New
Find
Notify
Tools

An old rimfire
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Years ago I picked up a Rem mod.592 in 5mm Rem. calilber, it was a junker and pretty much came that way from the factory as to design etc, but I paid $15.00 plus tax for it, for the kids mostly.

To my amazement its about the most accurate rifle I have owned in my lifetime up to 75-100 yards anyway..it will shoot all day long into a 1/2" or better as a matter of fact, on a good day its a one holer for 3 or 5 shots..

Went a long time with only a small amount of Rem ammo. A box of 5mm was fetching up to $50 to a $100 bucks..Today, after many years factory ammo is available again at a reasonable price and I shoot it a lot around the house on rockchucks and such..a coyote now and then and yesterday a badger...I'll never sell it because of its accuracy, and the fact is nobody would buy it, such a clunker..

I grown fond of the 5mm round btw, its a sure killer on a cull..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ray, you wouldn't sell it for love nor money; it's a keeper. A buddy of mine inherited a high wall Win. oct. bbl. many years ago that his great uncle left in the barn + used rat shot + of course never cleaned it. He sold it for a song as the bbl. was ruined. Hindsight is 20/20. Today a new bbl. the liner would have made it new. Mox-Nix, he's been dead for years + the rifle gone even longer. Not even my rifle but I hated to see it go.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed springbok with it using shoulder shots on many just to see how it performed, the culled some whitetail does the same way..I was amazed at how the 5mm and the 22 Magnums performed if you didn't try to stretch the range on them, most were shot as 25 to 50 yards, but a few at 75 to a 100 yards...Penetration was mostly to the off side skin with very few exit wounds...Brain and neck shots were as you would expect instant kills, no surprise there even with a 22 L.R. Surprisingly in RSA the shoulder shot animals didn't get docked at the butcher, the dock you big time if shoulder shot with 222 and up..

BTW one thing I learned in Africa in resturents, even the best, don't eat hamburger and don't order beef..Eat Kudu etc..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote