THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    CZ 455 Lilja 22lr barrels-Anyone tried them?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 455 Lilja 22lr barrels-Anyone tried them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted
I ordered one yesterday.I have two CZ's that have stopped shooting.One(CZ452) has a Lothar Walther barrel.That, I am sending to the smith to set the throat back.The second, another 452,I will be rebarreling with either a Krieger Palma or another LW.I ordered two Boyd's Rimfire hunter stocks to replace the factory stocks on the CZ 455 and a 452.I was not that crazy about the accuracy I got with the LW barrel.It was not as accurate as the original CZ barrel.My smith has a LW blank that is lying around for a few years and he wants to sell me it but I am not sure I want it over a Krieger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ready Aim Shoot:
I ordered one yesterday.I have two CZ's that have stopped shooting.One(CZ452) has a Lothar Walther barrel.That, I am sending to the smith to set the throat back.The second, another 452,I will be rebarreling with either a Krieger Palma or another LW.I ordered two Boyd's Rimfire hunter stocks to replace the factory stocks on the CZ 455 and a 452.I was not that crazy about the accuracy I got with the LW barrel.It was not as accurate as the original CZ barrel.My smith has a LW blank that is lying around for a few years and he wants to sell me it but I am not sure I want it over a Krieger.

Shootaway given you are going to shoot with iron sights and off hand - just stick with the cz barrels.

Any accuracy is offset by iron sights and offhand shooting anyway.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Benchmark 3 grove 16.5 “ twist in a .920 straight blank contour for my 452 instead of the Krieger.I chose Benchmark because they have a reputation among serious rimfire shooters for being among the three top competition winning barrels.It is also one of the three top or most accurate barrels Eley ammunition recommends on their website.I don't know how good it will stand up to the heat when I fire repeatedly- I guess I will just have to find out.I am going to have it cut at 23 inches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had their 22 rimfire barrel stop shooting and then set the throat back to solve the issue?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of Boyd stocks I bought to replace the originals.These will fit the larger countered barrels.

[URL= ]Boyd stocks[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilja 455 bore-looking good.I will instal it soon then test. [URL= ]lilja drop in barrel bore[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]
[URL= ]3[/URL]

I am thinking about installing a red dot sight or something similar.Someone told me to try a Holosun.I don't know much about theses kind of sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering how many 10s of thousands of rounds it would take to shoot the throat out of a 22 long rifle barrel????

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have installed a number of Lilja 22 RF barrels on rifles, but they were originally blank, and I did the fitting here.

Very good quality, as all Lilja barrels we have tried.

Regardless of caliber.

They are my personal favorites, I use them on rifles I build for myself.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66666 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to add about 22lr barrels but I've use a metric ton of Lilja barrels and just received another one today for a 280 AI. Every single one seems to be a winner!
I've only used 2 benchmark and they were excellent too.
Actually Douglas has never let me down and I've used about 6 recently now in 20, 22, 26.
The two issue-prone problem-child barrels were from super-popular barrel makers (and shall remain un-named). I'm more about performance (accuracy) than a name on the barrel.

Me thinks you barked up the right tree!!!!

Sorry, TMI again and no one cares. LOL
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I'm wondering how many 10s of thousands of rounds it would take to shoot the throat out of a 22 long rifle barrel????

If you shoot let's say 400rds in 25 minutes, many times, it will go in a a year or two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to try my Lilja and Benchmark barrels.I got to wait until the ranges open up.Next time I mighty a Douglas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the Benchmark offhand today at 50yds.I could not tell of an improvement in accuracy.It's been a while since I shot offhand because it was a crazy year, one that took me off my center.I noticed I did not have a strong hold on aim as before.I did shoot my Lott with reduced loads and I was surprised I shot very well-that light trigger is a great help.Good to be back at the range.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Checking the accuracy of rifle shooting off hand is pointless.

Posts: 66666 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It gives me a general idea besides it's too dark at that indoor range to do it properly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

If you shoot let's say 400rds in 25 minutes, many times, it will go in a a year or two.

Hmmmm.....that's one round every 3.75 seconds if my math is right....hmmmm....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Throats are damaged by heat.

The larger the case, and smaller the caliber, the worse it is.

I don't think anyone can wear a 22 rifle barrel using lead bullets.

We checked barrels of many rifles as they are being shot from new.

The worst was an A-Square 300 Pegasus.

Signs of barrel erosion could clearly be seen after 100 rounds.

This could be due to several factors.

Of course a very large case, burning large amount of powder, and a relatively small bore will do it.

The quality of the barrels comes into it too.

Like everything I have seen from A-Square, I was not impressed by their rifles at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't have much experience with 22's but three that I had stopped shooting after a few thousand rounds. The Lilja web site states that 22's have a barrel life of about the number of rounds I shot through them.This is from the site

"The best life can be expected from the 22 long rifle barrels with 5000-10,000 accurate rounds to be expected. We have in our shop one our drop-in Anschutz barrels that has 200,000 rounds through it and the shooter, a competitive small-bore shooter reported that it had just quit shooting."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't have much experience with 22's but three that I had stopped shooting after a few thousand rounds. The Lilja web site states that 22's have a barrel life of about the number of rounds I shot through them.This is from the site

"The best life can be expected from the 22 long rifle barrels with 5000-10,000 accurate rounds to be expected. We have in our shop one our drop-in Anschutz barrels that has 200,000 rounds through it and the shooter, a competitive small-bore shooter reported that it had just quit shooting."

As far as a barrel manufacture giving a round life on a barrel one would expect them to give it on the low side.

Accuracy is relative to what one is using the barrel for.

As for the barrel that just quit shooting.

Should most likely read quit shooting as well as the shooter wanted it to.

If one is trying to win 3 position small bore matches then the most accuracy is required.

I have two 10-22s that each have many 10's of thousands of rounds thru them.

I was testing some 60 year old win. standard velocity in them.

They both produced half inch one ragged hole groups for 10 rounds at 25 yard off a so so rest.

Not 3 position or bench rest match accuracy but both well continue to put rabbits and other small game on the table for many years.

By the way I have shot about 150 rounds of the 60 year old ammo and haven't had a miss fire yet.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this group at 60yds yesterday with a shaky hold.I had not shot offhand for nearly a year.I also shot a group from rest but I don't have the target.The rifle is accurate.Lighting at this indoor range is poor.

[URL= ]60 yds offhand[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting a red dot site for the Lilga barrelled rifle.That way I don't have to get the barrelled milled for sights each time the barrel is replaced.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot this group at 60yds yesterday with a shaky hold.I had not shot offhand for nearly a year.I also shot a group from rest but I don't have the target.The rifle is accurate.Lighting at this indoor range is poor.

[URL= ]60 yds offhand[/URL]

Calling a rifle that shot this target, and the shooter who did it, accurate is like calling walking to the outhouse in the garden a walk to the bloody moon!

Bloody hell George!

What next? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George?? Slowly but surely my groups will get smaller.I am off to the range again tomorrow.I will try and shooter a better target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this target yesterday.
I have a long way to go before my hold gets steady again.That said I believe this Benchmark barrel is very good.My arms got really tired while shooting this.I need the practice for the 2022 World Championship Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby.

[URL= ]60yds ,offhand[/URL]