New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally found one after 40 years -
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a rifle I shot 40 years ago and really liked it .The rifle was a Winchester model 275 22 win mag pump rifle .I am going to have to scope it .I can't got anything with iron sites any more .I hope it's not ammo picky I had some ammo and found some on clearance .I hope to use it on hogs on some of our wma hunts that require 22 Rim fire .I use to shoot a 22 mag at rabbits I remember it blew their heads off .The ammo sure is expensive about the same as 223 and you can't reload 22 win mag .Anyway I really like pump 22 rifles and this one will only be better .I can't wait to shoot it and hunt with it .I probalky will put a Nikon 4×12 on it .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first 22 was a Christmas present from mom and dad in 1964. It was a pump Winchester model 270. That’s the 22 Lr version of what you have. Sold it long ago, but wish I still had it, for sentimental reasons.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried or seen the win. mod. 61 in 22 magnum pump....that was a favorite of mine, and most shot great. It was the ideal turkey gun, and that pleased mama who said all you guys want to eat is fried deer meat..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm all for versatility in the meat diet.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have the first Winchester leveraction 10-22 mag rifle sold in El Paso Texas under 10000 seral No.That is the best .22 mag rifle I have ever owned. That rifle has accounted for a lot of game over the last 35 years.
I also have a Winchester mod 61 22 lr pump that belonged to my uncle for years before he died, and I'm sure that little 22 rifle accounted for a lot of deer , knowing my late
uncle. That rifle was bought new by my uncle
back in the 1940s and is still a tack driver, but I certainly do not shoot deer with it, but it has taken a lot of coyotes, and jack rabbits.
Oh for those old days in the mountains around El Paso, Texas.

………......……...…......….. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Many years ago Clarence McDonald and I leased from the city the mountain range you speak off for cattle along with the old Threadgill ranch in the flats on the east side..I shot several Mule deer around the tin mines that were very close to the top of the highest part of that range. The ranch had about 40 "usable" sections suitable for cattle due to a lack of water, but was great cattle range on that part and the lease was dirt cheap, I don't believe it was ever hunted for deer other than by us...I shot 4 bucks over the years on it that the smallest one was 32 inches and the lagest was 38-5/8s..I saw a few while working cattle that would make 40"s or more best I could tell..I recall one of those monsters got lost in the Drive IN theater and made headlines, needless to say he went back up on top...the northern border of that land was white Sands military property behind the NM college and Cox ranch just out of Las Cruces and back then none of this mil. land had been hunted in 30 or so years as it was a bombing range, and on two occasions I had to go reclaim cattle that had slipped over there and Ive never seen so many big bucks in one day. Hard country to get around in and took a damn good horse to handle it and we had some nice saddle mules also..I love that desert..At some point the Army opened that country for a rifle hunt and I got the job of checking hunters in and out on the East side, boy they killed some nice deer, and all had stories of monsters that got away..most of which ran onto my place where season was closed in Texas and was not military land..I sure that's all changed today as that was in the early 1950s..My partner was a EL Paso city policeman and I was a El Paso County Sheriff Deputy and a very young rancher..You brought back a lot of forgotten memories, thanks.

BTW is any of you El Paso boys want a big deer just head to the top of Mt.Franklin where the old tin mines are, that's where they live and its hard hunting..Its city land, I doubt if they care who hunts there or even know theres deer to be hunted?????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote