Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/22 value
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
A good buddy of mine recently purchased a mint condition walnut/blued 77/22 chambered in 22 long rifle at an auction. I've seen the gun and it's in LNIB condition. No box but it has the Ruger rings and a cheap "sportview" scope. He knows I've been interested in one of these guns and is willing to sell it to me at his cost which is $530.

I'm not up on the current value of these guns so I thought I'd ask if this is a fair price.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Considering they went for around $900 new, I would jump on it.

http://m.gandermountain.com/mo...mfire-Rifle&i=417945

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That exact rifle (several available) is selling NIB on Gunbroker for about $700 plus shipping, FFL fees, etc.

Given that, I'd say that is a good but not unbelievable price for an unknown quantity (meaning you don't know if it has any problems, how it shoots, and no factory warranty) gun used. If you like it, I'd buy it, any doubts, I'd spend the extra $200 and get a new one.

PS: On GB there is at least one of the above, walnut and STAINLESS STEEL available for the same $700, etc. To each his own, but I'd rather have the SS one than the blued. Would I rather have it for $200 more???? Close call, probably not.

PPS: If the walnut stock is not a big deal to you, on GB now you can buy a synthetic stocked variety for $460 including shipping.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Still considering the gun but haven't made up my mind. I don't like the two piece bolt on these guns. I'll get together with my buddy and take it to the range to see how it shoots.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say this, given that the Ruger is American made, but if you're just looking for a really fine .22 at a reasonable price, you might consider the CZs. The 452 is out of production (mostly) but still available NIB on GB, and is being replaced by the 455. I just ordered one of each with what Marlin would call the "micro-groove" barrels, that is 12 instead of 10 grooves. I will be interested to see how they shoot.

Both of the above were quite a bit cheaper than your Ruger, including shipping, etc.

FWIW, the "military" 452, which you can get shipped for less than $400, has a good reputation.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give the CZ's a look. Does the new model 455 have the backwards safety?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. I find all the woo-ha about the safety position to be much ado about nothing. I mean, we're not talking a dangerous game rifle here where reflex action might get you in trouble with that charging elephant. I just think that any reasonably sentient shooter should be able to handle a different safety position on a .22, I certainly can.

In addition, while I'm certainly not advocating NOT using a safety, the safety of any rifle is between the handlers ears. Like I tell my kids all the time as a reminder, "muzzle control, muzzle control, etc." While embarrassing, an accidental discharge should be nothing more than that, if muzzle control is followed.

All that said, if it really bothers you, then don't buy a CZ.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
+1 on the CZ

They usually need some trigger work, but otherwise fine rifles

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retail on the Ruger 77/22 is out of line versus the CZs, but your price is in line. The Ruger can be modified with use of shim kits to improve the trigger, bolt issues and makes for a very accurate walnut and steel rim fire American mfg. rifle. Should a buyer have to go to the steps of shimming on a new rifle, well the answer is no, but such work shows much improvement and it's easy to do at fairly low cost. May not be necessary but if a new, better barrel is called for that also can be one on the top of your kitchen table, bingo! you can now say I custom built my 22 rifle.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Considering Ruger has discontinued the MFG of th4e 77-22 and other small rim fires I would jump on the $530 price.

At my local gun shop they are pretty much going for $695 on the low side and then up.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.c...products.aspx?srch=y

I own one and love it, to bad finding reasonable priced ammo is a royal pain in the Kister.

I'm downloading hornets to 22 mag speeds for a penny less than what 22LR ammo is selling for here when you find it.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
+1 on the CZ

They usually need some trigger work, but otherwise fine rifles

Mine apparently shipped today dancing Already have a scope sitting on the bench waiting for it.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You very likely can do better if you are looking for accuracy.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
A good buddy of mine recently purchased a mint condition walnut/blued 77/22 chambered in 22 long rifle at an auction. I've seen the gun and it's in LNIB condition. No box but it has the Ruger rings and a cheap "sportview" scope. He knows I've been interested in one of these guns and is willing to sell it to me at his cost which is $530.
You had better jump on that offer. That's just a little over 1/2 of what they're selling for today~!
I'm not up on the current value of these guns so I thought I'd ask if this is a fair price.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the info. Still considering the gun but haven't made up my mind. I don't like the two piece bolt on these guns. I'll get together with my buddy and take it to the range to see how it shoots.

The Remington 40X also has a two piece bolt !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve owned several. Your concern about the two piece bolt is well founded. I never got them to shoot accurately, despite bolt shims, VQ trigger parts and other enhancements. Sold mine and would never own another. It’s a shame, nice looking guns with that 10 shot rotary magazine.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His still considering it was 5 years ago. I'd think he has decided by now.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
His still considering it was 5 years ago. I'd think he has decided by now.

You're right. I decided to pass on the Ruger. A mutual friend of mine and the seller told me he was also interested in the gun, so I let him buy the rifle.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member