New
Find
Notify
Tools

10/22 Free Float Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new stock touches the barrel a couple of inches before the barrel meets the action. Do I need to relieve it all the way? Any suggestions how? (I'm clumsy)

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would see how it shoots befire I started messing with it.

Posts: 497 | Location: Edgewood, Texas | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Tested 11 different ammo types and it's a bit inconsistent even with Eley Target (black).

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rather mess around with v-block that attach the barrel to the receiver. I had the same problem like you until I decided to tighten up the bolt, made a big difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norseman, Please tell more. Mess with V-block? How to tighten bolt?

NRA Patron Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the stock off and look at how the barrel is attached to the receiver.
Tighten the bolt that holding the v-grooved block onto the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1/2 a turn at a time. How old is your 10/22?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your barrel might have too much " Droop ", due to a loose " V-Block " ?

Here's a " How to video ", on a custom replacement " V-Block " & installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=youtube_gdata

Tactical Solutions V-Block.
https://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/category/1022

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'm not sure of the age (s/n 236-475XX) but the barrel, trigger, and bolt assy have been replaced. I put on a wood stock. The V block screws are really tight but the V block is OEM. I will replace with a tactical solutions and see if that helps. Again, thanks a lot for your responses.

NRA Patron Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
How did it go?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delayed response Norseman but I live in Michigan and this winter weather has been tough on shooting opportunities. That said, i ordered the V-block a week ago and will let you know. Thanks for the interest.

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got decent weather to test the 10/22. Installed the V block and free floated the barrel. Results show little difference in 50 yard groups: 0.5" - 0.6" center to center with Eley Target, Eley Edge, Wolf Match Extra, and Laupa Center-X. Disappointing. Any ideas?

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you only have one screw holding the receiver to the stock, how can you really float the barrel? The receiver and barrel pivot on the one action screw.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point butchlambert. Any suggestions? Tried 4 kinds of ammo today and most 50 yard 5 shot groups were around 0.500" (not what I expect) and then it started to throw bullets all over (from 0.480 tp 1.100). I tightened every screw I could reach, ran a couple of patches down the bore with no improvement. I'm stumped.

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Kidd or some suppliers offer a rear tang with threads that can be tig welded to the back of the receiver. You can bed and float the barrel now. Make some shims to take the horizontal movement out of the trigger assembly. Tap and thread a 10/32 screw hole in back of the receiver to allow a set screw to push the trigger assembly against the dowel pins holding it in the receiver. If you haven't replaced or modified the trigger, you need to do that. Does it have an aftermarket barrel and the brand is?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has a Green Mountain fluted sporter barrel and Hornet Products bolt and trigger group.

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of the barrel, but haven't heard of your trigger group or bolt. Doesn't mean any of them are bad. I would suggest that you do what I recommended first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice, I'll work on it and keep you posted. Again, thanks for the response.

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latest field test: Trapped a piece of plastic under the barrel toward the front of the stock. Shot decent (1/2"@50) with not very expensive ammo. This seems to indicate that my problems are indeed barrel/action movement due to the one screw holding the barreled action to the floated stock. I will test more but still looking for suggestions.

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an " FYI ".

You might go over to " Rimfirecentral.com ".

The have a dedicated "Ruger 10-22" forum.

I.E: 10-22 Tips & Tricks.
" My secret weapon! It might even be an original idea ... wouldn't that be neat!

Most of us know that one of * the keys to making the Ruger shoot is finding the just right amount of upward pressure under the front of the barrel. * I know that there are other bedding techniques that work too. But I tried this, it works for me, and why fix what ain't broken?......"

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...wthread.php?t=251034

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, as I have just built a Ruger 10/22 for my daughter, I might as well do some experimenting.

The action is very old - I got it from Steve Vogel, who sadly passed a way a long time ago.

He was married to Bill Ruger's daughter.

I have installed a match barrel on it, as well as changed the hammer and spring to a match grade one.

The old factory trigger broke at over 7 pounds. The new one breaks at just over 2 pounds.

The stock is s Brown Precision, which has a slight bulge at the tip of the barrel channel to exert some upward pressure on the barrel.

I fired a few different types of ammo in it at 50 yards, and it does shoot quite well.

I am going to clean up the stock under the action, as well as the barrel channel, and bed the action and free float the barrel.

Once that is done, I will shoot the same types of ammo again to see if there any difference.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Due to the one screw, I bed the barrel a couple inches ahead of the dovetail and bed the receiver and float the rest and has worked well in the past. I've often wondered if the barrel was fully bedded and the action was floated how it would shoot. I have 4 to build and may try this on one of them. I'll also put lock screws on the action to trigger guard pins to keep receiver and guard tight together?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Let us know how the 4 rifle build goes.

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Will do!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote