THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Have you seen this-cutaway pics of priming compound

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you seen this-cutaway pics of priming compound
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes QC [ quality assurance for you PC types ] rears it's ugly head again.
At one time I had access to an optical comparitor and various microscopes ,it was an interesting time !
Time to go back to double firing pins .One of my old rifles has a rectangular x-section at the tip which goes from outside of the rim and well toward the center of the case head.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Here's a few more of those photos, I thought they were very interesting and saved some.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of them look like the priming compound isn't just in the rim, but partway up the inside of the case. I wonder what effect that might have on ignition.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Some interesting cutaway photos.

I did read somewhere that 22RF was reloaded in some parts of Russia when ammo was in short supply by inserting some matchhead paste into the rim of a fired case and letting it dry before adding a bit of black powder and a 22cal lead BB. Obviously they would have had to insert each cartridge into the magazine or chamber so it presented an undented part of the rim for the firing pin to hit.
I guess it would have worked well enough for close range shots.

As to the ignition of 22RF cartridges I have noticed that a miss-fired cartridge, if reinserted into the chamber presenting a new part of the rim to the firing pin and then fired, will in all cases shoot to a different POI often like 2-3" away from the usual POI. I don't know what the answer to this phenomenon is, other than maybe having something to do with a change in case capacity.

Re double firing pins helping ignition, I suspect the reason why many, including myself, find the Gevarm 22 rimfire rifles so reliable and accurate despite firing from an open breach position, is that they have a raised ridge of metal across the breach face which well and truly squashes the rim in two places when slamming into battery.

Here is a 22RF case that has been fired in a Gevarm semi-auto carbine

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot old single shot target rifles by preference, either offhand or from the bench, normally at the 25-ring Schuetzen target. My fellow shooters and I test just about every type of ammunition we can get. Misfires happen. When that happens, normal practice is to rotate the case and shoot again. If we get ignition, we usually find the bullet impact to be in the same group (if the ammunition was reasonably accurate in the first place), but not in the same bullet hole. With match chambers, much of that depends on how the bullet is engraved when the round is rechambered.

With 3 types of the old rifles, misfires are not unknown. With the Farrow, it was the design of the firing pin. A new firing pin, redesigned by the gunsmith, solved the problem.

With older Stevens Ideal (Model 44) single trigger actions, mainspring strength and trigger pull are trade-offs. The best trigger pulls come from the weakest mainsprings.

With the Winchester Model 1885 Single Shot, the firing pin strikes the rim at a point where the rim is supported by the spring-loaded automatic ejector. That cushions the firing pin blow. Of the 3 designs, the Winchester is by far the worst offender.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kewl beans, Waterman. I had forgotten about you schuetzen guys down in dear old Humboldt.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on time & weather, there may be a dozen of us. We're mostly old & time has thinned our ranks. Every Tuesday afternoon is a rimfire match. Schuetzen-by-the-sea. We shoot a lot of rimfires, with some very challenging matches.

All this drifted away from those cutaways, which are good work. Why do some of the cases appear to be tipped at an angle? Camera lens? My monitor?

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote