THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Request for information on a Browning BAR 22

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request for information on a Browning BAR 22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never seen one of these and wonder why they died so quickly. According to the browning website they were produced from 1977 to 1985. I have not been able to locate a used one but wonder if they were clunkers or what lead to their swift demise. I have a BAR 338 (no relation of course) and wondered if the BAR 22 was also an accurate autoloader. Given my experience with other off the shelf autoloader 22's, an accurate one would be a blessing.

Posts: 30 | Location: alaska | Registered: 11 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned the BPR 22, that's the pump version, for quite a few years. This version was made only '77-'82. Mine is the Grade I with a date code RP, made in 1978. There were more than 3,000 made in this the second year of manufacture, and I think more BAR's were made than BPR's.

It is very accurate out to about 50 yards which is my self imposed limit for any 22 rimfire. I have not seen another one like it. Browning also made a lever version, the BLR.

My opinion is the high cost to manufacture a machined receiver, high polish bluing and fancy grained walnut priced it out of existance. I could be wrong.

Here is the link to date most Brownings by serial number.
http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/index.asp

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryldouthat: Don't have any experience with one but here is one for sale:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976652366.htm

And another:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976667067.htm

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pretty decent one at a pawn shop a few years ago. Shoots very accurately and has a good trigger compared to most .22's. Mine has had some feeding issues that seem to be related to the little piece of bent metal above the chamber that serves as a kind of feed ramp. Some ammunition does better than others in regard to feeding, but I feel like all problems could be solved if I got a hold of one of the field service manuals (not owners handbook) for the model. I've seen them on ebay from time to time, but the price was a little stiff.

The gun is compact but has a very solid feel and appropriate heft for a serious .22. Mine's mounted with a 4x Leupold Rimfire, which seems a very good match for it.

I passed up a BPR recently, but wish I hadn't. The really rare items are the BPR .22 WMR's.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple currently still have one. they are to me one of the most naturally pointing stock 22's out there. both of mine shot quite well they are definitely heavier than most semi auto .22's but that is what happens when you make something out of walnut and steel rather than plastc and aluminum. the Only drawback that i have found is that when they get dirty they start to jam and have to be taken apart and cleaned. and mine would will only occasionally go 500 rounds without needing it. they are pretty easy to strip down though.