Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BL-22
 Login/Join

posted
I just joined here. I've been wanting a lever action 22 for some time. The winchetsres are out of sight in price since they quit making them and bout the same deal with Marlins. That leaves me with the Browning and the Henry. The Henry's seem to be cheaply made to me with plastic parts and an aluminum reciever painted black which leaves only the Browning that I'm seriously considering. I've never shot one and don't know anyone who owns one. Does anyone here have an opinion on them?

Posts: 13 | Location: Harm's Way | Registered: 10 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Browning and the Henry, the Browning is made better but I find myself shooting the Henry more. For some reason the henry seems to be more fun to shoot. But I cant tell you why.

If I had to pick between the two, I think that I would keep the Henry. But that is just me.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The BL-22 is a wonderful little rifle. It is well made and nicely finished. I like the way the trigger travels with the lever. You are much less likely to pinch a finger with the little thing that way.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. How would you guys say the BL-22 compares to the Win 9422? I guess I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying one when they were still making them but the Browning sounds like it might be just as nice.

Posts: 13 | Location: Harm's Way | Registered: 10 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 9422 in 22 mag. I ended up selling it because I had no use for a 22 Mag. But if it was a 22LR it would have been my favorite of the bunch.

I thought that it was really well made/designed. They are not cheap but they are really nice.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We have 8 Browning BL-22s in the family and they are all wonderfully accurate and well made lever action rimfires. Love them all! I also personally have two Winchester 9422s and they are great guns as well. You will not go wrong with a Browning or a Winchester.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The BL-22 is much lighter and trimmer than a similar Marlin, and somewhat lighter than the Win 94-22. It is barely heavier than the Henry, which has an aluminum receiver.

The Henry is okay (and American made, which is an attraction to many of us), but the BL-22 is a superior rifle.

Due to the very low "saddle" style carbine stock, none of them do well with a scope since it sits so far above the comb that it is impossible for you to have proper cheek placement. Use the irons that come on them.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both a Henry with the octagon barrel as well as the BL 22 with octagon barrel. After playing with the Henry for a couple of months have found out it is capable of 1 inch, 5 shot groups at 50 yards with Blazer ammo. Doesn't like CCI SV which shocked me. It is one slick lever action.
Havent shot the BL 22 yet but have noticed the action is not as smooth as the Henry nor is the trigger as good. But it sure looks a lot prettier than the Henry.
Both are wearing Weaver 3x9 rimfire adjustable objective scopes.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the other makes mentioned, but I do have a Browning BL22. The finish is excellent and it is just a very fine handling rifle and fun to shoot. I don't know what they go for now, but I would expect that they are not cheap.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a BL-22 and a 9422. The BL-22 is over 20 years old now and has been used a lot. The ejector rivet broke early on and I did have to change the mainspring when it weakened to the point of constant misfires. The trigger isn't that great. I like it.

My 9422 is even older but used less. It has a better trigger, more solid feel, shoots better and is all round a better gun.'Course it cost a lot more and that is the usual pattern.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes the BL22 is a great little gun, but you may not know that most of the later ones were made in japan by Miroku, and they have also sold it under their own name as the Miroku ML22. I know, I have one. Great action, accurate, and mixes short and LR without trouble. Try a search for that one. They come in a bit less expensive than the Browning.

Posts: 2 | Location: Halifax, England | Registered: 29 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YorkshireTed:
Yes the BL22 is a great little gun, but you may not know that most of the later ones were made in japan by Miroku, and they have also sold it under their own name as the Miroku ML22. I know, I have one. Great action, accurate, and mixes short and LR without trouble. Try a search for that one. They come in a bit less expensive than the Browning.

The BL-22 has always been made by Miroku in Japan. There has been no other manufacturer. I doubt the Miroku-branded equivalent being available in the U.S. due to marketing agreements, but it would be fully the equivalent in quality (not sure about finish) to the Browning-branded rifle.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi. Yes I thought they were, but I wasn't sure.
I was told that a lot were made in Belgium by FN Browning, but, hey, who cares. Great little gun. Mine has the scroll engraving, and seems to be the up-market model. Finish is superb.

Posts: 2 | Location: Halifax, England | Registered: 29 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice little rifle, I traded an M1906 Browning VP 25ACP for one.

One of the salesmen at what was at the time my favorite gun shop mentioned to everyone that he was a collector of preWW1 browning pistols and one of the other salesmen told him that I had bought the VP a couple of years before and also mentioned that I was in frequently...

well one day I cam in and he asked me I said I was interested in a trade... if he came across a Browning 22 rifle and gave him my PH#

a few weeks I got a call... I traded that 1908 vintage Browning VP even up for that BL22, he was overjoyed..

That BL22 is rarely more than 10 steps away, it is my Go-To bird feeder defense rifle.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote