THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    "Affordable" .22 rifles for target shooting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Affordable" .22 rifles for target shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have been moping around over at Rimfire Central lately, lurking in the CZ and Tikka forums.
I have had some very accurate CZ over the years, but am hearing a lot of gripes about increasingly spotty quality control with CZ barrels in addition to the cheapened actions.
The Tikka TX1 needs a decent wood stock -- Boyd's makes one -- but trigger and barrel quality seem to be much more consistent, just going by the online discussions -- which I realize can be nearly worthless.
Anyone else out there interested in a very accurate .22 for target work that doesn't cost four figures?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Assuming you’re not talking about benchrest competition rifles from the factory rifles you referenced, there are lots of very good used rifles floating around the market that can be had at a deal.

In that price range for new rifles it’s hard to beat the Tikka

You can find a decent entry level Remington target rifle used in that price bracket as well.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I know sometimes you just want a brand new rifle so you don't end up with a project or somebody's lemon, but it's amazing how good the old Winchester's and Remington's were. New machining is awesome, and most new rifles are way more accurate than the old stuff. But 22's might be the exception. Some had chokes lapped into the barrels.

Winchester 57's and 72's are great rifles that often shoot really well and are often cheap used. Winchester's seem to have good triggers.

Remington 511's, 513 T's and 521 T's we're incredibly accurate as "youth" target program rifles. Often stiff triggers though.

Many of both brands have great peep sights.

Of the new ones, I like the CZ's, Ruger Americans, and the Tikkas. If I had to bet, I'd bet the Tikkas would by a tiny amount be the most uniformly accurate with 10 brands of ammo. Ergonomics are good too, even though I don't like to look at them, and I hate the plastic magazines and springs on the centerfire ones. I like all the features on the Ruger Americans like adjustable comb, good irons, adjustable trigger, use of 10/22 magazines, tang safety, V block bedding, etc. Plus they're accurate. For a plastic stocked gun, I like how they look. CZ's look great and shoot great.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
You could probably pick up a good used Sako Finnfire (P94S) or Finnfire II or Quad (P04R) for less than $1K. The Finnfire II and Quad (both P04R models) have decent walnut stocks and good triggers, but these can be replaced with a Bix'n Andy trigger if you want what is probably the best trigger available. Sako barrels are accurate, and, in my opinion the P94S and P04R actions are among the very best rimfire actions. I think I'd take one of these over the Tikka T1x, although the price will be somewhat higher. With the Quad, you have the interchangeable barrels feature and could pick up 17 HMR, 22 WRM, and 17 Mach 2 barrels to go with the 22 LR barrel. These barrels are available from Sako, but also from Lilja should you want a really topnotch barrel. This all gives you a lot of versatility in a rimfire rifle.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Lots to think on. I am looking closely at the CZ 457 MTR. That stock is butt-ugly but shaped that way for a reason, and this is the only CZ bolt gun in .22 LR that gets a true match chamber so far.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Ruger American rim fire was reasonably priced, and it a squirrel killing machine, extremely accurate with CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Thanks fellas. Lots to think on. I am looking closely at the CZ 457 MTR. That stock is butt-ugly but shaped that way for a reason, and this is the only CZ bolt gun in .22 LR that gets a true match chamber so far.

Bill take a look at the Browning T Bolt, I bought one to use as a Biathlon rifle, it was one heck of a shooter right out of the box.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The X-versions of the Remington five-teens have straight barrels with no taper, seem to do well.
Their triggers are not going to get any better than 3 pounds though.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Anschutz 54 that I bought for less than four figures. Very accurate, I've won a few matches with it. There's one listed on GB with a BIN price of $949.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857379768

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Craig, I have one as well + have won matches with it too. I bought it several years ago; these new prices give me sticker shock. I know everything gone up but I'm stilled floored with current prices (that goes for at the grocery store as well ).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Macs, my first "real" .22 was a Browning T-Bolt that Dad bought for me about 1965 or so -- from the salt-cured stock era. It was incredibly accurate. I'll take a peek at the current crop, which I had overlooked.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Marlin Glenfield model 60 and told a friend I'd sell it to him, before I shot it. The thing was very accurate and I had hopes he wouldn't buy it. He did.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Craig, I have one as well + have won matches with it too. I bought it several years ago; these new prices give me sticker shock. I know everything gone up but I'm stilled floored with current prices (that goes for at the grocery store as well ).

I know what you mean. The most accurate ammo in my rifle is the Eley Match black box, and they sure aren't giving the stuff away these days.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Win mod 75 Target with a 3 digit ser# Lyman Receiver sight Mailbox Front sight that is a tack driver

Posts: 1608 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid + we lived on base, I could go to the indoor range + shoot single shot 22s W/ peeps for free. They were adamant about safety + had great instructors that were there to help you on your form. They would give you 30 free bullets; you could bring your own but the 30 per day were free. If memory serves these were Remington w/ a bull bbl. Model 51 perhaps? What a great way to spend a childhood.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Decided to gamble on a new CZ 457, the AT ONE with 16.5-inch bull barrel. Will report when I get it up and running.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
You can’t do better than this deal right here

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1078981/m/2651096752

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I picked up a IZHMASH BIATHLON BI-7-2KO .22LR TARGET RIFLE about 10 years ago for around $300 and it has been fabulous as far as accuracy. Trigger is at 2 lbs and the recessed crown on the barrel is amazingly deep.

I don't know how much they are going for now but one to look at.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote