New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 581 rebuild
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up a pretty nice used Rem 581. I would like to get it to shoot as good or better than my CZ 452 American. I am going to start with a new barrel and trigger, then bed the action, and free float the barrel. What do you guys that a know what you're doin to fix up a 22 suggest for a barrel. My gunsmith has one that he put a Kidd barrel on. I think mainly because he didn't have to contour it. I am open to any and all suggestions such as Lijla, Barltlien, shillen, Pac Nor, etc. What say ye??
I also know that the trigger from a Rem. 660 will work so Timney makes one. Who Else??

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You might consider giving a P.M. to dpcd on this site for some good information on your topic. I'm sure he could help you with your questions.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought in 1972. It accounted for many squirrels. Super accurate. Can easily hold 1.5 inch 100 yd groups with premium ammo. Timney is the only maker I am aware of for the trigger. Midway puts them on sale occasionally. The stock trigger can be converted to fully adjustable by drilling and tapping 3 holes for adjustment screws. I have the drawings for that if you will PM me your e-mail.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I need a complete bolt assembly for a 580 series rifle - but cant bring myself to pay more for a bolt than the complete rifle is worth.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I replaced trigger spring from a ball point pen bedded it and the way it shots now . I won't be doing anything to it.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep they are pretty accurate as-is. How did you bed it? Just at the action screw? I've thought of drilling and tapping a hole in the tang to add a Rem 700 ADL center TG screw. It sounds like you are happy with overtravel and engagement. Pull weight was the only issue. Nice fix.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
I replaced trigger spring from a ball point pen bedded it and the way it shots now . I won't be doing anything to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy another complete rifle and swap bolts to have two rifles. The more the merrier. Can't shoot but one at a time. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I need a complete bolt assembly for a 580 series rifle - but cant bring myself to pay more for a bolt than the complete rifle is worth.....

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thats the current policy - I have a 581 and a 582 so swapping the bolt is an option.

Would still like a complete bolt at a realistic price though ... something to look out for as the year rolls on

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great project. I've always thought that the Remington 540/580 action was a winner, with the six mid-bolt locking lugs. Any of the aftermarket barrels mentioned should be fine. They've all been used on match-winning rifles. I'd go that route rather than using a take-off barrel from another rifle. As for the trigger, you might look for a used 540X trigger to modify. I ran across the following thread in the Rimfire Central Forum:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com...wthread.php?t=406081

If you put your questions on to that forum (the Remington sub-forum), I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to upgrade the stock, I have a very nice figured walnut stock that is inletted for a 581. I have had it for years & do not plan to use it so might be talked into letting it go.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster if I remember correctly bedded the receiver and about an inch of the barrel just like my centerfires just enough to make it snug in the stock filled all the cavities with plumbers puddy (all I had at the time)
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Yep they are pretty accurate as-is. How did you bed it? Just at the action screw? I've thought of drilling and tapping a hole in the tang to add a Rem 700 ADL center TG screw. It sounds like you are happy with overtravel and engagement. Pull weight was the only issue. Nice fix.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would still like a complete bolt at a realistic price though

So would a lot of others that is way the price is high.

Along with most 500 series Remington rim fire rifles

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote