New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At the Tulsa Arms Show a couple of months ago, I was finally able to pick up my ultimate 22 rifle. I've looked for one of these Dakota 22's for years and have always either been a little too late or the price was WAY over what I could afford. The thing that has always been my favorite part about these rifles is that they have a floor plate covering the magazine and are sized more like a normal centerfire rifle. It also shoots surprisingly well for a 22 sporter, and will run right along side my dad's Anchutz 54 Sporter. The pictures of the targets are 5 shot groups at 50 yards with SK Standard Plus.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
A real shooter. Never saw one before. Floor plate is interesting feature.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never found an exact number of how many they made but it was less than 500. This one was made in 1992. It is the first one that I have ever seen in person.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I'm in love... thanks for sharing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here it is with its big brother, my dad's Dakota 76 in 270.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice find.

I remember talking to Allen's wife about ordering one, and by the time she got done ticking boxes it was $7500 and I told her that wasn't going to work for me.

She said that was fine, just keep them in mind when I got to that point of my life, where dropping $7500 on a 22lr was a thing.

Yours is the only one I have seen since they stopped production.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Nice find.

I remember talking to Allen's wife about ordering one, and by the time she got done ticking boxes it was $7500 and I told her that wasn't going to work for me.

She said that was fine, just keep them in mind when I got to that point of my life, where dropping $7500 on a 22lr was a thing.

Yours is the only one I have seen since they stopped production.

Wow, the one you were pricing must have been very optioned out! I have the factory paperwork from this one and it cost $995 from them in 1992, but this one was just the standard model.
I saw one go for a little north of $8000 on Gunbroker a few months ago, but it was the most optioned out one that I've ever seen, with exhibition wood, quarter rib, and a few other options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never have seen one or heard of them.
Nice rifle though.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jmbrown, I looked at a Dakota Sporter .22LR at last spring's Wanenmacher's show. The seller was a dealer from Ohio or Minnesota, or someplace like that, and was asking $3500.00. I looked hard at it (he went down to $3200 for a cash deal), but as he was an out-of-state seller, it would have had to been transferred via an in-state FFL. No problem with that, just more hassle than I wanted to endure so I walked away from it. I wonder if it was/is the same rifle? It certainly looks like a shooter! Looks like a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR scope...whatever it is, it certainly complements that fine looking rifle. Congratulations on picking one up! They've been a dream of mine since 1993.

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mightymouse! I never saw the one at the Spring show but have heard a couple of other people say that they did. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the same one because I always swing by this guy's table and I now I didn't see it in the spring. That is a 3-9x33 EFR. It seems to be about the absolute perfect scope to go with this rifle.

It has turned out to be the perfect little squirrel rifle too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jmbrown, looking at the pics, yours has better wood than the one I saw at the Spring show, which was quite plain considering the asking price. At the Fall show, there was a fella with a Cooper/Anschutz and a Steyr Zephyr on his table, nice rifles both. Another dealer had a custom Anschutz 1422 in an absolutely stunning sporter stock, with about the nicest wood I've ever seen on a .22 rifle. I do like high-end .22 rifles! Congrats again on your acquisition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I would have seen those there. There is so much at the Wannamacher show that it is hard to see everything there. There was also a 40x sporter repeater there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cooper/Anschutz is a rare gem. Starting with an Anschutz 1710 barreled action, Cooper then stocked them in-house, and sold them as complete rifles. Only about 150 were ever built. The combination of an Anschutz 54 barreled action in a classic American stock is my idea of rimfire perfection. The one at the Fall show, though, had rather plain wood. I've never been a 40x fan, mainly because the big rifle receiver seems out of proportion compared to the little .22 cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only seen the Cooper Anschutz online, but it was wonderful looking rifle. My dad has a 54 Sporter and it is one of my favorite 22s of all time. The action is wonderfully smooth and it shoots amazing!

The larger action of the 40x is one of the things that I actually like about them. I still like this Dakota more though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz is my favorite. A couple of mine: a 1710 DHB and a custom-stocked 54 sporter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Jmbrown,
I love beautiful 22 rifles probably more than beautiful center fire rifles and my friend that is one beautiful 22 rifle.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this rifle black fore end tip and sights it will at 24 A end cap not for sale just to show off luepold lyman scope

Gar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think 297 is all that was built

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle. I've owned model 76's in centerfire models, never in rimfire. I was told it was modeled after the Win. 52 in design.
A left hand one just sold at Amoskeag Auction for $5,750 plus fees. XX walnut.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had a lot of people asking about my dakota at the show most didn't know what it was