New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning T-bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone want to comment on this model? I picked one up at a gunshow last weekend and it looks like a pretty well-made and cleverly designed little gun. What should I have paid for it (T-2 checkered model with oil finish)?

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are great, aren't they? mine is the one with the plain stock, no checkering, but same mechanicals. The only thing I don't like is the difficulty in adjusting the trigger. Dunno about the USA, but here in OZ it would go for about $500 or so, in good condition.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: These are finely made and accurate little Rifles! I have owned at least five of them over the years and I personally never fired any of them.
I simply recognized their popularity and quality and bought and sold them simply for profit!
Several of my friends do own them and they do shoot well!
I was laways hesitant over the bolt locking lug system they incorporate as it looked "different" to me! But I have never heard of even one failure of the bolt locking lug system.
Some models came with a "slip on" rear sight that was a peep model and slid onto the receiver and was then screwed down for tightening as I recall. Those peep sights are VERY expensive and very hard to find! If yours has one be forewarned.
Don't lose it.
Good luck with it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree it should be a nice gun, especially with the nicer walnut stock. I haven't seen one in years around here. My year old price book puts a T-2 at $450 for Excellent $280 for Very Good and $300 for Good. At a gun show you may have paid more and I wouldn't be surprised that it's probably worth it. If you paid less, well I'm glad someone is lucky.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had one since I was seventeen, about thirty years, and have put several thousand rounds through it. It still locks up and shoots like it did when new, which is to say great. The only caution is to look out for what are called "salt wood" guns. You will know them if the metal in contact with the wood is rusted. A typical used price for a T-2 in excellent shape is in the $300 to $400 range. The T-1s are usually about $100 to $150 less.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I mounted a 2.5 scope (only thing I had loose) on this one to check its accuracy. The groups were actually smaller than the resolution of the low-powered scope, so I can't complain of anything in accuracy category. Fortunately, I don't feel the need for an additional magazine -- one just sold on eBay for nearly eighty dollars!

I had a dealer friend offer to give me what I paid if I didn't want to keep the gun, so I can surmise that I must have gotten a pretty good buy. If anyone knows where a left-hand model is, I might be a buyer or willing to trade this one.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, do you want the good news or the bad? The good news is I know where you can find one of the very few LH ones made. The bad news, the guy wants $1200 for it. Otherwise my wife would have it right now. The other bad news, the LH ones use a different magazine to the RH ones.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw in the new Guns & Ammo that Browning is reintroducing their T-Bolt. I'm guessing the reincarnation is made in Japan, but the article doesn't say.

Curious thing about the reintroduction of models is that it usually (but not always) hikes the price of the originals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Go to the Browning site and you can see pics of the new T bolt. I say new because there are a few changes visible on their site, example a new tang safety.
I got one of the shorter models 30 years ago. A very nice gun. Mine has the peep version of the rear sight and I was also wise enough to invest in a second mag more than 25 years ago. Mine seems to like Stingers the best of the ammo I have tried.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like everything I see on the website about that new T-Bolt: Straighter stock (better for scope use), well-positioned tang safety, 10-shot magazine, 22 instead of 24 inch barrel. Just wish they would offer it in a lefty (and at about half the retail price!).