Find
Notify
Tools

22WMR in Bench Rest?....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
In the USBR rules it clearly states that the .17s and .22 be in different classes but, it says nothing about 22WMR.

Are they allowed?

I've seen some 22WMR in just sporter set-ups that would shoot one hole groups at 50 yards and I can imagine a fella could do quite well in a Match w/ some of those Especially in the Plinker Class.

What do you fellas think?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they are allowed, but you are right some of the cheap guns shoot really well in 22WMR. I have a Marlin bolt with a lousy trigger that still shoots dime size at 50 yds.

I gotta comment about your "close encounter" tag line..you're right about that too...I had a near miss with a nice buck in late October last year on my Harley at 60 MPH...it certainly got the juices flowing!!...better than anything I shot this year!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Lowrider,

I just got a message from the USBR President and he told me that I could compete in their competitions w/ a 22WMR.

I'm not fixin' to go traveling around to the different competitions or anything but, I thought it would be an interesting hobby to compete in the plinker class in some of the postal matches.

I saw a guy out at the range praticing for an upcoming match at our local club and it seemed quite interesting.

Like you said, My Marlin 25 is quite accurate at 50. It will put three in the same hole. The 3 shot groups at 50 are usually in the .1s and at 100 it will go from 1.25down to .6 depending on the wind. Man, the wind is heck on those little bullets.

I'm going to print off a few of the 50 yard 25 bull bench rest targets and try it out this weekend. I'm not counting on busting all tens but, I believe I can get quite a bit of tens at 50 w/ this little rifle.

You are right abou the trigger, I got pretty lucky w/ mine as it's around 4 lbs or so but, a good friend of mine bought one that was over 7 pounds! I honed it down to a safe 4lb pull and he's been well pleased w/ the outcome. My friend bought the Stainless and I bought the cheaper blued version. Luckily my cheaper blued 25 will out shoot his, guess it was just luck of the draw.

I have thought of floating, bedding and installing a trigger but, w/ it shooting quite well in it's factory form, I think I'll leave it alone.

I tried the jacketed bullets in it and they were all over the place. The CCI Maxi Mags seem to do the best as well as the New Remingtons which, I'm pretty sure has the same plated HPs as the CCIs have.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Reloader,,Are you talking about the remington's stuffed with the 33grn a-max? Those have performed rather well for me,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
claybuster,

No, I went to Basspro here a while back and Remington has a new 22WMR load out. I examined the box and the bullets looked just like the CCI JHPs that I normally buy. I bought a box of each, the Rems were about 1 dollar cheaper than the CCI. Once home I found that they indeed had the very same 40 GR plated HPs that CCI is using in their MAXI mags.

Took them to the range and was consistently plinking shotgun wads and MLer sabots at 50-75 yards w/ them. I haven't shot them for groups yet but, I feel they will probably do well.

I'll find out this weekend.

Good Luck

Reloader