New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAVAGE NRA 19
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just sharing info on another new find: " Savage NRA 19 " ( Match Rifle ? ) Ser# 46XXX

This one didn't have the Adjustable Match Sights, ..But it had " Scope Blocks "

HMMM, I've tried bidding on several Target sights on " E-Bay ". Unfortunately, the bidding exceeded $$$, the price I paid for the Rifle Eeker

So, after a bit of online research, I decided to mount a scope.

Leatherwood Malcolm 6X Scope.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/le...lescope-w-mount.html

FITS the Blocks & looks good.
The blocks were high enough to clear the bolt.

I'm very pleased.. Hopefully, all this Rifle needs is a little cleaning & oil.

And it's an accurate shooter ....?

I now have three " Savage NRA 19 " ( 1919 - 1933 ? )

Early Savage NRA 19 Model.

Ser# 42XXX

Later Savage NRA 19 ( Match / Target Model ? )

Original factory Match / Target Sights.

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rifle " Action & Barrel " were machined as one piece.

Here's a bit more info I found, and posted on another forum:

"......... From older Savage parts schemtics I found that the Model 19 NRA had 3 major variations, at least in the Savage parts listings. The earlier guns (serial numbers below 25,000) were listed as the Savage Model 19 O.S. (Old Style).

To differentiate, the models with serial numbers 25,000 to 45,000 were listed as the Model 19 NRA Match Rifle. I found this from copied pages from the Savage 1951 component parts listing (NUMRICH Parts).

The earlier guns had a smaller trigger pin, and the takedown bolts were longer, attaching directly to the receiver barrel assembly and sandwiching the magazine retaining parts between the stock and barrel/receiver. These also had a double point striker in the bolt. The later models had barrel studs attaching the mag retaining parts, with the takedown screws attaching to the studs. These had a single point striker with twin extractors. Up til 1933 these rifles were characterized by a full length military style stock and looked much the same externally (slight variations to the ejection port). In 1933 a better proportioned half stock was adopted, along with other upgrades, including the speed lock feature. Looking at the post 33 guns on auction sites, I've noticed they were still stamped as Model 19 NRA.

Google for a copy of the American Rifleman article, Savage Model 1919 NRA Rifle. I found a readable copy at Snipers hide."
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/.../savage_model_19_NRA

Another tidbit of info:

"..... While Crossman and his minions were toiling away in New Jersey the prospect of a renaissance in smallbore prone shooting through the introduction of smallbore National Matches sparked a flurry of correspondence to and from the Winchester Repeating Arms Company in New Haven, Connecticut. The War Department had cancelled contracts for the 22-caliber old Winchester Model 1885 Musket and was not entertaining further purchases of this type of firearm. Future purchases, if any, would probably center about a bolt-action rifle to better simulate the service rifles of the time, the Springfield 1903 and the Enfield 1917. Sensing the sea change Henry Brewer, a Winchester vice president, directed product engineer Thomas Crosley Johnson and Frank F. Burton to move independently forward on the development of Experimental Design Number 111.

By the end of April an experimental rifle had been shown to Lieutenant Colonel Townsend Whelen, US Army General Staff, Director of Civilian Marksmanship Major Richard D. La Garde, General Fred Phillips, NRA President, and Arms and the Man Editor Kendrick Schofield, receiving rave reviews. Under the direction of Edwin Pugsley, Winchester then rushed ahead and prepared six rifles for use at Caldwell. Five rifles were built in 22 caliber long rifle and one in 22 caliber short and designated G22R.

Winchester’s chief representative at Caldwell, Albert F. Laudensack, wielded the new rifle with such success that he was named to the Dewar Team while “Cap” Richards won the won the 50 yard sweeps with a re-entry match with a perfect score. A.M. Morgan and Donald Price teamed up and used the new rifles to take both the Field and Stream and Smallbore Marine Corps Cup Matches. During the matches the Winchester rifle far surpassed the new Savage bolt action Model 19 NRA Match Rifle. On September 11, 1919 the G22R was officially designated the Model 52 and the rest, as they say, is history....."

http://riflemansjournal.blogsp...llbore-national.html

fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1919, Blanche Crossman (E.C. "Ned" Crossman's wife) became the first woman to win a place on the same DeWar team mentioned above. I believe she used a Savage 1919.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote