New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Noise 22’s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I live in a rural area, but have houses fairly close (75-150 yards away) and don’t want to alarm my neighbors while plinking at squirrels raiding my bird feeders.

In my search for quiet ammo, I initially tried Agulia Calibri (Hummingbird) ammo and found it to be very anemic and while quiet, it wasn’t accurate enough. A friend gave me two boxes of Winchester 22 CB Long Match and it was amazingly, for me, much more accurate, and deadly. It’s actually quieter than my break barrel pellet rifle.

While it did a great job, I have not been able to find any more to replenish my dwindling supply. Tried to find some CCI Quiet and couldn’t locate any of those either. A friend alerted me to some CCI 22 CB Longs at J&G Sales and I quickly ordered a brick from them.

Hope to try them in my Norinco JW-15 next week when they show up.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
CCI QUOIET are totally useless.

An air rifle is infinitely better than them and a lot more accurate.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Aguila Rifle match with a Sparrow suppressor and it's virtually silent and deadly accurate in my Ruger American 22LR.
Speed is 1030 and stays sub-sonic and QUIET even at 10,000' elevation. Worked like a champ this weekend on pesky ground squirrels.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed is right. Air rifles are best, for several reasons.

Low velocity .22s are not without problems. I saw one with the nose of the bullet just sticking out of the muzzle. I know of at least 2 others that left bullets stuck in the barrel.

If you shoot the blasted things, always look for an impact or bullet hole at EVERY shot. The cost of a new barrel far outweighs any benefit from shooting the stuff.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t tried the CCI Quiet cartridges yet, but I have used the Agulia Calibri and Super Calibri and while they are very quiet, they lack the power of the 22 CB Long and as stated above, have the tendency to lodge in long Barrel 22’s. As far as the air rifle option, I have not found them to be as quiet as the CB Long rounds. My break open springer air guns are very loud compared to the 22 CB Longs.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the air rifles have what looks like an expansion chamber at the end of the barrel, are they substantially quieter than a CB Long from a 25" Remington 511 barrel? Calibris lodging in a brrel would be a deal-breaker for me. The Savage 24C is shorter, might be safer and easier to check in any case.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Some of the air rifles have what looks like an expansion chamber at the end of the barrel, are they substantially quieter than a CB Long from a 25" Remington 511 barrel? Calibris lodging in a brrel would be a deal-breaker for me. The Savage 24C is shorter, might be safer and easier to check in any case.

One of the barrels I saw with a bullet nose sticking out of the muzzle was a 513.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had any CB Longs lodge in my Barrel, but my Winchester 67 is prone to have a few Calibri hang up, probably due to its longer barrel. My JW-15 with it’s shorter Barrel doesn’t have any issues with them... none the less, I am very careful when shooting them.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use RWS subsonic hollowpoints for shooting rabbits.

They are almost totally silent - admittedly with a moderator (silencer) - the only sound is the "thwack" of the bullet hitting the rabbits head! They are also very accurate - 10 shots in a small raggy hole at 40-50 yards. The only thing more accurate is Eley Tenex - and they are around four times the cost. Like all 22lr they do have a bit of a rainbow trajectory.

Suppose it depends on the rifle though.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
CCI CB Long hasn't been as accurate for me as the Winchester CB Long Target but has been acceptable. I've killed thousands of coon and squirrels with them out of various rifles and have never had a bullet hang in the barrel.

I've killed several hundred coon and squirrels, a few fox, a couple dozen coyotes and a few deer with CCI Quiet ammo. Accuracy is acceptable and it has superior penetration to the CB Long ammo. My friend built me a swaging tool which increased the accuracy but really isn't worth the effort it takes to swage a brick for the gain it delivers.

Air rifles are great when over penetration is a concern. I've killed countless thousands of pigeons with my two RWS rifles, plus too many rabbits and squirrels to count.

I get paid for all that fun.
I love my job.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the Winchester CB Long Match are more accurate and to me, are a little quieter. They are harder to find in stock. I’ll keep looking.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live in a rural area, but have houses fairly close (75-150 yards away) and don’t want to alarm my neighbors while plinking at squirrels raiding my bird feeders

House 75 to 150 yards apart doesn't seem rural to me but each is own.

But CB longs are quite the longer the barrel the better.

Or put a bloop tube of 18 inches or so and that well quite them down even more.

Rat traps and peanut butter are very effective and quite.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "rural", but Georgia's gun laws must be very forgiving. Discharging any firearm, noisy or not, within 150 yards of another dwelling is a criminal offense in many jurisdictions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
I don't know about "rural", but Georgia's gun laws must be very forgiving. Discharging any firearm, noisy or not, within 150 yards of another dwelling is a criminal offense in many jurisdictions.

And legal in many others

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas, I can shoot + hunt on my 15 acres. I did have to rearrange my range in the Valley though after some idiot built his house behind my backstop. I moved it out of courtesy. Kinda chapped me though as I had been shooting there for years.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my neighbors and am always safe and try to be discreet.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I normally use Winchester Subsonics but these were out of stock when recently in to buy some more for a specific task of shooting some gamebirds that have been deemed a problem bird to a farmer (special permit issued) and wanting to trial a suppressed 22 at night on the roosting birds.
I bought some CCI Suppressor 45gr HP 970fps ammo.

These were very accurate in my Gevarm carbine considering this rifle fires from an open breach. With the action setup for sub-sonics it functions perfectly and the little NZ made 2" plastic suppressor made these rounds very quiet, basically only hearing the breech block slam when firing.

Photo of the rifle setup with a 500 lumen torch and photo of the final 5 shot group fired after shooting in for the CCI ammo. This was just shooting over the hood of my truck with a jacket rest.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting a bunch of Eley subsonic hollow points through a suppressed Mark IV Ruger Tactical and Browning Buck Mark. Great accuracy and plenty quiet at 1040 fps.

Two weeks ago Midway had a batch, but quickly sold out.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I shoot CCI quiets in my 75 Winchester, My 510 and 511 Remingtons and once in a while in a full bull barreled Winchester 52 Schuetzen, The round nose bullets are not real good for killing small varmints promptly. The segmented hollow points are pretty good, much better than the pellet gun. All of these rifles will shoot well under an inch at 50 yards. All are long barrels. I have never stuck a CCI quiet in any of them, but I have only shot a couple thousand. The CCI quiets do tend to be dirty and my tight chambered rifles, notably the 75 and 52 do tend to stick cases in the chamber, both fired and unfired with the unfired being much more likely to stick. The Remingtons are noticeably less prone to sticking cases in the cambers.

Both the round nose bullets and the segmented hollow points tend to make a very distinctive "WHOP" on body hits. The segmented hollow points have a much better probability of making a blood trail on squirrels.

In these long barreled rifles they tend to be very quiet The difference between the 75 and the 510/511 is easily noticeable. The difference between the 75 and the 52 is equally easily noticeable. For the shooter, the two Winchesters are so quiet that the loudest thing is the firing pin striking. The 510/511 sound about like a kids cap gun when dispatching a coon in a Havaheart mainly because a lot of the sound comes back at me. When shooting without reflective surfaces they are quieter.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterman:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

One of the barrels I saw with a bullet nose sticking out of the muzzle was a 513.

Oof. I shoot Remington five-teens, mostly..

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I live in a rural area, but have houses fairly close (75-150 yards away) and don’t want to alarm my neighbors while plinking at squirrels raiding my bird feeders.

In my search for quiet ammo, I initially tried Agulia Calibri (Hummingbird) ammo and found it to be very anemic and while quiet, it wasn’t accurate enough. A friend gave me two boxes of Winchester 22 CB Long Match and it was amazingly, for me, much more accurate, and deadly. It’s actually quieter than my break barrel pellet rifle.

While it did a great job, I have not been able to find any more to replenish my dwindling supply. Tried to find some CCI Quiet and couldn’t locate any of those either. A friend alerted me to some CCI 22 CB Longs at J&G Sales and I quickly ordered a brick from them.

Hope to try them in my Norinco JW-15 next week when they show up.
Using a 24-inch barrel (probably longer works also??) from a manually operated action, 22 CB caps have sound but slightly louder than someone clapping at arm's length. Basically, the primer pop is the real problem.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the CCI Quiet load, which if I recall is going around 910 fps, CCI also makes a subsonic HP @ 1050 FPS. I have had excellent results with that offering on Squirrels from a CZ455.

Honestly, any subsonic ammo will be quiet for semi-rural shooting, the challenge these days will be finding any still on the shelves.

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanM:
In addition to the CCI Quiet load, which if I recall is going around 910 fps, CCI also makes a subsonic HP @ 1050 FPS. I have had excellent results with that offering on Squirrels from a CZ455.

Honestly, any subsonic ammo will be quiet for semi-rural shooting, the challenge these days will be finding any still on the shelves.

The CCI Quiet I have tried are around 700 fps.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just glad I live in Idaho, and you can shoot any gun in the county, but not in the city limits..Some folks complain but I just advise them to move to town and take thier damn nest robbing cats with them. We have all but run out of pheasant..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I just glad I live in Idaho, and you can shoot any gun in the county, but not in the city limits..Some folks complain but I just advise them to move to town and take thier damn nest robbing cats with them. We have all but run out of pheasant..

I totally agree. If you don't like the ways of the country. Move back to the city.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 27-inch 513T barrel goes a long way to quieting a 22 RF.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used most of those quit shorts, as well as std. shorts on coyotes and bobcats in a trap, they all worked with head shots,none worked well at all with heart shots, that took a LR HP..range is usually 5 to 25 ft..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I used most of those quit shorts, as well as std. shorts on coyotes and bobcats in a trap, they all worked with head shots,none worked well at all with heart shots, that took a LR HP..range is usually 5 to 25 ft..

On yotes and fox in the trap I just used a 2 foot piece of hickory shovel handle.

One wrack between the ear and eye knock them out. Step on the chest cavity lift up on the hind legs dead shortly.

Coons bobcats took the bullet.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
HA! I used to carry a hickory ax handle in my gun rack in my truck. My buddies started to call me Lester Maddox! Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dad carried a ballpeen hammer for Mt. Lions. but used a 22 pistol on bobcats..Lions are timid as hell, bobcats are in your face if your not careful..Ive shot Lions out of trees and off rock cliffs with a 22 pistol, shoot them in the heart and they will hang in the tree until dead then fall out..saves a lot of high dollar dogs..A head shot will knock they out of the tree, but they may hit the ground fighting an kill a dog if the head shot is off a bit too much...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120