a Woodsman Match Target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
quote:
All are fun to shoot!
My High Standards will outshoot a Match Target all day (at least in my habd). I have an HD-Military, a "mint" Model B Tyoe II, and two Supermatic Citations (one ANIB). I love 'em, and they can be had for almost half the cost of a Woodsman Match Target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
All are fun to shoot!
My High Standards will outshoot a Match Target all day (at least in my habd). I have an HD-Military, a "mint" Model B Tyoe II, and two Supermatic Citations (one ANIB). I love 'em, and they can be had for not too much over half the cost of a Woodsman Match Target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Which model is the Woodsman with the square barrel in 4 and 6 inch models, sorta resembled the 45 auto..Id like to have one of those..
Take a look at the High Standard Supermatic Citation Military. The slant of the grip was changed to make it feel more like the 1911 Colt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
All are fun to shoot!
My High Standards will outshoot a Match Target all day (at least in my hand). I have an HD-Military, a "mint" Model B Type II, and two Supermatic Citations (one ANIB). I love 'em and just over half the money of a Woodsman Match Target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Match targets when tweeked like a 1911 won it all, not to mention they are a much better investment than most 22 pistols..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I snatched onto one today, a real nice 4.5" match target woodsman, exactly what I was looking for,I got it in a trade, and into it pretty good but its what I wanted..value will go up on these guns they just keep going up and up..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice snag, Ray. I'm still on the lookout.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best bet on these guns is guns Intl..Lots of them forsale..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thing is, I have saved my Cabela's points over the years + that's what I would like to use them on but I don't know if they still have their "Fine Gun Room" forum. I couldn't find it recently.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had a NIB unfired Match Target, 4 or 6" Id put $2500 on it and just wait..It would eventually sell Im sure..condition is everything to collectors..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120