THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Restoring Family 1906 Fancy wood or plain?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring Family 1906 Fancy wood or plain?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK I have a 1906 Winchester 22 that was my Grandfather's then my Dad's. Toomanytools just installed a barrel liner and reblued it for me. I was just going to put it back in shooting mode and bought a set of Boyd wood for it.

Well you know Boyds the butt stock almost looks plastic and or painted. So the darn thing looks so good I'm going to cut a new Butt stock. I have several blanks laying downstairs. I can go from a basic straight grain. Or I can go fancy with some nice grain. Same labor for me either way.

What say you?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO depends on the quality of the bluing job. If a deep, polished blue a fancy stock is the ticket. A pedestrian bluing job mates better with a basic straight grain stock.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The blue job isn't a WBY super gloss. It is a nice semi satin that fits the rifle and period.

Fancy might be a touch much. I'm not thinking a Exhibition grade piece. Just something with more character than a plain Jane.

I have quarter sawn and some with some character.

As examples

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
after all the rest of the work, why use plain? might be a dumb question for some, but understand i am a fancy walnutaholic

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I think a blank with a little crotch figure sweeping up towards the heel of the stock and straight grain through the wrist would be very fitting... laid out like this stock (but not necessarily as fancy): http://www.shop.macongunstocks...hester-1895-3613.htm

quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
after all the rest of the work, why use plain?

I agree.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Butchloc here. Make it a show pony, not a work horse.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nice looking wood. But I think I'll roll my own.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Nice looking wood. But I think I'll roll my own.

Right, the intent was just to show the wood they used.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right, the intent was just to show the wood they used.

Figured that have been the case after I posted my response. Time to dig deeper into my stash.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I would go with medium fancy, something that looks like much better than normal factory wood.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used 1906 that had been polished and reblued to a deep shiny finish. It was restocked with beautiful figured wood and had a crescent metal butt plate added (like the 1890). I added a flip up tang sight. Not a collector but a beautiful and fun plinker.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
LB, we need a photo. I have a sad 1906 as well that I have been wanting to put new wood, crescent butt and a tang sight on.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two ways to go, a full restoration, or just replace a nice plain Jane piece of American walnut to match the forend wood..both are suitable, just go with your opine..

My problem with a full restortation on a 1906 that I did about a year or so ago for myself, was the best of dark highly grained Russian walnut,butt stock and magazine rod lengthened 2 inches, straight grip and small pancake cheek piece..added a small quarter rib on the factory barrel that extended to the rear of the action, would take Talley Rings 7/8" for a Leupold Alaskan, and a Talley peep sight that fitted in the steel grip cap or quarter rib. barrel band front sight, with a 3/32 ivory bead..HOw I loved that rifle. but sold it for $9000.00. I still have a nice 63 but going to keep this one, its just plain jane..Maybe some day I will build another for myself, who knows..

They make beautiful custom rifles and sell like hotcakes at a Morman cookout breakfast..and Ive never seen a 63 that didn't shoot pinholes..

The hard part of selling that gun is all Im left with is a picture! and got to shoot one running rockchuck in my pasture. CRYBABY

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree Ray, I love the 63 that I bought from you. One of the best little 22s ever built. As to the original question; since your rebluing + barrel relining has pretty much tanked the collector value then go for the gusto of a beautiful piece. Besides, it does''nt sound like you intend to sell it anyway. There are some beautiful pieces of wood out there that would make this a classic.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Im going to build a stock that takes me a month or more of labor, it sure as hell isn't going to be wasted on a piece of cheap wood..especially on a two piece stick of wood..

I wouldn't reline a barrel, Id rebarrel and have a smith engrave the original lettering on a new barrel, make a mark to show it as not original is a good idea.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy,
You got the one I said Id never sell!! rotflmo I guess that's just me! I can't seem to hold on to very many guns, I tend to sell them and go with something new and interesting..dammit, its a curse.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ray, I totally agree. If I had a nickel for everyone I sold + regretted, I'd be a rich man.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
They make beautiful custom rifles and sell like hotcakes at a Morman cookout breakfast..and Ive never seen a 63 that didn't shoot pinholes..

rotflmo Mormon, Ray, NOT "Morman". Big Grin You've lived among them long enough to know better! rotflmo And, by the way, I do love my own 63! tu2 Big Grin