New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22WRF
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Refresh my memory! Can a .22WRF (Winchester Rimfire) be shot in a .22 WM rifle safely?

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They are both the same as far as I know.

May be someone can enlighten us otherwise.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the .22WRF used a 45 gr. bullet and the case was shorter. But that is all that I remember.

This came about during a discussion at the range where a friend was shooting his .22 Mag.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can, but why would you. There are WRF rifles out there, that the ammo is hard to find for. It seems a run of it comes along every dogs age, and WM is made everyday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because if you have the ammo and no rifle----why but an uncommon rifle just to shoot the ammo?

I believe that I read that it was a very good round for squirrel, etc. due to having a little more spunk that a .22 LR but not as destructive as a .22 mag. and the flat? nosed bullet was a better killer than a round nose.

Hip

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes safe to shoot the older .22WRF in a .22WMR chambered rifle, cases are the same dimension except for length, the WRF being 0.092" shorter.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure sell it for enough to buy two boxes of WM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx Eagle!

Hip

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but not visa versa..shooting wrf in your 22 win mag tends to lead up the chamber and throat.

growing up my brother and I hunted antelope and a few deer with the wrf Win pump..poor choice but turned out to be perfect for turkeys in the roost tree behind the house. It was a ranch my dad leased in Mexico across from our ranch in Texas..

The wrf and the 22 win mag are ideal Javalina calibers but then so is the 22LR

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote